Shooting in the clothes you wear

Discussion in 'Training' started by ChipM, Dec 21, 2010.

1. ChipM

ChipM Active Member

How many of you wear your normal clothes when shooting? Normally I shoot in a t-shirt or sweat shirt, but I spend a lot of time in public wearing a blazer or suit. A jacket like that can restrict movement in the arms and shoulders, and so a gun presentation is totally different than in a t-shirt. Recently I've practiced shooting in a blazer.

If you wear clothes that can affect your shooting, do you shoot in them?

2. Xiclotl

Xiclotl Active Member

This is a good training idea. In my martial arts days we were encouraged to train off-hours in our normal street wear. You move differently wearing blue jeans, button up shirts and sneakers or loafers than you do in a nice comfortable gi and tabi.

3. RepeatDefender

RepeatDefender New Member

All the formal training and range shooting I've ever done was in the exact day to day clothes I wear. Just makes perfect sense to me.

But a good point for those that wear suits, jackets, more formal wear, etc. :righton: Bad things aren't going to happen when we're our most comfortable...

Does this mean we should train in boxers after a few hours sleep? Going straight from the bed to shooting? Sounds crazy on the one hand, but makes sense on the other. If just to get accustomed to a problem that may well present itself.

4. JMan

JMan New Member

Honestly With adrenaline pumping you be surprise of what happens to your cloths.I had a case where I was wearing tight cloths in High School (yeah I know Tight cloths lol) . And I got jumped by 4 guys and I tore just about everything and still landed some punches . I guess They didn't like me dating their Ex lol :lol: :lol: :lol:

5. JMan

JMan New Member

If you seen some of the guys that I have off this site I wouldn't advise that :lol: :lol: :lol:

6. tmoore912

tmoore912 Just a Man

ChipM,
    I shoot a lot in the clothes I normally wear just because of what you posted about. I don't do it all the time, but most of the time. I wear sport coats or blazers quite often, and I find they do tend to make the presentation of the firearm on target a little different.

7. Xiclotl

Xiclotl Active Member

I've tried this but I usually have to go pee first. :oops:

8. Fallschirmjäger

Fallschirmjäger I watch the watchers

[​IMG]
    I myself, sleep like a baby; every three hours I'm fussin' and needing a diaper change.

9. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

When I go shooting, especially quickdraw, rapid-fire, tactical training stuff, I get dirty. Muddy from walking around the outdoor range. Dirty from handling dirty targets and frames /stands. I don't want to wear a suit and tie, or nice shoes.
    And there's always the risk of ripping something on a rusty nail, etc.

But what I have done is gone to the thrift store (Goodwill, or some other used clothing store) and bought a suit (or blazer and dress pants) that are cheap enough to be considered disposable. I've worn that kind of dress clothing shooting, and even playing paintball one time.

And yes, the coat and long sleeve shirts can bind your arms and restrict your freedom of movement a bit.

I've also practiced firing some of my smaller guns from INSIDE a jacket pocket. Not a suit coat or sport coat, but a windbreaker / light casual wear jacket with pockets made for actual use. The Model 38 Bodyguard with the shrouded hammer works well for this.

10. ChipM

ChipM Active Member

Good idea. As a side note, where do you shoot outdoors?

11. suttree

suttree New Member

:rotfl:

12. jasonb

jasonb New Member

I can just imagine a class where you get there and they have a bunch of beds setup with targets nearby. You lay down... sit up... grab gun... shoot. That would be cool... yet funny and disturbing at the same time. Even more disturbing if everyone gets in there normal bedtime attire. Maybe I could attend a ladies class for this, just to observe of course.

13. Ga_Regul8r

Ga_Regul8r Member

Hmmmm. Four guys, their ex, not exes. They didn't like the idea of a fifth wheel?

14. JMan

JMan New Member

lol I meant to say was one guy got mad at me for dating his ex had his pose come beat me up lol :lol: :lol:

I had just waken up so My typing was all over place as you can see I said They're and not their lol :lol: :lol:

15. ChipM

ChipM Active Member

I commend you for getting up at the crack of noon... :lol:

16. Archangel

Archangel Moderator Staff Member

17. ARMT Guy

ARMT Guy Ordinary Average Guy

This actually sounds like a good idea for an IDPA stage. ( Could probably get away with just using some old army surplus cots and such. )

Maybe have a door frame propped up near the bed simulating the entrance to the bedroom, for example.

I wear my every day street clothes whenever I go to the range for practice, IDPA/etc type shoots and when I've attended training classes. I don't normally wear formal civilian suits and such, ( just the issue gray 'suit' from Uncle Sammy :mrgreen: ) however, for the times when I do wear a suit jacket/sweater/etc, before I leave home, I will do a few minutes worth of practice presentations to make sure I know the best way to access the firearm, check for any potential issues and get a little bit of muscle memory established.

18. EJR914

EJR914 Cheezburger Operator

Just like in sports, practice how you want to play. Or how you're going to play. You've got to shoot in the exact same clothes that you wear often. Makes perfect sense to me.

19. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

Before I draw my gun on a bad guy, I'm going to follow this advice and wear what I wear at the range.
    Amber polycarbonate safety glasses and ear muffs.
    And I'll dump a whole box of 50 rounds loose in my pocket for convenient reloading.

What I lose on time, I'll gain on the "visible deterrent" angle.

20. ChipM

ChipM Active Member

No, no - what we're saying is that by wearing those things at the range you are programming yourself for failure. You should avoid wearing glasses and muffs at the range. Otherwise, your first reaction in a defensive situation will be to look for your glasses.