Georgiapacking.org banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
5,215 Posts
I eject mine into my hand then drop them in my vest. My O/U is a dedicated skeet gun. SKB Model 600 with fixed skeet chokes. My dove gun is a SKB Royal SxS with fixed M/F chokes. Duck and goose hunting is done with a DU Bennelli Nova. Turkey, Deer and Hog shotgun is a Remington 870 Wingmaster with a Hasting barrel, screw in chokes and an Aimpoint red dot sight. Pheasant and quail is done with a SKB Royal Delux SxS with fixed IC/F chokes. Different guns for differnent games. Good excuse to fill up the gun safe! :D

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
gsusnake said:
Whoa. Lots and lots of advice here to soak in. Thanks, everybody.

Maybe I need to think more about this before I buy a gun, or just forget the shotgun and buy an XD instead...
Like any gun, go to the store and try them out. See if it mounts to your shoulder and cheek naturally, or if you have to work on it.

I really enjoy informal clays (with a manual thrower) because I can hit them a lot...and even more when I hit it dead on and the clay explodes into dust..."smoked it". My son always gets a big smile when he smokes one.

I really suck at skeet and trap using the "official" type machines..the birds fly too fast. But it's fun anytime I can go shoot a 100 or more rounds of 12 gauge explosiveness. Oh yeah, I use a Mossberg 500 or a Winchester 25, both pump of course.

·
68,147 Posts
gsusnake said:
It'll be me and some buddies in a field.
Oh!

Then get a pump gun!

Get an extra barrel (short) for home defense.

Sorry for the advice that was not tailored to your needs.

·
Token Liberal Hippie
13,680 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Malum Prohibitum said:
gsusnake said:
Oh!

Then get a pump gun!

Sorry for the advice that was not tailored to your needs.
That's cool, it's all good advice. If I decide I really like clay shooting I'll refer back to this thread as to which O/U to get.

What really amazes me is the quickness, volume, and usefulness of the advice... thanks so much y'all!

·
hu huh, you said "Member"
585 Posts
yeah, I read the first sentence of the original post and knew that I was going to suggest a Mossberg 500.

:)

they are just pretty sweet shotguns. The 835 is a little beefier, handles 3.5" shells, etc (I got this b/c I knew I was going to be shooting slugs and wanted to handle 3.5" turkey/goose loads)

... but options for the 835 are not as plentiful.

if I can make the 6/16 meet I can bring it, although we cant shoot flying clays :(

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
USMC - Retired said:
Different guns for differnent games. Good excuse to fill up the gun safe! :D
Amen there. Ducks and geese with a Beretta Xtrema 2, doves and quail with a 391 Urika in 20 ga, clays and doves with a Silver Pigeon IV, and a couple of Mossbergs in the mix for fun. One absolutely must have a different tool for each game, preferably with an able backup to boot. :D

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
Hey Leggie38:

Thanks for the info on DeHaan. Never heard of them before, but it appears they make some nice guns, especially thru their custom shop (20 year apprenticeship required!!!). Very nice looking. If you make it on the 16th, could you bring your model U1 for me to fondle?

In return, you may play with my toys. Of course, that offer would be there anyway...

Thanks again for the DeHaan info. I think the next thing that goes bang for me may well be a smooth bore. (Please don't mention that should my wife be in the area... unlikely as that may be!)

On that subject............. I'd love to bring my wife on the 16th, but she'd eat a BIG bag of dog poop before she'd do that!

Yeah, she's an anti. Used to be a nurse. First job outta school was in the ER. Told me no motorcycles and no guns. I told her it was too late on the gun thing, but I'd talk to her before buying a cycle. So, 43 years later; still no motorcycle, but a few guns....

Any suggestions as to how I can get her interested in participating, or at least willing to watch? Guns, that is, I've given up on motorcycles. I really think she'd have fun shooting, but convincing her of that has been a real uphill battle... so, any suggestions?

So, how about some help here GlockGirl? You're a girl. I noticed! REALLY a girl! Any suggestions? And how about some of you others? Ramm, Adam5, Tony5 Budder, Sine Nomem, Wiley??? All of you seem to really be in touch with your feminine sides... I could use some assistance here guys and gals and whatevers...

·
Sledgehammer
4,705 Posts
Malum Prohibitum said:
gsusnake said:
Oh!

Then get a pump gun!

+1

If you just want a shotgun to use once in a while, for informal clays, home defense, or trying to knock some doves out of the sky, and you want to keep it inexpensive, the Maverick 88 is a nice gun. It's roughly the same thing as the Mossberg 500, with some minor differences. You easily can get one for under $200. As MP suggests, you can get a short barrel to put on it for home use. I'm planning to bring one on 6/16 with a short barrel and a folding stock.

Even I have shot doubles with it on skeet, and I suck with a shotgun. It's fine for trap. It shoots doves. It's cheap. And, I go through about 1,000 rounds of handgun ammo for every shotshell I shoot. So, I don't want to spend a lot of money on a shotgun, either.

·
Registered
9,075 Posts
kkennett said:
legacy38 said:
One more plus of the O/U is no chasing of shell hulls at the end of each round.
Tricky one here. Skeet and clays only folks should go with extractors. If your o/u is going to double as your dove and quail gun, I suggest ejectors, which still has you chasing shells. Now if you know your gun really well, you can have them eject into the can. In the field though, there is no time to be pulling shells when the doves are swarming.
My O/U is extractors only, but those with ejectors generally just eject into their hand.

·
Registered
9,075 Posts
Macktee said:
Hey Leggie38:

Thanks for the info on DeHaan. Never heard of them before, but it appears they make some nice guns, especially thru their custom shop (20 year apprenticeship required!!!). Very nice looking. If you make it on the 16th, could you bring your model U1 for me to fondle?

In return, you may play with my toys. Of course, that offer would be there anyway...

Thanks again for the DeHaan info. I think the next thing that goes bang for me may well be a smooth bore. (Please don't mention that should my wife be in the area... unlikely as that may be!)

On that subject............. I'd love to bring my wife on the 16th, but she'd eat a BIG bag of dog poop before she'd do that!

Yeah, she's an anti. Used to be a nurse. First job outta school was in the ER. Told me no motorcycles and no guns. I told her it was too late on the gun thing, but I'd talk to her before buying a cycle. So, 43 years later; still no motorcycle, but a few guns....

Any suggestions as to how I can get her interested in participating, or at least willing to watch? Guns, that is, I've given up on motorcycles. I really think she'd have fun shooting, but convincing her of that has been a real uphill battle... so, any suggestions?

So, how about some help here GlockGirl? You're a girl. I noticed! REALLY a girl! Any suggestions? And how about some of you others? Ramm, Adam5, Tony5 Budder, Sine Nomem, Wiley??? All of you seem to really be in touch with your feminine sides... I could use some assistance here guys and gals and whatevers...
I won't be able to make the 6/16 meeting as I will be working that day.

Here are a few pics of mine:

I had a problem with it doubling when I received it, but DeHaan promptly sent a call tag and repaired the problem. I've had no issues since. It's pretty much a copy of the Beretta 686.

As for getting your wife involved, maybe if you could get her out to a ladies shooting event she might give it a try and get hooked.

My wife will shoot occasionally, but she doesn't carry. I do have a couple of revolvers ready for her around the house.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts