Should Georgia apologize for slavery?

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by foshizzle, Apr 8, 2007.

1. foshizzle

foshizzle New Member

:shock:

Talk about an open-ended and controversial topic!

I was reading through 11alive and came across this poll:

http://www.11alive.com/includes/pollres ... s=53&Cat=1

5 to 1 say NO. Of course, it's an online poll, but still. I haven't done any real reading about it, so I don't really have an informed opinion. Anyone have any good places to start? My knee-jerk reaction says I don't think we should apologize for anything we didn't do (those of us living) and I think it's all pretty meaningless, but like I said, I haven't read up on the issue.

2. glockgirl

glockgirl New Member

all i will say is NO...

3. Dan H

Dan H New Member

I wasn't aware that the state of Georgia was solely responsible for slavery...

4. triggerman357

triggerman357 New Member

I say NO also. The reason being, the last time I checked, all my ancestors that were slaves are now dead. All the people who ensalved them are now dead also. I don't think they were sorry then, and don't think they would be sorry today. So why should I (or some people who say they speak for all black people according to the media) ask for an apology from somebody who might be a decendent of a slave owner. I just don't care anymore and don't try think about it.

5. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

No.

I'm not sorry because I didn't do a damn thing. Neither did my parents or theirs or theirs before them.

Apologies lead to reparations which is what the end goal is.

6. pro2am

pro2am New Member

If the state of Georgia was a slave owner (which I understand it was), and IF anyone responsible for that decision is still alive today (which I understand is impossible), then yes, he or she should apologize immediately.

7. USMC - Retired

USMC - Retired Active Member

I would say not only no but hell no and here is why.

I am one quarter Cherokee and have never used or benifitted from the vast amounts of Native American benifits and services handed out for one simple reason. I DIDN'T EARN THEM! As a matter of fact the only Gov sponsored benifit that I have ever accepted are my VA benifits, which I did earn. I don't feel that because some of my ancestors had a rough time because of someone elses ancestors that I should benifit in any way whatsoever. Heck, MOST Americans are here because they were getting a raw deal somewhere else. Should I be upset because the side of my family that came from Norway got fed up getting the shaft there and came here? Should I sue the government in Norway for allowing them to be pushed out? Heck no. So why should Georgia as a whole make ammends to folks who were not slaves themselves on behave of folks that have never been involved in slavery in any way whatsoever. Are the african tribes that sold thier own into slavery going to offer the same apology? How about the numorous countrys who's ships were part of the slave trade? All we do by giving all these benifits and paybacks to "minorities" is foster a welfare state of mind. I have relatives that sit on the fat @$$ all month long waiting for the next government check to roll in so they can go buy another sx pack. Yet out of the same family we have well educated productive members of society that did it on their own with no help from anyone. It's all a matter of respect. Respect for yourself, your country and your heritage. You do nothing but dishonor those that came before you by not making the most of yourself. This country needs to get over the "race thing" and get back to being what we once were.

*rant off*

8. pro2am

pro2am New Member

=D> Well done sir, well done.

9. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

Should Georgia appologize for slavery? NO! We did nothing. We shouldn't be held repsonsible for what our ancestors did. My ancestors were slaves in Egypt. Has Egypt appologized for enslaving the Jews over two thousand years ago? No they haven't. Should they? No, they shouldn't. Modern day Egyptians had nothing to do it, just as we had nothing to do with enslaving Africans here. Saying that Georgia should is like saying that Germans our age should appologize for Hitler's attrocities.

If Georgia appologizes, what would be next? State compensation for the decendents of Georgia slaves? If the state appologizes, could some twisted atty (no offense to the ones here) use that as an admission of guilt, on behalf of the state, to sue for compensatory damages? It sounds like a slippery slope to me.

10. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

USMC,

I agree with you 100%. Immigrants fall under the same category. My grandfather and most of his familiy came here from Poland, legally, in the late 20's. They didn't ask for handouts, or special treatment. They worked hard, started a business, and supported themselves. No special treatment, no drivers tests in Polish, and no set asides. They learned english, worked, and became productive members of society. Educated or not, they worked hard and made something of themselves.

As a side note, my grandfather got his GED in 1999 and in 2000 became the oldest freshman in the history Univ of Memphis, when he enrolled in a few continuing education classes.

11. merlock

merlock New Member

Well said, Gunny... :righton:

12. Macktee

Macktee New Member

There are some thoughtful posts here. I have to agree that an apology is meaningless because everyone directly involved is long dead. An official apology from the state wouldn't cost anything, but it wouldn't accomplish anything either.

I agree with Triggerman357. Believe it or not, there are some self-appointed Irish-American "leaders" who are asking for an apology from England. All of my great-grandparents were born in the "old country". Were it not for the potato famine, my family would still be there. The people who starved and the people who allowed them to die are all dead. An apology from the British government wouldn't change those facts one iota, and it certainly wouldn't do anything for me. So who needs one?

What I don't understand is why some people are asking for an apology. What good will one do? It won't change history, so what's the point? Is Ramm correct? Do they see it as the first step toward reparations? If not that, then why?

Adam5's story reminded me of a guy I used to work with who grew up in Hamtramik, MI. He said it was the first day of the first grade when he learned the whole world didn't speak Polish...

13. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

Naturally. :D

But it is like the anti's arguments. I don't want to take all guns...just the evil black ones. I don't want to take all handguns...just the ones that have over all ten rounds. I don't want to take all guns...just handguns. I don't want to take all guns...you can had bolt action hunting rifles. etc.

If Georgia were to apologize that would, in my mind, be the first step towards reparations. Get them to admit they sinned. Then get them to agree that someone should pay for those sins. Then finally... pay person x for those sins.

It's a slope...and it sure gets slippery.

14. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

My thoughts exactly. That's a VERY slippery slope.

15. slabertooch

slabertooch New Member

I say give anyone who wants it reparations, not just african americans, but anyone. The catch, if you recieve reparations, you are not allowed to bitch... ever.

tongue planted firmly in cheek on this one

16. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

Like money would stop the bitching.

Once the scent of blood is in the water..... then everyone will want money.

"The mailman looked at me wrong...I want money!"

17. Taler

Taler New Member

Maybe someone can explain my erroneous thinking, but how can a governmental entity, a creation of people, attain the ability to apologize for the people that created it?

How does a "State" choose to apoligize? How does it apologize? I mean, who is this entity, because I'd like to have a chat with him or her?

18. ber950

ber950 Active Member

I apologize :oops:

There does that make anyone feel better :?:

19. GeorgiaGlocker

GeorgiaGlocker Romans 1:16

I sure that there were things done 500 - 1000 years ago that maybe an apology should have been said. Do you think it was? :shakehead: