Shooting At The Getaway Car?

Discussion in 'Georgia In the News' started by gunsmoker, Dec 20, 2019.

1. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

https://www.ajc.com/news/crime--law...HxG0mY8difmaAoNsRK/?__twitter_impression=true

A man gets robbed by an apparently unarmed robber at a gas station. The robber rips a gold chain off of the neck of the victim and runs into a waiting getaway car.

There is another person waiting for the robber in the getaway car.

The victim is armed. QUESTION: is he authorized to shoot at that car or the robber (specifically) inside the car?

May the armed victim do this to stop the bad guy from getting away with the stolen jewelry?

For the purposes of this question assume that the crime of robbery by sudden snatching is a violent "forcible felony."

But shooting at the robber would also endanger the robber's passenger waiting in the get-away car. Is that a problem, or can the victim consider both of them to be part of the same robbing crew and open fire on both of them?

2. atlsrt44

atlsrt44 Well-Known Member

I'd say it would be difficult to justify

3. OWM

OWM Well-Known Member

Seems to me threat is retreating and victim is mostly out of danger so no the victim should not take a shot. Now if threat gets to getaway vehicle turns and points a weapon at the victim we have a new ball game.

4. Nemo

Nemo Man of Myth and Legend

No. Its a bad shoot. Woman killed earns murder charge. Nuff said.

Nemo

5. mrhutch

mrhutch Well-Known Member

Depends.

In Texas after dark, yes.

In GA, I would say no.

NTA likes this.
  6. Nemo

Nemo Man of Myth and Legend

Light? Dark? Might matter on the legal side, but not on the simple morality side. Fleeing felon? Bad Shoot!

Nemo

7. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

So Tierre shot Da'Jai because DeAngelo took Tierre's bling bling? Do I have the facts down correctly?

gunsmoker likes this.
  8. moe mensale

moe mensale Well-Known Member

Finley, the snatchor, is unarmed and attempting to flee. Williams, the snatchee, shoots at Finley and kills Green. Bad shoot for Williams. :jail:

9. GeorgiaGlocker

GeorgiaGlocker Romans 10:13

Anyone can choose to take a shot but It would be difficult to justify.

10. Clark

Clark Well-Known Member

Did the prep point a gun backward as they were running?

11. RedDawnTheMusical

RedDawnTheMusical Well-Known Member

What one might feel like doing isn't necessarily what the legal thing is to do. With no continued threat of danger, you lack the legal justification for use (or attempted use) of lethal force.

12. Smilodon

Smilodon Active Member

I heard from a Deputy today that someone has been going around smashing mailboxes. Last night they got caught by a homeowner who opened fire on them with a shotgun. I don't know if he actually hit the truck or not, and I am not sure who called it in. The Deputy said he had to go out there and tell the man he couldn't be doing that.

13. Phil1979

Phil1979 Member Georgia Carry

Get a mailbox made from Glock plastic. That sucker won't be easily smashed.

14. a_springfield

a_springfield Well-Known Member

Just use the line furtive movement’s around his waistband. Then it would be ok.

15. moe mensale

Hey. I didn't take any of them fancy lawyer classes like some here. Give me a break. :mrgreen:

16. moe mensale

Supposedly unarmed.

17. moe mensale

Then they had a beer and talked about the good ole days.............. :drink:

Smilodon likes this.
  18. Talon66

Talon66 Member

You'd honestly kill someone for a snatch-and-grab? How about if the item was a notebook or a pen... what about a piece of gum? Where do you draw that line?

19. moe mensale

Sometimes it's just a demographics thing.