Show quality Dobermans?

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by Tinkerhell, Jun 8, 2017.

1. Tinkerhell

Tinkerhell Active Member

Anyone know a vet that works with a+ quality confirmation dobies? I'm looking around for a well experienced & skilled vet for clipping a new pups ears.

2. Nemo

Nemo Man of Myth and Legend

If they were meant to have clipped ears, they would have been born with clipped ears.

I never could understand the idea of tail or ear clipping or any of that other chopping off parts of puppies.

Nemo

3. Tinkerhell

Tinkerhell Active Member

That's ok. It's not going to be your dog so you can have any opinion about dogs you'd like. Me too!!
    :)

4. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

5. EJR914

EJR914 Cheezburger Operator

This. I feel this way about it.

6. TITAN308

TITAN308 :) :) :)

My dog of choice is Welsh Corgis. They have their tails docked at 2-5 days old.

Dunno what people want me to say, it is what it is.

Then again I have a special bond with them, my "tail" was docked too in a sense.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 9, 2017
  7. Dawgdoc

Dawgdoc Well-Known Member

My boss does ear cropping, but I fortunately have not had to learn that particular procedure. Of all the surgeries we do, ear cropping has some of the worst complication rates. Add to the fact that Doberman's have a higher incidence of a certain clotting disorder, which can magnify the complications.

My boss thinks uncropped Dobermans look like coonhounds. He may be right, but I don't think they look bad at all. Veterinarians who do ear cropping are eventually going to fade away; they don't teach it in veterinary school, so a new vet would have to learn the procedure from an old vet, and many vets are like me (more than happy to not have to cut off ears).

We're in Tennessee, so probably not much help to you.

8. Tinkerhell

Tinkerhell Active Member

I think your boss is right and I don't think there is anything wrong with the way coonhounds look. Actually I think they look pretty good. Almost like a doberman. :rotfl:

I know there is a relatively significant movement to end cropping. A large portion of European countries no longer do it. Didn't know they don't teach it in Vet school though my first question would be is that whatever school you went to or all schools?.... :)

And I honestly don't care if the custom fades out and eventually no one does it. FBM. But I suspect that until & unless the the AKC changes the standard (or more judges ignore the standard and celebrate floppy ears and long tails) then the tradition isn't going to go away anytime soon. I think as of last year a grand total of 6 dogs with natural ears/tail have been deemed champs.

As for me, I was raised with the breed and they simply do not look correct to me without the cropped ears & bobbed tail. No one else has to like it as far as I am concerned, I'm not the designated defender of the practice. So if someone thinks I'm horrible for it, that's cool, like I said, everyone is entitled to their opinion. But if I'm considering dropping $2k on dog then it's going to look like what I want it to. :)

Fine conversation though.

9. Dawgdoc

Dawgdoc Well-Known Member

UGA definitely doesn't teach it, and I would be surprised if any vet school teaches it. I didn't even learn to declaw cats in school, and that is a far more common procedure. I would imagine that if one were to poll the surgery faculty at all US vet schools about ear cropping, one would receive responses that range from a polite "Unnecessary" to a sneering "Barbaric."

10. MedicOxford

MedicOxford New Member

I think that unless the AKC changes their stance and vets that are experienced in this become harder to find then people will start doing it themselves much like some do with Pits and other fighting dogs

11. Myright

Myright Freedom Loving Citizen

Same goes for human penis chopping.

12. TITAN308

TITAN308 :) :) :)

I'd be more pissed at people who continue to breed and buy PUGS.

Imagine if you will humans suddenly had the ability to breed babies with guaranteed health abnormalities just because they look cute. (which is subjective as hell anyhow with those ugly damn things)

"Oh your baby is so cute, nevermind it can't F'n breath right"