Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My neighbor wants to buy a used 20ga pump for his 14yr old son. The dad served time on a felony charge a few years ago. Does he have any options? I suppose his Mom could buy it, but can it be in the house? I know if I buy it for him, it would be a straw purchase,so I won't do that. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
367 Posts
Seems like there was a court ruling recently that stated a person could own a firearm even if living with a convicted felon. Maybe someone here can remember more and post a link.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks whitmo,
That United States vs Huet seems to fit their situation and she should feel better about purchasing in her name. His was not a gun related felony.

·
Lawyer and Gun Activist
28,110 Posts
Like I said in that other thread, HUET could have gone the other way and the conviction could have been upheld.

If a 14 year old boy and his mother want to own and possess a shotgun, fine, but the thing should be locked up or secured in such a way that the boy's felon-father does not have access to it.

That's the safer way to proceed than letting the gun just occupy one corner of a room where any family member, including the convicted felon, could grab it whenever they felt the need.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
what gunsmoker said.

while that family has some complications to having the firearm, I would stay away and not make it my problem.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts