Should the names of GFL holders be public?

Discussion in 'National Laws, Bills and Politics' started by ptsmith24, Apr 25, 2007.

1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

I'm just curious about everyone's thoughts on here. I think in Texas they were debating this. So, what does everyone think?

2. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

I know they aren't now, but with other states doing it, I figured it would come up in GA before too long.

3. mzmtg

mzmtg Active Member

Our licensing system would have to be centralized (a good thing) for the info to be made public in any meaningful way (a bad thing).

4. merlock

merlock New Member

I wonder if something like this will be thrown about as a compromise of some kind? :evil:

5. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

We should not repeal the privacy laws relatinf to firearms licenses, but it would be nice to have some statistics reported.

6. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Who voted yes?

I ain't gonna jump on you, but I would like to know your reasoning. This has resulted in people facing threats and violence in Virginia (the subject of a TV news story - CNN?) when stalkers and probationers discovered information about stalkees and probation officers.

7. jgullock

jgullock Active Member

Wasn't me (even though I thought it would be nice if GCO had access). :wink:

8. glockgirl

glockgirl New Member

all right who was the yes vote???

9. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

Hell no.

I'm not a criminal. The public does not need to be protected from me. If fact the reason I carry a gun is so I can have protection against the public!

10. S&W 40

S&W 40 Active Member

I voted no (not that it is anyone’s business, right to privacy).

But I will say that if they would want to do this then it should be across the board, anyone licensed in the state for anything would have to be posted. And while they are at it all arrest, phone bills, magazine subscriptions, anything about anyone’s life would have to be, everyone no exception even for judges, politicians, LEO or teachers........

11. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

I agree with you MP. I don't think it should be public record, but I would like to see some real statistics on how many GA residents are licensed to carry.

12. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

I could live without statistics if the trade off is a centralized collection point for that information.

13. Foul

Foul New Member

The only reason I voted "no" is that "hell no" wasn't an option.

14. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

Did I click the wrong button :sly:

15. AV8R

AV8R Banned

I've been here in Dallas since Monday morning and I've seen this on the news. Some how one of the news stations here found a poster boy, a CCW holder that agrees with this insane propsal. His argument was that he was not doing anything wrong and wasn't afraid that his name could be on public record as having a permit. :roll:

They also showed this one woman who basically said that she liked the idea because she could know who was carrying so she could avoid the dangers surrounding those who carry. WTF? Out of all the people they spoke to, ONE guy was against it. But no media bias here, right?

Totally unrelated... I drove out to Cheaper than Dirt (yeah! that website's storefront) in Dallas and had a great time talking to the folks there. AWESOME prices on everything.

16. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

Kid in a candy shop moment right there.

17. GAGunOwner

GAGunOwner Active Member

There is no reason for this to be public knowlege. A lot of bad can come out of this. Jobs checking people, bad guys checking, schools, etc.

18. merlock

merlock New Member

Isn't that the truth! :)

19. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

I think that's what happened when the Roanoke Times published CCL holder names in Virginia. They got a lot of opposition or something forcing them to take them off the website. People were worried about the names being in the wrongs hands or whatever. Roanoke Times called it "an exercise in public record access" (paraphrased, of course) :roll: