SHTF. One long-gun. One handgun. Which ones?

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by foshizzle, Jul 1, 2007.

1. foshizzle

foshizzle New Member

We need one of these posts on GPDO. SHTF talk!

Civil unrest has reared it's ugly head in Georgia. You are forced to either bug out to the hills or relocate to a more strategic position. You can take one rifle and one handgun. You can carry enough ammo to say, fit in a small backpack. Of course, it's SHTF, so you have no idea if you will be able to resupply, be it ammo or food, so carrying your Barrett .50 may not be practical. You know the drill... what will you take?

Personally, I would take:

Rifle: My AK. I would feel very sad leaving the rest of the family behind but it is hands down the most reliable all around rifle I own. The AR is pretty nice but I'm not sure I trust it's reliability in the field. The ammo would be a bit heavier as would all these steel magazines I have, but I can't think picking the AK would be a bad idea.

Pistol: My .357 Rossi. I have quite few other handguns, but I sure like the firepower of the .357 with the readily available and light .38 special... not to mention the adapter in which I can fire 9mm in a pinch. That's three calibers, all of which I could probably scrounge all of which are good for killing most beasties in North America at close range. It's only 6 shots, but with a 6" barrel I could probably make up for capacity with my hellacious accuracy.

Of course, I would cry with the thousands of dollars of cool stuff I left behind, but oh well. Nobody said SHTF would be without sacrifices.

2. wsweeks2

wsweeks2 New Member

I'd take an AR 15 and my Glock 23. I have enough mags for my G23 that reloading wouldn't be much of an issue.

Just my $.02

3. Sine Nomen

Sine Nomen New Member

For a handgun I think I'd have to go with a Glock 17 or 19. They are practically indestructible, can hold up to 33+1 rounds, use the ultra-common 9x19 cartrige, and have easily accessible parts and accessories.

4. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

HHmmm my M&P-9 will definately come with me. As far a long gun... My Mauser and M44 both have more of a punch than my AR, but the AR is lighter, has lighter ammo and is semi auto. I say the AR. .223 ammo is deadly enough and would be easier to find than 7.62x54R or 7.65X53.

5. legacy38

legacy38 Active Member

Longarm would probably be an Arsenal AK with an EOTech mounted on it with one of the detachable side mounts. Sidearm would be a Glock 17 or 34.

6. AV8R

AV8R Banned

No battle rifle yet. :( So I would have to bring my 30.06 and the wife would have to hold the 12 ga. I would be carrying my XD40 while the wife brings our S&W model 20 (38/44 Heavy Duty).

You did say one long gun and one handgun per adult, right? :wink:

Seriously though... I'm looking for something in the way of an AK or FAL for just this reason. I need a bit more variety of handguns, too. I'm looking forward to more SHTF threads, though. As prepared as I think I am, I want to learn from everyone else's ideas and thoughts.

7. asbrand

asbrand Active Member

Prolly would be my carbine H&K91 clone (FA91) in .308 and my 1911-A1 .45 ACP for a sidearm.

Mainly because the H&K is the size of an AK, and packs more of a punch with .308, and I have 5 mags with it.

Otherwise, it'd be my Chinese SKS with a folding stock put on it (sitting in closet now) and a few of the 30 round duckbill mags.

8. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

Gotta go with what I have on hand.

AR and Glock.

9. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

+1

AK and Glock for me, though.

10. wsweeks2

wsweeks2 New Member

What caliber is your Glock Ramm?

If it's a .40 cal - we need to meet up if the S ever HTF. Strength in numbers.

:wink:

11. M249

M249 New Member

AR and a pointy stick.

12. tace

tace New Member

I would bring my XDsc 9mm but I don't have a long gun, yet. Probably end up with one from the raffle though ;)

At the worst I would have to steal one of yours when you are sleeping. Heh.

Actually, kidding aside, my next firearm purchase will either be a 12 ga or a 9mm carbine. I am a big believer in having to carry only one caliber and I think a 9mm carbine would create a big enough hole to take down most zombies.

I would probably take a bunch of Blackhills 9mm HP and Speer GDHPs for ammo.

13. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

A 9mm. I sold my .40 to ptsmith.

But we can still meet up and blast some zombies. :D

14. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

That's a good idea AV8R!! I'll give my wife the AR and I'll do some blasting with my Mosin M-44. :twisted:

15. Wiley

Wiley New Member

My only requirment is that both the rifle and handgun use the same ammo.

So for me it would be .44 mag carbine and revolver. I don't know of a .44 mag pistol.

16. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

Desert Eagle !!!

17. USMC - Retired

USMC - Retired New Member

While on the surface same ammo may seem to be an advantage, it could turn out to be otherwise. When your out of one type of ammo your out for both your weapons, if I have two different choices the chances of finding ammo for one of them are greater.

I think a Rifle in .223 (Mini-14) and a Pistol in 9mm (P-85) would be a good choice.

18. Mobster989

Mobster989 New Member

If the SHTF I wouldn't limit myself to one rifle. I'd carry my AK and sling my Mauser, with my USP in the leg holster. And if my wife was with me I'd give her the Mossberg. I have a vest with pouches to carry 4 30rd mags, the 75 rd drum, and 2 12 rd mags for my USP.

Now for the sake of the one rifle one handgun thing I'd take the AK and the USP. The AK is reliable and the ammo is cheap and I have pouches for all the magazines. I doubt I'll be picking people off in a SHTF scenario, it'd be more like a horde of 'em to blast so pinpoint accuracy isn't a biggy. And the USP is a no-brainer because I don't have any other pistol. :) The only reason I'd even use the damn thing if I was carrying my AK would be if the AK jammed (haha, yea right), ran out of ammo, or wasn't within reach.

19. Sharky

Sharky New Member

My 9mm Taurus
    Remmy 1100 - 12ga!

20. AeroShooter

AeroShooter New Member

Myself:

Handgun -- Glock 23 -- never leave home w/out it.

Rifle -- sporterized SKS with the nifty combat sites.

Wifey:

Handgun -- Taurus 605 -- 'cuz wheel guns never jam

Rifle -- Rem. 522 -- so's we can harvest the critters and eats them (and trade for more ammo if necessary)