Shoulder Holster for CCW?

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by Adam5, Mar 14, 2007.

1. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

I've been thinking about getting a shoulder rig for CCW use. In cold weather I can use a fleece sweater to cover it, and in warm weather I normally have t-shirt with a open/semi-open button down over that could conceal it. It would be nice to get one rig that, with a simple component swap, could be used to carry my Glock, or my Walther. I know that it probably wouldn't replace my OWB or IWB holsters completely, but it would offer another option. Does anyone here have experience with one? Any thoughts or opinions?

2. slabertooch

slabertooch New Member

Wouldn't reccommend a shoulder rig for anything other that under jacket wear, or open carry. I have a shoulder rig, but never wear it due to the fact that I feel that it would take too much time to draw a pistol from under a shirt. You would have to reach up and into your shirt/sweater, and then have to withdraw the pistol out cleanly. Last thing you would want is to get hung up on your shirt/sweater in a stressfull situation.

3. rajl

rajl Guest

2nd slabertooch. It's going to be really cumbersome drawing from the shoulder when you have a sweater or tshirt on top of it.

4. Dadx4

Dadx4 Member

I have a good friend who carries a Beretta 96 in a Galco Jackass Rig (basically same as the "Miami Vice" rig) and likes it very much, but he pretty much gave up on the warm weather use of it for the reasons listed by slabertooch and rajl. It works great under any sort of jacket, but when summer comes, he switches to an IWB.

5. Macktee

Macktee New Member

6. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

I'm going to wait for winter before getting one. I probably won't use it much in the Summer.

7. grayelky

grayelky New Member

Having gone thru a number of shoulder holsters, save yourself some money and start with a Galco. There is a reason they are not cheap. Whatever brand you get, get one with the wide shoulder straps. Think back to your deer gun. A 1" wide shoulder strap cuts into your should from the weight of the rifle. Next trip you have a wider, padded strap. Same things goes for carrying a shoulder holster. Bianchi makes a pretty good one w/ wide straps. The Galco is just more comfy. Get the one w/ the magazine/ammo pouch on the off side. They also make an option to carry a magazine and a flashlight. Not a bad idea. Expect to spend over $125.00 for a decent rig. I suggest a black one, as it blends in w/ the clothing most people wear most often. If your gun is "black", it will help to blend even better.

It sounds good to get one rig and swap holsters for a different gun. By the time you get the harness adjusted to fit you, the gun and the way you want it to carry, (this could take several days of trail and error) you will not want to change the holster out. Besides, you would then also need to change the ammo carry portion also. And as long as I am on a rant, anyone who carries a semi-auto is crazy if they do not have at least 1 spare mag.

You can get a nylon shoulder holster that does all I have suggested, and stay under $50.00. After you get tired of fooling with trying to get it to fit and be comfy where you can carry your gun and forget it is there, you can put it on here and sell it off to help recover some of your money so you can buy a good holster.

As far as summer carry, 511 Tactical gear makes a very good vest that looks a lot like a photographer's vest and will cover the holster nicely, yet still give you ready access to your weapon.

I'll quite now. I will go on and on if I do not just stop. I hope this has been of some interest and help.

8. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

I'm confident in my 15+1.

9. grayelky

grayelky New Member

It is not an issue of hitting your target. It is not an issue of the caliber/ammo you select in doing it's job. It is not even questioning the integrity nor reliability of your chosen weapon.

Ever hear of a fella named "Murphy" and his law? First step in clearing a jam- tap bottom of seated mag, rack slide, fire. Still jammed? Rip mag and replace w/ a spare- soon as you run home and get one.

10. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

I should have also wrote that I am confident in my Glock as well.

11. grayelky

grayelky New Member

I have several Glocks and the only time any of them have ever jammed is when it was set up to jam as part of a drill. I bet Murphy even carries a Glock. I also bet he carries a 2nd mag.

The reality of it is simple. The odds of ever needing a firearm are actually very low. Most of us keep one fairly close by anyway. The reliability of today's components, manufacturing quality controls, etc, make misfires EXTREMELY rare. Yet they do happen. A misfire is easy- rack the slide and pull the trigger. With some guns, just pull the trigger. If you have enough faith in your weapon and are confident Murphy will be on vacation the one time in your life you need your gun, the chances you will need a 2nd magazine are very, very low. There is a reason every law enforcement agency I am aware of, every defensive handgun school I have read about all teach clearance drills and to carry a spare mag. LEO agencies even require their officers to carry a spare mag.

It is still a personal decision, just like carring a handgun. If you don't feel you will need one, don't carry one. I suppose it would not surprise you to find out I also carry a 2nd gun.

12. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

LEOs run to the sound of battle. I use my weapon to create distance between me and the battle.

We each have our level of comfort. I only carry a spare mag when I have to go to Atlanta. Not because I am concerned with a magazine or weapon failure, but the chances of me encountering multiple armed people goes up. In Statesboro Georgia I think I am fine with just the gun.

13. grayelky

grayelky New Member

Ahhh, to be from a smaller town would be so nice. If they keep building subdivisions here in Cobb, it will not be long before we too live in a much smaller town than Atlanta.

Take care and enjoy!