Should You Carry With a Round in the Chamber?

Discussion in 'Holsters / Method of Carry' started by Jonas Salk, Nov 30, 2010.

1. Jonas Salk

Jonas Salk Member

All signs point to "yes."

Video evidence: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=syxrpLbaEuY

I used to carry without one in the chamber for fear that it would somehow "go off" and I'd be boned legally. I now realize that it's entirely up to me whether the gun goes off or not. When I need it to go off, do I want it ready, or do I want to be dead?

You decide, folks.

2. dam294

dam294 Active Member

Preachin' to the choir.

3. RedDawnTheMusical

RedDawnTheMusical Well-Known Member

Yes - condition 1. Next question.

4. N.T.F.S.

N.T.F.S. Active Member

What caliber 9mm or .45 :runaway:

5. slammy

slammy New Member

I would never have waited to have my working hand that close to my weapon, I could see his way earlier....come on...Both séance you could have let him see you were armed earlier (law) without pointing it at him.....this is just a "you tube" to help prove a previously decided point....

Slammy

6. Jonas Salk

Jonas Salk Member

I know of people here whom I will not specifically name who carry unchambered.

7. a-squared

a-squared New Member

While I agree with the sentiment of the original post, in that situation I feel it would be equally beneficial to have some self defense knowledge/experience without the use of your gun.

If you were surprised at that close of a distance, you're better off getting out of the way, blocking the attack, or disarming the attacker. Then draw your weapon.

Add a few more feet to the distance between them and then my opinion would change.

I was always taught in self defense if someone pulls a knife on you expect to get cut, just know how to minimize the damage.

8. CoffeeMate

CoffeeMate Junior Butt Warmer

Those are the folks carrying the extra supllies for everyone, right?

9. slammy

slammy New Member

But the argument is had you taken him out earlier in the "film" and he add a knife would you have had an issue? The un arguable answer is NO..... Show me a You tube where the GUY is KIdding?.......I mean come on show me the reverse and would of I had an issue at least prone him out for my safety. To me this is Junk.....

Slammy

10. ET.

ET. Active Member

The first week I started carrying a bug gun in my pocket, I just couldn't get myself to walk around with a bullet aimed at my gonads. After one week I realized that a shot to the gonads couldn't be any worse than being married for 25 years... so I don't even think about it anymore. In fact it would be rather strange not to have my jewels covered!!!

11. a-squared

a-squared New Member

Haha, it sure feels that way sometimes :help:

12. CoffeeMate

The premise given at the beginning seems to be that she can't draw until after he presents the knife.

Um, yeah... right... Someone stops us on the street to talk and we prone him out. Um, and we do that how again? Do we draw on them or do we say, "Look mister, pretend I'm wearing a uniform and badge, okay?"

13. slammy

slammy New Member

So your senses are so numb you can't even sense a shred of harm my be there? Come on Coffee, I respest the issues you raise, I lurk here all the time, but you can, Yell I'm Armed, Move back anytime without showing your weapon. I carry Glocks most of the time, I train up, rack... thats just me, I rather would not have 1 in the chamber. The whole you tube post is BS.

Slammy

14. inkdaddy

inkdaddy Member

If your not ready to carry Condition 1....then your not ready to carry at all.

15. GAGunOwner

GAGunOwner Active Member

I know a metro Atlanta LEO that won't carry with a round in the chamber when carrying off-duty. :?

16. slammy

slammy New Member

Haha, it sure feels that way sometimes :help:[/quote:2h54nkbs]
    Don't carry a bug gun....10MM hurt..

Slammy

17. slammy

slammy New Member

How strange (being nice) is that statement.....You decide!

Slammy

18. CoffeeMate

I've no argument with you there.

I'd even go further and say there's nothing stopping someone from drawing and racking ahead of time while keeping pointed low and away, (just my opinion and I'm not a jury).

The premise of the video seemed to be that she couldn't draw until the knife was presented. Accepting the premise for the sake of the demonstration, I think it shows how quickly an attacker can close distance and inflict serious harm (even while someone is yelling that they're armed).

I would agree that situational awareness is vital. Yet people can still surprise even someone who has the most highly honed spider sense.

I'm a proponent of carrying in Condition-1. However, I think what's most important is that people carry in a manner they're comfortable with. If someone feels safer in Condition-3 then by all means, carry that way. It's better than not carry at all or carrying in a way they don't personally feel safe doing.

(Just my two cents)

19. slammy

slammy New Member

Nite all, carry how you please....most everyone I read here makes me glad to be a part of what I think are a sight of patriots. I carry how I please but if you or your families life is on the line....well, I'll be there, just like I think you will be for me and mine....the rest is just fun arguing!

Slammy