shooting with middle finger

Discussion in 'Firearm Related' started by Claire, Oct 20, 2007.

1. Claire

Claire New Member

I picked up my CZ with index finger pointing forward under the slide

it was almost more natural to then shoot with my middle finger
    and it was more like instinctive shooting that I do with my bow
    and felt more comfortable
    now I have to get to the range & test

with this idea in place that would be more of a point shooting method
    it sounds more logical in a self defense situation?

has anyone tried shooting with their middle finger?

2. budder

budder Moderator Staff Member

I've done that, but my finger tends to rub against the slide and I lose the strongest finger of my grip. I think standard index-finger shooting is a better thing to practice, but you should spend some time on the range and find what works best for you.

3. VolGrad

VolGrad Tactical Statistician

I used to shoot stuff with my middle finger all the time, usually while driving.

I had to stop though since I am now usually toting a little one. Don't want her to learn bad habits. Instead, I taught her to yell MORON when we see a bad driver.

:lol:

4. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

5. VolGrad

VolGrad Tactical Statistician

***brief hi-jack, start the point counter***

A couple of weeks ago we were going somewhere and were following a local LEO down the road. On our right was a funeral home and there was a service going on for a soldier recently home from Iraq, may God rest his soul. The patriot riders were standing guard outside the home with their flags. Traffic had slowed to a stop as folks passed. The po-po in front of us was watching the guard detail too and not the stopped traffic in front of him. At the last minute he slammed on his brakes and took a highly evasive swerve. I can't believe he didn't actually hit anything. Of course, my kid with the smart mouth, yells that police officer is a MORON. It was hilarious but then I had to explain that he wasn't a MORON and that cops are our friends. LOL.

***Now, back to your regularly scheduled thread.***

6. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

:lol: :lol: Teach your kid to say "Am I free to go?" with cops.

7. merlock

merlock Active Member

+1

I can see it now...

DARE cop to little Minor Prohibitum...What do you say to drugs, son?

Minor Prohibitum: Am I free to Go?

8. LonelyMachines

LonelyMachines Guest

I have a friend who doesn't have an index finger, and he shoots quite well with his middle finger. I've tried, and although it's not dreadful, I can hit the target.

Jack Ruby shot with his middle finger, and he hit his target :shock:

The trick is to make sure your index finger doesn't a) disturb the sight picture, and b) doesn't get caught in the ejection port. The first may be hard, since the index finger will want to squeeze in sympathy with the others. If your shots start going left, that's most likely the cause.

If it works, it works. I've seen stranger techniques work well for people.

9. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

Well yea, if you have no choice. :) I haven't ever tried it. I guess I should practice with my off hand just in case my right hand is out of order.

10. ber950

ber950 Active Member

:ditto:

11. cdtracing

cdtracing New Member

Thats a really good idea. I cut my tendon on my right hand index finger back in 2000. I went out 2 weeks later with a brace on my right hand and started to shoot with my left hand. I can now say that I am just about as accurate right or left handed. Of course thats not saying too much.

12. Claire

Claire New Member

I ain't wearing a hat like Jack Ruby! :p

and will also try shooting with my weak hand

so why do some disagree with point shooting?
    I typically use open sights
    but I'd like to hear what others think - pro's vs cons