Should schools drug test?

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by Rammstein, Feb 12, 2007.

1. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

Source

2. Wiley

Wiley New Member

How about starting with Administators and Staff first. Just reciently a staffer of an Atlanta area school district was arested on cocaine charges.

Ban Bagles! It's for the Children.

3. mzmtg

mzmtg Active Member

I find it odd that the students they want to test are the ones participating in extra curricular activities. Aren't these after school activities themselves touted as a great way to keep kids off drugs by giving them something productive to do?

So, they are going to discourage participation in helpful programs by testing the kids least likely to be using drugs in the first place.

BRILLIANT!

4. Macktee

Macktee New Member

Our tax dollars at work!

How typical of the whole "War on Drugs" mind set...

An expensive program that won't do anything to keep kids from using drugs.

Kids who are on the debate team or the football team are usually too busy to hang out with the druggies and the druggies are usually too stoned to go out for the teams.

So naturally, we drug test the team members...

Only in America!

5. Tinkerhell

Tinkerhell Active Member

I'm a bit torn here.
    I do believe this would be a violation of rights. But I easily see the other side of this. I think I mostly have a problem with only doing the after school program children. That part is just stupid. If you are "doing this for the good of the child & the economic benefit of the community" then, by God, test every kid in the school! "Why isn't my kid that goes to a part time job every afternoon good enough to be tested?"

I think what might be the better option is to say that every child in the school was to be tested routinely & randomly and that anyone that didn't want to be tested had to have their parents signoff something saying that they agreed to let their child be excluded from said testing.

Then the school is off the hook
    "Hey we tried to test your kid, but you said hell no my child is clean. It's all your fault he shot up with heroin in is now laying dead in the gutter Mr. Shitty Parent. Oh, btw those nice officer outside would like to speak with you..."
    and the parents have the option of getting their kid tested without having to march into the child’s room & say "ok Johnny, fill up the cup..."

I personally don't think I would ever do that to my child unless the child gave me a reason to. I would have to have some pretty serious suspicions. And if it wasn't something I personally caught "red handed" then the first time I tested would likely be concealed somehow under a "routine physical" and would be between myself & a doctor.

MZMTG - not sure how long it's been since you were in school, but I know back when I was in high school the jock guys were always the ones drinking & doing drugs & everything else they weren't really supposed to be doing.... And hell I was on the debate team for a year. We won't talk about the things I got away with in high school :twisted:

6. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

I would refuse the test because it is prejudicial towards some drugs and not other, and furthermore that drug testing does not differentiate between substance use and substance abuse.

Alcohol and its metabolites stay in a persons system for a short period of time (hours).

While, cannabis and its metabolites stay in a persons system (depending on frequency of use and potency) from anywhere from a few days to several months.

Drug testing only tells the tester that a person has a certain substance in their body. There is no distinction between the daily user and the casual user.

7. Foul

Foul New Member

No testing. Period.
    Yet another example of the abuse of an unrestrained government's power.
    It's not their place.

8. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

I agree with testing for performance enhancers in kids playing sports, other than that I am pretty much against testing.

In fact, if you are playing a sport and have a good grade average (which if you are playing a sport you are supposed to have a good GPA) and they find weed in your system, they should either do nothing or give you an honor.

As Ramm said, it does not show the difference between a casual and habitual user.
    Second, marijuana is a performance restrictor. The only enhancment it performes is that of hunger and the desire to do nothing. Even if they are a habitual weed user, the fact that they have good grades and are playing sports means they are motivated and strong willed enough to overcome the side effects, or as Ramm said the primary high and side effects are long gone and only the trace remains.

9. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Rammstein, it should be obvious why I moved this to Off Topic. :wink:

10. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

Yep, I should have put it here in the first place.

11. BergerBoy

BergerBoy New Member

That sums it up nicely. If it doesn't happen on their time, it's not their worry.

12. mzmtg

mzmtg Active Member

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17465559/

13. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

I was about to post this.