Shot shell considered an active defense?

Discussion in 'General GWL Questions' started by blind_shake, Jul 26, 2007.

1. blind_shake

blind_shake Active Member

I've been having a discussion off and on about the use of shot shells as a indication that you tried to resort to a "less than lethal" option while using a fire arm. Could this be considered an active defense in the court of law if say I loaded the first and/or 2nd rounds as shot shells? If it doesn't make a diference then I will go back to my Hydrashoks, thanks. :)

2. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

Less than lethal is for the police.

When people shoot other people it should be because they must be shot, not because theyshould be shot.

This is almost like warning shots. And I always say: No warning shots.

3. legacy38

legacy38 Active Member

I'd suggest that you have the best possible carry ammo in your firearm. You shouldn't be using it unless you felt you needed to stop an attacker or prevent a forcible felony.

4. blind_shake

Well, I am looking at it from a liability stand point. There's too many stupid people on juries these days and the way things are today, (LIBS) if you shoot someone with full right to defend yourself there is no guarentee you are not going to be hauled up in front of a judge and jury with the possibility of spending the rest of your life in prison :jail: or the rest of your money trying to to stay out. Anything that could be considered sympathetic to a jury is always helpful.

" Look, jury at least he peppered the assailent with a shotshell before unloading a mag on him with +P HPs!" O:)

I don't know just a goofy argument at work that comes up from time to time. i will leave it at that and let everyone put in their :2cents: , thanks

5. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

o rly?

16-3-23.1
    16-3-24.2
    51-11-9

Use the best defensive load you can buy.

6. legacy38

legacy38 Active Member

If you fire a less lethal round at someone you have legal liability that you have with firing a normal round as they can be lethal as well, and you had better be justified in using deadly force if you pull the trigger.

Also, the police never deploy less lethal without having at least one other officer at the ready with regular ammo providing cover.

7. blind_shake

Thanks Ramm, thats the kind of stuff I am looking for. I'm still new at all the gun laws. I'm just trying to keep my A$@ out of jail, I read too many anti gun BS articles about unlawful arrests and the such. shoot if border guards can go to jail for shooting a illegal alien with 700lbs of marijuana I guess I could be on the radar too for some liberal procecuter or activist judge. thanks again. I guess I will just get a good lawyer.

Good lawyer an oxi-moron?

8. blind_shake

Got ya, good point on the back up officer. Maybe i am just too much a "compationate conservative" :rotfl2:

WTS, 12- .45 shot shells for cheap! :lol:

9. legacy38

legacy38 Active Member

:lol: :lol:

10. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

No problem, I'm just glad that Georgia has these laws.

11. gsusnake

gsusnake Token Liberal Hippie

I'm really fond of the Winchester Rangers in 180gr 40S&W.

I fired a bunch of them into a phone book and they expand very well and do not seem to overpenetrate. They're a subsonic round, but seem to perform well despite that.

Easy to handle the recoil, too. The rapid fire test I did was extremely accurate.

12. blind_shake

In my USPf 45 I use Cor Bon 264gr +P but it will eat anything and I don't it carry that much only in the winter time. In my USPc 9mm I use 135gr Hydrashok low recoil which I carry the most. I also use Cor Bon +P when I am hiking/outdoors. In my Kimber SS ProCarry II I use Black Hills 215gr. I feed it only the best. :)

13. ber950

ber950 Active Member

Also be advised they will not cycle the action on a semi-auto. Leaving you with a high dollar single shot pistol. They are designed for use against snakes at very close range not self defense against humans.