Shots fired outside bar; cop arrested

Discussion in 'In the News' started by VolGrad, Oct 15, 2007.

1. VolGrad

VolGrad Tactical Statistician

Everyone knows I am pro-LEO. However, this article IMO is not about LEOs but about [email protected]$$e$ with guns. What are these guys thinking going out drinking with their pistols. I don't have a problem with LEOs being able to carry everywhere (we should all be able to). However, it is your personal responsibility to be just that, responsible, when you do so.

2. SigP229

SigP229 Active Member

An unnamed Cobb County police officer who was socializing with the Atlanta officers also fired his gun, Marshall said, but the investigation determined that the gun went off accidentally. The officer said he had automatically pulled the weapon when he heard the shots, not to fire at the pickup, Marshall said.

"He was running in the parking lot and fell and discharged his weapon into the ground," Marshall said.

:-k

3. VolGrad

Guess he was too drunk to run, but not too drunk to carry and draw a weapon. I applaud his "cat-like instincts" but not the "gracefulness" with which he executed said moves.

4. SigP229

SigP229 Active Member

He was with the other officers, What was he reacting to? Shots fired? I'm thinking he saw the whole thing and would've shot too if he hadn't fallen.

5. M249

M249 New Member

This guy was an airport officer, right? Rumor has it that problem officers from APD get assigned airport duty, so this guy may have been trouble waiting to happen.

Accidental or not, isn't discharging a weapon while under the influence a crime?

6. SigP229

SigP229 Active Member

O.C.G.A. § 16-11-134

GEORGIA CODE
    Copyright 2007 by The State of Georgia
    All rights reserved.

*** Current through the 2007 Regular Session ***

TITLE 16. CRIMES AND OFFENSES
    CHAPTER 11. OFFENSES AGAINST PUBLIC ORDER AND SAFETY
    ARTICLE 4. DANGEROUS INSTRUMENTALITIES AND PRACTICES
    PART 3. CARRYING AND POSSESSION OF FIREARMS

O.C.G.A. § 16-11-134 (2007)

§ 16-11-134. Discharging firearm while under the influence of alcohol or drugs

(a) It shall be unlawful for any person to discharge a firearm while:

(1) Under the influence of alcohol or any drug or any combination of alcohol and any drug to the extent that it is unsafe for the person to discharge such firearm except in the defense of life, health, and property;

(2) The person's alcohol concentration is 0.08 grams or more at any time while discharging such firearm or within three hours after such discharge of such firearm from alcohol consumed before such discharge ended; or

(3) Subject to the provisions of subsection (b) of this Code section, there is any amount of marijuana or a controlled substance, as defined in Code Section 16-13-21, present in the person's blood or urine, or both, including the metabolites and derivatives of each or both without regard to whether or not any alcohol is present in the person's breath or blood.

(b) The fact that any person charged with violating this Code section is or has been legally entitled to use a drug shall not constitute a defense against any charge of violating this Code section; provided, however, that such person shall not be in violation of this Code section unless such person is rendered incapable of possessing or discharging a firearm safely as a result of using a drug other than alcohol which such person is legally entitled to use.

(c) Any person convicted of violating subsection (a) of this Code section shall be guilty of a misdemeanor of a high and aggravated nature.

HISTORY: Code 1981, § 16-11-134, enacted by Ga. L. 1995, p. 139, § 1.

7. triggerman357

triggerman357 Active Member

8. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Well, since we do not have an emoticon of a guy holding his ears while chanting "La, la, la, la, I cannot hear this!" I will just have to use the old standby . . .
    :shakehead:
    Everyone of these guys should be fired if not criminally charged (and, yes, some of them should be criminally charged).

9. VolGrad

Even I agree on this.

10. Sharky

Sharky New Member

+1 on the above.

Just another bad bushell of apples...... or oranges..... or grapes.....or whatever........

11. Malum Prohibitum

I can't find this in the article?

12. M249

M249 New Member

I didn't read it in the article, MP, I heard it on WSB Radio.

13. jason1

jason1 New Member

I might get eaten a live by you guys but here it goes.

This story is why Chris Chvala or any other person that are non-LEO should have the legal right to carry at a bar.Because he might could have fired back and claim self-defense under stand your ground because the cops start the fight and fired the first shots without cause, way the paper reads.I can't think how a Cop could do a thing like this by trying to shot someone in the back of head.You don't shot unarmed people because you get piss drunk and mad
    as hell.

I'm not singing that 1990 song by Ice-T that got banned called cop $$$$,I just think if you was being shot at by someone even if it was the police or any other person that was pulling a gun on you and firing for nothing then I think a lot of you would fire back in self-defense.

14. VolGrad

If in some other venue - supermarket, Arby's, etc. - and this were to happen to me (as the victim) then yes, I would likely shoot back. However, the difference for me is - legal or not - I would never carry a firearm with me on a pub crawl. NEVER. It is my responsibility as a gun owner and GFL holder to act exactly that - responsibly. Carrying a pistol on a night of drinking with the guys is in no way responsible behavior.

15. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

How is that different than just having one or two beers and driving home. You aren't trashed. That's an adult decision one must make, just like carrying and drinking. Just keep it down and there shouldn't be a problem.

16. Malum Prohibitum

A police officer violently and criminally attacks somebody with a gun, and you somehow come to the conclusion that because somebody might, but did not, defend themselves, then the location where the shooting occurred should be off limits to defensive firearms.

I must admit I am having trouble following your chain of logic.

17. budder

budder Moderator Staff Member

Just being at a bar doesn't mean you were on a pub crawl. You could have stopped by to use the bathroom, to have a beer, been there as DD for your friends, to pick up your friends, or a bunch of many reasons. But I do agree that if you are going to a bar for the sole purpose of drinking, a gun may not be the best thing to pack (multivitamins will more likely save your life ;)).

MP, I think he meant that everyone should be allowed to carry.

18. VolGrad

I am not agruing against who should/should not be able to carry & where. I am simply stating if you are going out to drink - hammered or just a couple - you should not be carrying a firearm.

That is my opinion and I am sticking to it. Everyone else is entitled to theirs.

As far as being on a pub crawl.......I am only speaking from my experience in college. If I were out with a group of buddies at that time of the morning at a bar.......no one should be near firearms. Maybe you are more civilized than I was. I hope so. LOL.

EDIT: My reference to location was only to show the difference between a place which is currently off-limits due to GA law (can't have a gun to fire upon anyone in the first place) and one that is not off-limits (like the places I referenced).

19. Malum Prohibitum

You also should not be armed when smoking crack.

I must confess that I would not be particularly bothered by somebody armed having a beer with his pizza. Maybe even two.