Showing Police Officer GFL

Discussion in 'General GWL Questions' started by NetAdminWithGun, Mar 22, 2007.

1. NetAdminWithGun

NetAdminWithGun New Member

I was recently pulled over for having a headlight out and as i reach for my information i decided to try something, I handed him my GFL as well as my usual stuff.

This was not a good idea.

First, it was around 9 at night and it was cold out. The conversation went something along these lines:

"Do you have a firearm with you"
    "Yes"
    "Where is it?"
    "Here in my holster on my hip"
    "Step out of the car and put your hands above your head, Where is it exactly"
    "Right side"

He then takes my Beretta 92fs, my spare mag and my holster.

"Go stand behind your car and keep your hands out of your pockets"

so here I am standing in the cold just wondering what he is doing. After about 5 to 10 minutes he comes back

"Your gun isn't on file being registered to you. Its not on file at all"

Ok now i'm just confused, I own 8 guns and not a single one is registered to anyone. Let alone why would i have a stolen gun with a legit permit?

This is where i start to get a little bit bothered by this whole thing, but i try really hard to be nice since the only time i have ever been arrested it was for being a smart ass. (And yes it turns out they can arrest you for that)

"Umm, ok, i dont think i will be showing any more police my GFL then. Its not worth it, i was trying to be polite."

"No, you NEED to"

"I have no legal obligation to do so so I wont next time"

"If we see it its the difference between you being PULLED out of the car at gunpoint"

"Then I'll be sure to hide it, Thanks"

He then explains he wants me to open the trunk so he can place my firearm in there and i can get it after he leaves.

Laughing I said "right-O" , he placed it in there, i shut it, he started to leave, i opened it, loaded it and put it back in its rightful place.

He didn't say a thing about my headlight though. I'm going to try this again if i get caught speeding.

I understand them wanting to know, i would, what i dont understand is being treated like a criminal, If i wanted to shoot him i would have when he came up not after he ran my gun, not after he let me go, just pisses me off thinking about it.

And in case you were wondering i wasn't looking "thugish" or anything, i was in my business clothes and driving my 98 Lincoln Town Car.

Anyone else have any problems like this?

2. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

:lol:

3. Malum Prohibitum

I would file a complaint, in writing.

It will make you feel better.

4. NetAdminWithGun

Thats a good idea, but I didn't get his name or anything. Next time I will be sure to do so. Has anyone else tried showing an officer your GFL?

5. Malum Prohibitum

They'll have his name from the date and time of the stop. There is probably even a video you can get with an open records act request.

6. Malum Prohibitum

Once, years ago, and he practically threw it back at me through the window, grumbling, "I don't need that! That does not do me one bit of good!"

I figured it might have done him some good if I stepped out with a .45 on my hip.

I also once volunteered that I had a firearm (openly) in the car, but not a firearms license. The officer went into unfriendly mode and disarmed me and ran the serial number of the gun and brought it back to me with every single round loose out of the magazine. He told me not to load it until he drove away, but since I had already started the car, I pulled about ten yards away and very visibly loaded the gun before leaving.

I popped in the spare magazine, racked the slide, and then drove away! :D

I guess he did not notice that spare sitting in the console. :lol:

7. kkennett

kkennett New Member

In what jurisdiction did this occur?

8. NetAdminWithGun

i LOVE your little dialogue of what i should have said, would have added a 2nd arrest though.

You can get the recording of the stop at request? Holy crap I didn't know that.

9. NetAdminWithGun

Woodstock, was right on Arnold mill Rd just before the police station.

10. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

No, but I was stopped a few weeks ago for ignoring a "right lane must turn right in the stupid shopping center and NOT the redlight just past the driveway "sign. I was not carrying at the time. I asked the officer if he personally would want to be informed and shown my GFL if I was carrying. He replied that he wouldn't care as long as I didn't reach for a gun. He also said that he assumed that I was carrying, due to the NRA decal on my truck.

11. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

[​IMG]

:D

12. pro2am

pro2am New Member

Technically, my address is Acworth, although it's in Cherokee county. I frequent the Woodstock/Towne Lake area often. I haven't really ever heard anything good about Woodstock police in terms of how they interact with the public.

Of course, "good" incidents don't get reported, but I tend to hear more "poor" incidents about this particular department as compared to others.

13. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

The one time I got pulled over I put my GFL under my license and gave him both. He looked at the license then at the GFL and it basically when something like this:
    "Do you have a firearm on you now?"
    "Yes officer"
    "Where is it?"
    "Right hip."
    "Slowly, with your left hand get the pistol and put it on the dash."
    "um...my left hand officer?"
    "Yes."
    "....alright..."

Then I get it and put it on the dash. He takes the Glock drops the mag and racks the slide. Then he puts it on the roof. Glock, mag, and cartridge. He runs my stuff and comes back and cuts me a ticket. He says he took some mph off because I told him about the whole GFL thing. I sign the citation and he tells me not to touch the Glock until he drives away.

Next time I am probably not going to say a thing. I don't like having to handle a loaded firearm, especially when I have to retrieve it from an awkward position.

14. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday New Member

Why do cops act like this? Why do they fear us? If the FBI/GBI trust me with this permit why can't they? Don't they realize that that they have a better chance of being struck by a bolt of lightning during a traffic stop than from a bullet from a license holder? All of this disarming crap is asking for an AD/ND.

15. NetAdminWithGun

I just dont understand the thought process; If i am showing you my GFL that kinda means i'm not going to try to kill you. Dont get me wrong i have spoken with some decent cops and went on ride alongs but some of these guys need a reality slap.

16. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday New Member

I read about a horror story one time where a guy showed a GFL to a young GSP officer during a road block and was immediately greeted with the muzzle of the officers G22. The officer btw had his finger on the trigger. #-o Long story short, one of the older officers took control of the situation, gave the rook some advice, and sent the guy down the road.

It is experiences like this that make me distrust Law Enforcement. I am up in arms about what I should do when I am pulled over. I know that if I were a LEO I would want to know but I sure don't want to be harrassed and treated like a criminal either. I don't want to have to try to explain laws to officers that should already know them. I don't want to have to explain why the revolver I am carrying was once registered to the Fulton County Sheriff's Department. (M65, bought by my brother from a deputy and given to me as a gift. I do carry it from time to time.)

17. glockgirl

glockgirl New Member

Looking at this from the cops perspective I would want you to tell me and I might secure the weapon during the stop but I don't think I would be rude about it.

not all GFL holders are as responsible as the ones that hang out on here....

I do agree with the cop that said he assumed you were carrying due to the NRA sticker... good pick up on his part

Honestly though one of my friends out in the county used to carry at least 3 pistols and 2 riles at all times in the truck.... it would take him forever to remember where all the weapons were.

18. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

I understand the whole thought process of "I am going home at the end of my shift." and I can respect that. However, if I show you my GFL why the hell would I want to shoot you? Obviously, I jumped through every stupid little hoop just so I can carry my noisemaker legally....why would I throw everything away by trying to shoot a cop?

If there are any LEOs who are reading this, please post. I am interested in your perspective.

19. NetAdminWithGun

Well i'm glad i could stir up so much crap on my first post. You guys kick ass, I plan on joining and hopefully meeting some of you guys for some fun.

20. lsu_nonleg

lsu_nonleg New Member

Woo hoo! Maybe ignorant, overaggressive cops, sheeple PTA soccer moms at Kroger and the AJC are our best recruiting tool! 8)