Should you tell your Rep. about licenseing problems?

Discussion in 'GWL News & Information' started by Gunstar1, Apr 21, 2007.

1. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

Why is it important to tell your Assembly Reps about the problems with issuing licenses?

So something can be done to fix the problems. It is easier to amend a law to clarify it, than to have to file dozens of lawsuits (Thanks GCO!) to force compliance with the law.

It works, it just takes time... http://www.georgiapacking.org/forum/vie ... php?t=2681

2. mzmtg

mzmtg Active Member

Nice bill, but it's dead for this year, right?

It seems like that bill would just give probate judges more code sections to violate as they take their sweet time issuing licenses. The GFL process needs to be conssolidated under one state agency. That would hopefully provide a more consistent and efficient process.

We don't need 159 people finding 159 different ways of doing things.

3. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

True, but it does make them refund the cost of the permit. Before there were zero penalties if they went over (well except when GCO gets involved), if this passes they will (loss of funds).

Do you think a county that is always late will stay that way if taking their sweet time means they have to do it for free? I would bet that the "backlogs" will mysteriously vanish.

4. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

GCO has been working on improving this bill.

In one sense, it could make things worse. While there is no penalty, the current statute is at least clear that the probate court has a limited time in which to issue.

For more information on that, see GCO's appellate court briefs.

HB 850, if it passes as is, has no outside time limit, with the only penalty being a free license.

Let us assume some outlandish hypothetical. You know, something that would never happen in the real world. Like, oh, I don't know: Let's assume some probate court took 2.5 years to issue a license. (Oh, I know it could never really happen). What is there in this bill to make that court issue any faster?

What if the probate judge just does not like you? :lol:

Anyway, we are actively working on improvements with the sponsors.

5. mzmtg

mzmtg Active Member

The improved bill should include a time limit for the refund tobe issued as well.

6. S&W 40

S&W 40 Active Member

Just my :2cents: also how about the court having to inform you if you are not approved and why? This way you know that you are not approved/inlimbo and why so you can act as needed.