Shotguns....different actions for different uses?

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by 1clearshot, Jan 13, 2011.

1. 1clearshot

1clearshot Member

I spent about 40 minutes trying to search past threads and no real luck there. So here it is.

All of my current firearms have specific purpose....and I don't have a shotgun. :oops:

I don't really have a need for one. Yet, not having one just doesn't seem right. Only shotgun experiences I have are that I fired three shells out of one of my friend's Winchester pump-action 12ga and I held a 12ga O/U shotgun once.

I like the look of O/U but it was pretty heavy. And I'm guessing semi-auto requires more maintenance?

Now I'm sure different shotguns are made for different roles. I discovered smooth barrel, rifled barrel, O/U, side-by-side, semi-auto, pump-action, lever-action, bolt-action, and single-shot. I kinda like single shot. :screwy:

There are number of different chokes. What do they do? And two triggers on double barrel shotguns? Is it one trigger per barrel?

12ga seems to be the "standard" followed by 20ga.....then "other" gauges. And all of them come in different lengths.

Basically, if you were to have one shotgun, what would it be? and why. Thanks, 1CS.

2. a_springfield

a_springfield Well-Known Member

my Mossberg 835. It is cambered in 2 3/4, 3, and 3 1/2 inch and has changeable chokes so it can handle pretty much any role.

3. ed4

ed4 Active Member

Over under is typically a skeet gun. Pump and semi-auto are good for multiple follow up shots. Rifled barrels are good for sabots, smooth bore is versatile and can handle shot and rifled slugs very good.

Chokes make the end of the barrel smaller cylinder bore is biggest, full, superfull/extrafull are smallest gives tight shot pattern and sometimes extra distance. Yes one trigger per barrel on side by side and over under with double triggers.

12ga is most common. 20 ga is typically considered youth. Longer barrel longer distance goose guns have long barrels where deer/squirrel don't typically. But you can use any for anything.

I have 3 semi-autos, 1 pump, and 1 side by side. 2 semi autos were given to me by father and grand father. I like them for dove hunting and use for deer with shorter barrel with rifle sights. Side by side I like for deer and squirrel shorter lighter. Pump is home defense.

Hope this helps some.

4. budder

budder Moderator Staff Member

If I could only have one shotgun, it would be a 18" cylinder bore (no choke) 870 Wingmaster in 12ga with a mag extension. It would be for HD and pissing off old people at the skeet range. What do you want to do with this shotgun?

5. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

A great multi-purpose shotgun is a pump action 12 or 20 gauge with two barrels. One long sporting barrel that uses screw-in choke tubes, so you can hunt and play sporting clays / trap / skeet.
    And then you get a second barrel, really short 18" - 20" no choke (called "cylinder bore") for shooting slugs or buckshot at close range in home defense situations. The second barrel can also be used with birdshot for really close range pest control or varmint elimination, but with no choke you should be within 50 feet before firing. With the long barrel and full choke you might have a decent pattern out to 30 yards.

The above description is what I have. Mossberg 500 in 20 gauge. If you want to try it at the range sometime, let me know. I'll bring it.

P.S. What I would like to do one day is weld / solder / epoxy a short tactical accessory rail to the bottom of the 18" slug barrel, just forward of the magazine tube cap. Then I could have a flashlight & laser unit up there. That would be my home defense set up.

6. Fallschirmjäger

Fallschirmjäger I watch the watchers

I have three shotguns, all for .... ummm... varied uses (there's fun, and then amusement, and oh yeah, that home defense thing.)
    I know there are people who say to go for a pump for ultimate reliability, but as long as you're shooting full strength buck and not the $25/100 value loads of birdshot then I think it's a toss up. I've never had a semi-auto shotgun fail on me, nor a semi-auto rifle or pistol.

7. 1clearshot

1clearshot Member

Thanks ed4. So what kind of pattern would you get from Modified and/ or Improved choke? I'm guessing you are not to shoot a slug with any choke installed in the barrel. :?:

What would be the effective range for a 30" barrel?

I have an EB-SBR for HD. I might take up turkey hunting with shotgun....I'm still trying to get over the idea that I'll be shooting the area around the target....

8. madcapmagician

madcapmagician New Member

Modifieds are tighter than IC. You can shoot slugs through IC, some aren't very accurate with modified while others are. With a modified choke and a 28" barrel you can pop clays at a pretty good distance (about 35 yards ish). If you're looking for a turkey gun, a 24" barrel with porting is pretty popular. You'd get a turkey choke (which is very tight) and larget shotshells (usually 3 or 3 1/2") for the heavier birds. You would be surprised how tight some of the turkey guns actually are.

If you had to have only one shotgun, I'd recommend a Remington 870 with different barrels. It's as easy as unscrewing the magazine tube cap and swapping barrel in and out. The Remingtons have a standard position for the barrel where as some of the Mossberg's don't (usually the cheaper ones). With pumps, the 870 is the golden standard. If it's a bird gun/skeet gun and you have some cash, there are some very nice semi autos as well.. I'm a fan of the Winchester SX2/SX3 gas guns, but this gets into another one of the Ford vs Chevy type debates.

9. gunsmoker

One shotgun with two barrels.... that's what I have.
    [​IMG]

Some targets from pattern / spread testing at an indoor range, 50 feet to 25 yards.
    The Full choke did best at 25 yards, but I think "Modified" would have broken most of the clays, too. From what I've seen on the outdoor ranges, 30 yards is "full choke" territory, and much farther than that involves both luck and good aim, not just skill.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. 1clearshot

1clearshot Member

Not real fond of Remington stuff.... Just made mistake of looking up SX2 and SX3 on Google search. Wow that SX3 is a good looking gun. :yum:

Does semi-auto require more maintenance than pump-action? I'm leaning towards semi-auto. :p

ETA: Gunsmoker, what load were you shooting at those target? Is that the bird-shot?

11. madcapmagician

madcapmagician New Member

The semi's do need some maintenance, I clean my FN SLP (same as Winchester SX2) about every 3-400 rounds. I had a day where I shot about 350 shotshells through it without issue and it was still running like a champ. The only thing on these that gets dirty is the piston area, but it's more soot than gunk. I didn't really need to clean it but it helped pass the time off from work.

12. gunsmoker

Yeah, the photos above were from my youth-model "bantam size" 20-gauge shotgun.
    Ammo was #8 birdshot. I always use #7.5 or #8 shot for plinking and busting clays.
    The 5 ovals drawn on the paper target represent 5 clays, flying with the edge-on view like you'd get in real life,
    this way, one well-centered shot equals 5 test shots to see if I would have broken that clay or not.

P.S. Buckshot will group tighter than birdshot will out of the same barrel.

13. vanguard

vanguard New Member

while we are on shotguns , can you shoot slugs out of a shotgun with a mod. choke. say a maverick 88 26i, bbl.?

14. D3R3K

D3R3K New Member

There is some really good info about shotguns in this thread! I don't know much about them, so this has been very informative.

15. jmathis84

jmathis84 New Member

I love shotguns. They are very easy to use with a pump and throw a lot of lead. They are great home defense. I dont care what happens any intruder no matter what understands that sound and that the person making it dont have to be a world class shot to ruin their day. :righton:

16. 1clearshot

1clearshot Member

How is wingmaster different than other 870? Also, shooting a same load, does semi-auto have less felt-recoil than pump?

17. budder

budder Moderator Staff Member

It has a smoother action and nicer (to me) stock. Semis will have less felt recoil.

18. 1clearshot

1clearshot Member

I blame the following mishap on these two.... :p

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It is a Remington 870 Wingmaster LW 20ga w/ modified choke barrel made in the early 80's. This is my first firearm with wood furniture. I really like the warmth of it. I'll look into newer replacement barrel with screw-in-chokes later. 1CS

19. kwikrnu

kwikrnu Banned

If I could only have one it would be a saiga 12 with a 20 round drum magazine or a kel-tec ksg. Both have high capacity, but the kel-tec is smaller.

20. Mrs_Esterhouse

Mrs_Esterhouse Swollen Member

Shotgun: max of 9 rds with slow reloading, a weight of about 6.5 lbs, a max effective range of 50 yds and a cost of $450.

AR15: 30 rds with fast reloading, a weight of about 7 lbs, a max effective range of 250+ yds and a cost of $800.

:-k :idea: AR15 for the win! :righton: