Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an employee that CCs without a holster. His weapon is a DAO pistol with no manual safety, like a glock. I don't think this is a safe practice, and I was going to ask that he holster the weapon while at work.

Further, I saw on another forum that carrying without a holster is illegal in GA. Is this really the case?

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
If it is your property, you make the rules. There are many differing opinions whether it is "safe." It is legal since SB308 was signed. Click the gun laws tab above and read for your self.

·
Registered
7,594 Posts
dude6935 said:
I have an employee that CCs without a holster. His weapon is a DAO pistol with no manual safety, like a glock. I don't think this is a safe practice, and I was going to ask that he holster the weapon while at work.

Further, I saw on another forum that carrying without a holster is illegal in GA. Is this really the case?
SB-308 did away with the holster requirement. Leave the guy alone.

·
NRA Certified Instructor
5,006 Posts
dude6935 said:

You can require them to holster at the threat of their job. It is no longer illegal to CC without holster in Georgia. I personally use a holster and suggest everyone carry in one. then leave it up to them to decide what they want to do.

·
Lawyer and Gun Activist
28,102 Posts
A holster is a better way to carry a gun. Safer and more secure. I sometimes slip a pistol in my pocket or tuck it in my pants "Mexican" style, but only once in a while, only for short trips to the mailbox or something like that. IF your employee's gun is a Glock, fully loaded, is an additional factor. If the gun starts to slip and he grabs at it in a panic to try to stop it from falling to the floor, and if his finger gets on that trigger by accident... not much pressure required to fire it.
The Glock is not really a true Double-Action trigger pull. MUCH shorter stroke required, and a lot fewer pounds.

·
Banned
9,358 Posts
I don't know anything about that particular firearm but gunsmoker seems to know. Your employee is lucky to be able to carry it while at work. He should be happy to use a holster!! If the firearm is indeed unsafe without a holster then sure, its your call.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think it is actually a Springfield XD. After further research, the XD also has a grip safety. I didn't remember seeing that in person. Anyway, that satisfies my safety concern. Thanks for the answers. I should not have asked working only from memory.

·
Just a Man
6,056 Posts
dude6935 said:
I think it is actually a Springfield XD. After further research, the XD also has a grip safety. I didn't remember seeing that in person. Anyway, that satisfies my safety concern. Thanks for the answers. I should not have asked working only from memory.
I'm glad you have come to that conclusion. BTW......... :welcome: to the forum. We hope you hang around. :righton:

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
gunsmoker said:
.....and if his finger gets on that trigger by accident... not much pressure required to fire it.
The Glock is not really a true Double-Action trigger pull. MUCH shorter stroke required, and a lot fewer pounds.
and that's why i carry my self-cocking, striker fired, first generation taurus pt145..........just sayin'

·
Registered
15,974 Posts
1) First of all I would like to say thank you for allowing your employee to carry on the job! Tell "us" the name of your business so that "we" can bring you more business. :righton:

2) Now it is legal to carry without a holster. Even before SB308 it was legal for an employee to carry at his/her place of business without a holster and without a GWL. This is still the case.

3) I personally think that as a general rule a holster should be used. However, in certain situations and with certain guns I don't have a problem with people going holsterless.

4) As the owner you make the rules at your business so its your call but I think the guy is probably okay.

·
Banned
9,358 Posts
dude6935 said:
My wife carries a Springfield XDm 40S&W. Several safety features! He should be good to go!!

·
Registered
670 Posts
Legal != safe. You are a good boss for letting your employees carry at work. You should not have to put up with anything that you feel is unsafe or makes you uncomfortable. A DeSantis Nemesis is less than $20. In addition to its main function as a pocket holster, it is good to have laying around for when you want to transport a handgun, but don't want to unload it. Maybe you can give him a Nemesis for his Christmas bonus.

·
My Name is Inigo Montoya
4,025 Posts
Re: Re: Should CC pistol be holstered?

gunsmoker said:
A holster is a better way to carry a gun. Safer and more secure. I sometimes slip a pistol in my pocket or tuck it in my pants "Mexican" style, but only once in a while, only for short trips to the mailbox or something like that. IF your employee's gun is a Glock, fully loaded, is an additional factor. If the gun starts to slip and he grabs at it in a panic to try to stop it from falling to the floor, and if his finger gets on that trigger by accident... not much pressure required to fire it.
this. I even went a step further and put in a ghost trigger connector and made it 3.5 lbs.
Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

·
Banned
9,358 Posts
Re: Re: Should CC pistol be holstered?

rabbivj said:
gunsmoker said:
this. I even went a step further and put in a ghost trigger connector and made it 3.5 lbs.
Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk
Breath on my trigger and its gone!

·
Senior Mumbler
6,434 Posts
As many have pointed out, a holster is not required by law. Bt that doesn't mean it's not a good idea to use one anyway. If your employee pocket carries, then there are plenty of good pocket holsters available.

While something may not be against the law, it doesn't mean you can't require it. Private business owners can make their own rules regarding this, just as they can have a dress code, etc.

·
Registered
4,148 Posts
There is no longevity in carrying an XD without a holster. Please report back when your employee learns that the hard way. The smallest XD is not a pocket gun. I can think of no reason why he wouldn't carry it in a retention holster that covers the trigger, except that he's not really considering the ramifications of not doing so.

·
Registered
4,148 Posts
Doh, now I get it. The employee isn't carrying in condition 1, or , has never actually shot the gun, or, has never tested the trigger-safety and grip-safety to learn just how little action is required to deactivate them.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts