Shooting Paper and Steel with Irons

Discussion in 'Firearm Related' started by rjinga, Jul 25, 2017.

1. rjinga

rjinga Member

This was my first time shooting beyond 100 yds since I installed an HK 1200 meter rear sight onto my PTR 91, GI model. All the shooting was done off of a table with my ammo box/airsoft BB sock rest. Below are the highlights.

The rifle:
    [​IMG]

The ammunition:
    [​IMG]
    I call it German surplus.

I put what I call a “Hostage†target at 200 yds. The target is 18†tall by 12†wide, so I consider it a 2/3 size target. I’m not sure how that translate into what distance the target would appear to be at, if it were full-size. Obviously, it’s more than 200 yds.
    [​IMG]

I fired three strings of five shots each. I was aiming at the red silhouette every time.
    [​IMG]

I fired 20 rounds at the steel silhouette at 400 yds.
    [​IMG]

I had an older man (who tried to) spot for me. I got 14 out of 20, with one string of 10 hits, and another string of four hits.
    [​IMG]
    Here’s the YouTube link: https://youtu.be/RBID76Cb2hU

I had 10 rounds of Wolf Polyformance steel-cased ammunition left over, so I put a Red Dawn target at 100 yds.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Rugerer

Rugerer GeePeeDoHolic

Ignorant question here. What's the purpose of showing a coin in the picture of the range?

3. rjinga

rjinga Member

Not an ignorant question; it's a dime by the way (I should have marked it).

I include it in my original photo so that when I'm editing later, I can size the photo down to represent the actual perspective. If you open the photo to full-size on a larger tablet, laptop, or desktop, a dime placed over the dime in the photo should be the same size.

If I have the space, I usually crop it out of the photo. I didn't have the space on these photos.