shotgun question

Discussion in 'Training' started by theduke1997, Dec 5, 2010.

1. theduke1997

theduke1997 New Member

I am a big handgun fan and go shoot a lot however a buddy wants me to go trap shooting with him and I have not had too much experience actually shooting moving targets with a shotgun. I have shot them before but mostly just around 9-10 feet away. I wanted to ask since I am left eye dominant I guess I want to try to shoot left hand which I can. Here is the question. two eyes open? That is the way I am practicing now and and a special ops friend of mine says two eyes open at all times (I guess using a scope is different ;) but no scope on the shotgun :)

2. mygunstoo

mygunstoo Active Member

Depending on your budget, you could watch some videos (U tube for example) on how to lead the shotgun to break the clay, follow up the shot even after pulling the trigger, etc. Or take some small clasess at the shotgun range from experienced shooters or teachers.

After that, start practicing. And with practice, and a good shoulder pad, you will break most of the clays.

3. theduke1997

theduke1997 New Member

Thanks! Do you agree with both eyes open on the shotgun? Same as a handgun?

4. 175FO

175FO Member

definitely both eyes open for a shotgun, especially for trap shooting, you're going to need to be able to see as much as possible. But overall I would say just have fun, trap shooting is not easy, but it is certainly entertaining.

5. theduke1997

theduke1997 New Member

Yeah I am going to have some fun for sure. I just wanted to have some info before I went. Live and learn. Thanks!

6. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

I'd start off by shooting patterns on big sheets of cardboard or paper, with a bit of orange spray paint near the center to simulate the sight picture you'd get on a flying clay target.

Try shooting at 20, 30, 40 and 50 yards to see how far about your pellets spread and how big the "gaps" are in the pattern where you could miss the target even though you aimed or pointed the shotgun correctly.

This will get you used to what a "flash sight picture" looks like if the clay is moving slow and basically in line with your line of fire.

Then you move to the trap and skeet range and learn how to add the right amount of lead to account for those moving clays that are going sideways, rising, falling, etc.

There was a time when I was missing a lot of clays on the sporting clays course, and when I checked my pattern I found that I was aiming too high. I had to point a little lower, and when I did that my scores went up like 5 points per round.

7. Quest50

Quest50 Active Member

I'm right handed, left eye dominant. I have no problems shooting trap and skeet right handed. Just give it a try and you might surprise yourself!

8. RedDawnTheMusical

RedDawnTheMusical Well-Known Member

Definitely both eyes open - you'll want to be able to track the skeet/clay into your site line. Just go out and give it a shot (potentially a pun was intended there) and you may surpirse yoruself. My first time shooting sproting clays was just a few weeks ago and I shot 63% applying no technique other than just distinctive shooting. I've gone out twice more and I'm now closer to 70%.

9. damitboy

damitboy New Member

I shot skeet competetively when I was younger and learned from an Army team shooter, one of the best I have seen. To be proficient, you HAVE to learn to shoot both eyes open. I also shoot pistol both eyes open. You lose 50% of your peripheral vision when you close one eye, losing 50% of your situational awareness.

Dave

10. Scott 40s&w

Scott 40s&w Member

It is preferred to shoot with both eyes open but some people can't do it.
    If you are a right hand shooter and left eye dominant the options are to shoot right hand and patch the left eye untill you learn to concentrate on the right eye. Or shoot left hand. I have practiced shooting rifles and shotguns left handed and I have to close the right eye to do it. I am right eye dominate. Scopes are a different story.
    The reason you should shoot left handed is because it is easier to train the hands than to retrain your eyes and brain. If you find you are missing a lot close the other eye. Your eye should foccus on the target not the front bead of the shotgun. I once shot a perfect round of trap with a gun without a front sight.

11. theduke1997

theduke1997 New Member

Scott you were right on the money with not looking at the front site. I kept trying to get a better site picture until I broke that habit and did not worry about it and starting hitting more Clays. I tried both hands just for grins and even though I am left eye dominant I was shooting ok with my right hand and keeping both eyes open. I also used the advice of using a finger to point when holding the shotgun. I did not do great since I wanted to see myself hitting more then I was but since it was my first time I felt ok with the # I was hitting. Practice makes perfect so I will work on that. It was still a blast to me.