Shooting Fish in a Barrel . . .

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by Vern, Oct 2, 2010.

1. Vern

Vern New Member

. . .aint no fun when your the fish.

Can anyone figure out why it would be better to setup a base in the river valley instead of on one of the mountians?

2. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

Valleys tend to be where the roads are.
    Will y'all be traveling by road, and getting your supplies sent by road?
    If you're setting up in the mountains, you'll be dependent on helicopters for logistics and travel, right?
    Oh, and if you're in the mountains, where would the enemy attack you from? Maybe from a village in the valley? If you shot back, would there be collateral damage?
    If you're in the village in the valley and the enemy takes up positions on a mountain top, can you blow the hell out of that mountain top with big guns and air support and not worry about noncombatants getting hit?

I don't know the specifics of your situation. I'm just thinking out loud here.

3. Ashe

Ashe Active Member

One of the most common military Maxim's is "He who holds the high ground has the advantage". There are lots of reasons for this, even today. Castles were built on the high ground exactly for those reasons. The only reasons I can think of to ignore this Maxim are all political. There is absolutely no Tactical or strategic reason to fortify the low ground when appropriate high ground is available.