Should Our Schools be Disarmed Victim Zones?

Discussion in 'In the News' started by Malum Prohibitum, Sep 25, 2007.

1. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

http://www.wnd.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=57665

2. pro2am

pro2am New Member

Very telling...
    Its a matter of time. I'm convinced that it will happen here soon.

3. VolGrad

VolGrad Tactical Statistician

This is truly scary to me since I have a school-aged (almost) child and a teacher spouse. I agree it is only a matter of time. It doesn't even have to be terrorists. Recall the guy who took over the Amish school house a couple of years ago?

Luckily, I have been working on my wife's SA. She spotted and reported a couple of guys walking around her school the other day. She provided an excellent description and kept an eye on them (from a safe distance) until the SRO arrived. They claimed to be "waiting for a ride". Interesting that they decided that they would wait in and amongst the buildings on campus for their "ride" to show up. They were not parents, not school workers, and had no business on campus at all. We will likely never know what their real motivation was. I find it particularly disturbing that there were two of them.

4. budder

budder Moderator Staff Member

Almost one year ago: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amish_school_shooting :(

5. wsweeks2

wsweeks2 New Member

I'm with you on this sentiment.

This says it all. Feel good policy has never cured anything. What are fire drills preventing?

6. VolGrad

They usually prevent things like spelling tests.

EDIT: That was a joke. I am in support of fire drills.

7. wsweeks2

wsweeks2 New Member

:lol:

8. SigP229

SigP229 Active Member

And putting an armed guard or two isn't going to protect the kids from terrorist, especially like they said, some are already on the inside and would just overpower them. The faculty need to be armed.

9. fallison

fallison Guest

This is a quote from the Warrior Talk newsletter that relates to the threaat to our schools and planning for it.

10. fallison

fallison Guest

And if anyone thinks that would be an over reaction, google Beslan.

11. viper32cm

viper32cm New Member

Prescient advice.

However, anyone who actually tried something like that could be in for a media $hitstorm, especially if their mission failed in anyway (for example a teacher or cop died in the process of the rescue).

But if its your kids, the media can go :censored: itself anyway

12. VolGrad

Interesting article. Seems somewhat over-reactive but I agree with most of it. My problem is not with what he said, just that it will sound so far out to most people that the message will be lost on most.

Again, I am a parent and have a teacher wife so this does mean something to me. I think the main points here are to be familiar with the layout - both you and the child. The point about having a cell phone is a good one too. Instruct the child not to call 911, to call you instead. You can better relay what is happening to the po-po than the child. Keep the child on the line and call 911 from another line if possible and relay questions, if necessary. IMO running is good only if you have a clear exit from the school and/or grounds. Hiding is good if you are not sure you aren't running right into the terrorist's hands. I would even suggest the child not stay in groups at all. Groups are easier to find/hear than singles.

Yes, if I ever get that call from my wife or child, I will respond appropriately. Law be damned. I might call 911 myself on the way in though and tell them I am a G/G and not to shoot me on sight.

13. viper32cm

viper32cm New Member

Actually announce that you were going to go into a hostage situation to rescue your kids? I'd think they do everything they could to stop you, ESPECIALLY if you were armed. In fact I could see them arresting you for interference with a police matter, that or 16-11-127.1. But yes, I agree law be damned.

I think the utility of that advice has a lot to do with the school your kid goes to. I know at my high school a plan like that would have almost certainly worked. However, a small school without much in the way of cover surrounding it might make either an infiltration or an exfiltration quite difficult.

14. SigP229

SigP229 Active Member

I think that there would be no negotiating with terrorists and if they did take over a school in this country, their only mission would be to kill as many children as possible, then kill themselves....and leaving lawmakers wondering what could have been done to prevent it.

15. wsweeks2

wsweeks2 New Member

We all know that there are EBR's planning such a hijacking as we speak. What would we do without Sarah Brady? :roll:

16. ber950

ber950 Active Member

I have heard rumors of plans that include multiple schools. Just like 9/11 involved multiple planes. If one of these attacks occurs elsewhere it would be a good idea to check your kid out of school.

17. SigP229

SigP229 Active Member

As fast as you can!!

18. Thorsen

Thorsen New Member

My wife is an elementary school teacher. I can guarantee you if her school was targeted and she was captured and held hostage that the police might as well shoot me because I am going in to get her and as many others as I can out of that place. And anyone who shoots at me is the enemy.

19. viper32cm

viper32cm New Member

There will be a rush on all schools in a case like this. Could get messy with anxious parents and long lines. Though the school could just cancel class.

20. pro2am

pro2am New Member

You can always say that you were just picking up your kid...its all legal then...at least for 16-11-127.1.

I will say that this stuff really scares me. I have one in elementary, one in Jr. High, and two in high school. Of all the schools in the nation, what are the chances of one of my kids schools being the target? Pretty slim. But its scary nonetheless.