Should I report this?

Discussion in 'National Laws, Bills and Politics' started by fitzdawg79, Sep 28, 2018.

1. fitzdawg79

fitzdawg79 Member

So I have an AR 15 kit listed on Armslist, and I had someone contact me via email today and explicitly offer to trade narcotics for the kit. I emphatically declined and stated that I was only interested in legal transactions. So here is my question to the group, should I report this or just let it go. If you believe that I need to report it, to whom should I report?

2. Nemo

Nemo Man of Myth and Legend

I would contact your local sheriff's office. Let them direct you forward.

Nemo

Wheedle likes this.

3. Ronnie1

Ronnie1 New Member

Report it.... When good people do nothing Bad people win....

Wheedle and Adam5 like this.
  4. Wegahe

Wegahe NRA Instructor

:righton::righton::righton::righton::righton:

5. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

Yeah, I'd report it. It's unlikely the cops are going to do anything about it, since setting up an undercover sting would take some work.
    If I were running the law enforcement agency, I'd ask YOU if you could wait a few days and then tell that dude you changed your mind and would take the drugs, so you'd be the bait that gets this guy busted. But, for liability reasons, I don't think LE agencies do that sort of thing anymore and involve private citizens (other than sleazeball confidential informants, who usually are no strangers to jail cells themselves) that deeply in criminal activity.

6. awanatech

awanatech Well-Known Member

Maybe the agency would run their own ad with a similar item for sale. They could ignore or put off the offers that may come in until they get an offer to trade for narcotics.

EJR914 likes this.
  7. NTA

NTA Well-Known Member

Probably an ATF sting, and for that reason super important to report it.

EJR914 likes this.
  8. zetor

zetor Well-Known Member

I would pass it on, but I'm not going to be directed to do anything else. They need to handle it from there on out...or not handle it, but it would be out of my hands either way.

9. moe mensale

moe mensale Well-Known Member

Report it to Armslist and ask them if there's anything they can do or is it up to you. Years ago I was using them to find a specific firearm and found it. But it was one of those "too good to be true" deals. Way below market price, send money to X but seller was in Y, etc. Guy was a scammer and they dealt with it. You're in the opposite position so I don't know what they'd do, if anything. If the "buyer" has an account with them perhaps they can do something since doing anything illegal is against their TOS.

EJR914 likes this.
  10. Nemo

Nemo Man of Myth and Legend

Correct. But if they direct you to the State Police or DEA or FDA or whoever, follow up there.

Nemo

11. fitzdawg79

fitzdawg79 Member

So I submitted my info on this to the ATF a week ago, and nothing but crickets since then. So, you know, thanks to the ATF for keeping us all safe.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2018
    Archangel likes this.
  12. Phil1979

Phil1979 Member Georgia Carry

But you did get yourself on one of their lists somewhere. Probably as an FFL they need to keep an eye on.

13. Wegahe

Wegahe NRA Instructor

Since this was more or less a drug deal and the Firearm was not traded for drugs the DEA may have been a better choice. The ATF may have become involved had the firearm been transferred to someone obviously prohibited from owning a firearm.

14. NTA

NTA Well-Known Member

"a week ago"
    remember these are gov workers, they will get back to you this year sometime if the holidays don't interfere

15. johnski

johnski Well-Known Member

Perhaps the buyer was Leo trying to entrap you

16. fitzdawg79

fitzdawg79 Member

And that is probably the biggest push behind why I went ahead and reported it.

17. GlockGary

GlockGary Glock Block Supporter

Eh, I wouldn't have done the trade and I wouldn't have bothered with reporting it.