Sig 226 slide stop/catch not catching after last shot

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by VolGrad, Aug 19, 2007.

1. VolGrad

VolGrad Tactical Statistician

Question - I just fired my new P226 9mm today for the first time. I ran about a dozen mags through it. It shoots great. I love it. However, the slide actually stayed open after the last shot only a couple of times. I would go to fire the next shot and it would dry fire. I opened the slide to see it empty. After the first couple of times I think I could actually feel the difference when it would slide forward without pushing a cartridge into the chamber. I didn't do a full cleaning of the gun before I fired it the first time but didn't think it would make much of a difference. I was shooting cheap ammo too, but don't think that should matter for this problem either. It wasn't like it was having FTF or jamming stovepipes. I was shooting Remington UMC 115 gr. FMJ. Any ideas? I am going to clean it good and try again as soon as possible but it will be at least a week or more before I can get back to the range. Are there any other factors which could cause this? Should I take it somewhere to have it checked out?

2. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

Is it a problem with certain magazines?

3. VolGrad

No. It came with three, I used two of them and both had the same problem. (I kept the third mag in my pocket, loaded with good ammo.)

The mags are Sig factory mags. My 229 has never done this.

Side note: Every time I have been to the range with other people present, they always want to try one of my Sigs. Everyone seems to know they are great pistols. However, it almost seems like no one has ever fired one. I have heard only great feedback.

4. GunNut

GunNut New Member

I'd suspect the magazines as well. Are they all Sig brand?

5. VolGrad

Yes, Sig mags from the factory. They are the ones which came with the gun.

6. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

Did you try different ammo and then go back to the ammo when the trouble came about? Just trying to narrow down as many variables as possible.

7. larz

larz Member

8. VolGrad

Thanks. Great info. These mags were brand new and had never been loaded. I guess I have to go to the range more to "break it in".

Strange though, I haven't had the same experience with my 229 (.40). From what some posts on the other forum said though, it might be limited to the 9 mm.

Now, I just have to try to not sucked in to the Sig Forum.

9. legacy38

legacy38 Active Member

It is most likely the mags (followers usually) or the slide stop itself. Give Sig a call, and they will most likely send you replacements. You could try other mags to help diagnose the problem. Due to the Sig's slide stop placement, it is unlikely that you are holding down the slide stop with your thumbs as sometimes happens with other pistols.

Are the slide stop on the 229 and 226 the same? If so, try swapping them to see if that fixes it. At least then you would know.

10. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

Sure you're not just riding the top of the slide stop with your thumb?

This is the same problem I have with my Sig.

11. VolGrad

I don't think I am riding the slide stop but will take particular note next range trip. I did some more reading on the SigForum and found many posts related to this issue. It seems the concensus is that the 9mm Sigs sometimes don't like the cheap 115 grain ammo for the first couple of hundred rounds. I will give it a thorough cleaning, a good lube, load the mags and let the springs get broken in, and try it again. I will keep everyone posted.

12. LonelyMachines

LonelyMachines New Member

Give it a good cleaning, and try again.

Sigs don't usually need a break-in, but they DO like to be run wet. Make sure the rails are well lubed.

It may be a thumb-position issue as well. I'm carrying a wheelgun at the moment, and when I fired a Sig the other day, I noticed the same thing. Turned out I was getting a bit lazy, and my thumbs were riding high enough to depress the slide-stop.

13. wsweeks2

wsweeks2 New Member

Check your thumbs, but this would only be a problem for someone who's a righty. I never had the problem from my thumb hitting it as I'm a southpaw.

The only time I did have a problem with the slide catch working was with the original mag that came with my 226. The spring was worn out. After replacing the spring, it was fine.

Being a new gun though, I wouldn't think this would be the problem.

Keep us posted.

14. Firearmz

Firearmz New Member

Thumb on the slide stop, I would be willing to bet this is it, I do it to mine and have seen one hundred other do it also.

15. larz

larz Member

Well went to the range today and had no problems....even used some the the re-loads I used the other week. Problem solved.

16. VolGrad

UPDATE:

I took my 226 back to the range this past weekend. After my first trip I went home and gave it a good cleaning and applied lube as required.

I began firing the same mags, with the same ammo brand/type as before. The slide still would not lock back after the last round. Side note: I might have lubed the thing a little too much because it was throwing it out left and right. I was careful to watch the placement of my thumb to make sure I wasn't hitting the slide stop.

I kept firing more mags until finally it just started catching. I guess it just needed a few rounds through it to "get acquainted". I would estimate I fired approximately 400 rounds between the two trips before it started catching properly. After that it was fine.

I guess the Sig 9 mms do sometimes have a "breaking in period".