Shooting on your own land

Discussion in 'General GWL Questions' started by Riverbend, Jul 17, 2007.

1. Riverbend

Riverbend New Member

Does anyone klnow what the Ga law is regarding shooting in your backyard in a safe manner, I am looking for specifics like distance from road, houses, etc.
    I appreciate any info you may have.
    :oops:

2. ahlongslide

ahlongslide New Member

If you live in Carroll county, then you have to own a whole lot of land to shoot on your own property.

It really matters where you live... I don't think Ga Code mentions anything, but county and city ordinances do...

3. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

4. Malum Prohibitum

Or Coweta, or Fulton, or a whole lotta counties.

5. Riverbend

Riverbend New Member

How about specifically regarding Forsyth County

What about in Forsyth County, north of Ga hwy 20 say in a back yard range used occasionally to check loads, etc.
    Not really a range where others go to shoot.
    Looking for definitions regarding promixity to other dwellings, highways, drive's , safe practics, etc. :wink:

6. Malum Prohibitum

7. Riverbend

Riverbend New Member

Yea, I checked for that, thanks tho

I didn't see anything in there about shooting oither than the recent Shooting Range issues.
    Is there a Ga state law that would be default in lack of a county ordinance? :?:

8. USMC - Retired

USMC - Retired Active Member

Does that include dirt roads?

9. Riverbend

Riverbend New Member

and exactly where from

I have contacted the local LEO's, State LEO's and DA's offices, and Ga Att Gen's office trying to get a defined measurement start point, and each has a different definition of where thge 50 yards is from,
    centerline,
    pavement edge,
    right of way edge,
    curb, etc

Not trying to pick this to death, just trying to ensure compliance on my part

10. slabertooch

slabertooch New Member

*hijack*

hey gunny you know anyone around here with some land, I just picked up a mosin m44 I want to sight in.

*back to your regularly scheduled thread*

11. USMC - Retired

USMC - Retired Active Member

I don't right now but may soon.... :wink:

We're looking at a place in the country.

12. shamalama

shamalama New Member

ROCKDALE COUNTY

I remember the day, many years ago, that a sheriff stopped by and "informed" my grandpa that he could no longer shoot his shotgun into the pecan tree in his field to scare away (he couldn't hit anything) the squirrels.

Some nosy neighbor, coming here during the White Flight out of DeKalb County in the 1970's, didn't like the sound of a shotgun going off.

Sad day. He put his gun up in the closet and never got it out again. That's the day "the country" became "the city". I can still remember that exact day.

13. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

Forsyth

As of a couple years ago, Forsyth did NOT have an ordinance against shooting firearms. One of my neighbors complained about me and my relatives shooting at a back yard range, and the deputies told him there was no violation of any law, but he suggested the guy could go to court to get some kind of civil injunction. We cut way back on the use of that range and now, no more complaints (that I know of). Plus, I now have a silencer. So the apparent shooting there is even less than the actual shooting there!

14. zookeper

zookeper Active Member

i live between 20 & 369, i often hear gunfire this time of year as hunters sight in their rifles. i have shot a few times at a creek near my house as it's a low area, i've even shot a time or two in my yard, well out of cumming city limits.

15. Firearmz

Firearmz New Member

You don't have to have that much in Carroll County, that ordnance was repealed.

16. Boy Racer

Boy Racer New Member

Re: and exactly where from

The ordinance doesn't indicate anything about the ROW. IANAL, but I'd probably use the EOP or curb (doubt there's a curb anywhere rural enough to be shooting).

On the other hand, there's not very much distance between the EOP/curb and the ROW/property line; depending on the ROW width, maybe as little as 3 feet or as much as 19 feet (if the pavement is even centered in the ROW). So you're arguably safer using the ROW/property line.

There... I'm glad I could clear it up or you. :mrgreen:

17. shamalama

shamalama New Member

Hmmmmm, I was thinking a little more about Rockdale County's ordinance: "It shall be unlawful for any person to fire any center fire or rim fire rifle, pistol or revolver or black powder weapon within the unincorporated area of the county within 500 feet of the residence of another..."

I am no math genius. I'm going to need someone to follow this and supply corrections where needed.

So if I'm in the backyard shooting I need to make sure the area is clear in a 500' radius from where I stand.

That means the total clear area is a circle measuring 1000' across.

Changing my math from a circle to a square, I need a clear box 1000' wide by 1000' long.

1000'x1000'=1,000,000 square feet.

One acre comprises 4,840 square yards or 43,560 square feet, or almost an entire football field.

1,000,000 square feet = 23 acres.

So, according to the geniuses that run Rockdale County, no one can shoot their handgun or rifle on their own land unless they're standing in the middle of their 23 acre backyard, assuming that you're living in a "agricultural-residential", "watershed protection", or "agricultural-multi-residential"?

Of course the point is moot if you're living in a "single-family residential" like me because the ordinance then says "unlawful within any unincorporated area of the county" regardless of distance.

That 1000-acre open range in Montana is looking better all the time.

18. kkennett

kkennett New Member

Forsyth County had a rather public issue about this a couple of years ago. There are no County ordinances on this point - only the state 50 yards from the public road. If you live in a subdivision with private roads in Forsyth Co, you have only your neighborhood covenants to deal with. In my hood, the covenant violations start with a $5 fine and 10 day cease and desist letter and go up from there. I figure I can shoot for 10 days for less than an hour of range time. While IANAL, I can't see how the ROW can be the road. Just because the government has the right to put utilities down or eventually build road at some point in space at some point in the future, there is not one now. Ultimately, they would have to sell their definition of 'road' to twelve ordinary folks from Forsyth. If you measure from the edge, I can't imagine a prosecutor wasting their time with that case.