Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Lawyer and Gun Activist
28,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today's "Forsyth County News" had a front-page headline about a 62-year old man who apparently had a negligent discharge while handling a loaded gun in his vehicle sitting in the parking lot of Forsyth County Pawn, which of course is at least as much a new gun store as it is a pawn shop.
The front-page article featured a photo of the business and an ambulance in the parking lot.
No details about how the accident happened, other than the guy was "attempting to load" this .45 caliber pistol.

·
I watch the watchers
12,883 Posts
It happens :(. I've learned the hard way to never load or unload except when I'm in a position where I'm perfectly in control of everything. (little thing about blowing a hole in a stuffed chair way back when going through SF selection course.)

·
Registered
7,992 Posts
Fallschirmjäger said:
(little thing about blowing a hole in a stuffed chair way back when going through SF selection course.)
the booger hook....off bang switch it must.

·
I watch the watchers
12,883 Posts
gruntpain1775 said:
Fallschirmjäger said:
(little thing about blowing a hole in a stuffed chair way back when going through SF selection course.)
the booger hook....off bang switch it must.
So true, I was lowering the hammer on a 1911 (because it didn't have a left-handed safety at the time) and I therefore
preferred to carry it in Condition 2. Thumb slipped off the burr hammer :cry: . Odd thing is that it didn't wake up the two other soldiers I was going through the Q-course with. :sleep: My theory is that it was such a sharp, short sound that if it did wake them up, they just listened to see if there really Was a sound. Hearing nothing else, they went back to sleep.

That theory was reinforced in a Mobile hotel at a later date when a co-worker of mine acquired the nickname "Boomer."

·
Under Scrutiny
19,384 Posts

·
Registered
477 Posts
Whether he was following a sign or not, an ND into oneself is through complacency that led to negligence.

Regarding the loading because of the sign, I'd much rather have the guy drop the round in himself outside instead messing with his gun inside around everyone else.

Working on the other side of the counter, I can't tell you the number of times I've had loaded guns handed to me after being told it's unloaded. The signs are meant to deter the guy pawning his hunting shotgun from carrying it in loaded than someone carrying for defensive reasons.

·
Atlanta Overwatch
13,804 Posts
madcapmagician said:
Working on the other side of the counter, I can't tell you the number of times I've had loaded guns handed to me after being told it's unloaded. The signs are meant to deter the guy pawning his hunting shotgun from carrying it in loaded than someone carrying for defensive reasons.
Thank you for that attitude. I have talked about this with Derek at 400 J&L (Are you there or at Cherokee?), and he basically told me that as long as it stays holstered hedoesn't care, but if it will be shown, sold, traded or otherwise handled to clear it before coming in.

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
i went in forsyth pawn saturday to pick up a mag for a project, OC p239, nobody even batted an eye. then headed to red lobster for late lunch with the queen, finally to the avenue so she could get a shopping fix, same story, no issue.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Adam5 said:
madcapmagician said:
Thank you for that attitude. I have talked about this with Derek at 400 J&L (Are you there or at Cherokee?), and he basically told me that as long as it stays holstered hedoesn't care, but if it will be shown, sold, traded or otherwise handled to clear it before coming in.
I'm occaisional at 400. Used to be full time.

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
madcapmagician said:
The signs are meant to deter the guy pawning his hunting shotgun from carrying it in loaded than someone carrying for defensive reasons.
Then why doesn't the sign say "loaded firearms must remain holstered at all times" instead of a blanket "No loaded firearms allowed"?

·
Lawyer and Gun Activist
28,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Maybe because a sign that says "No loaded guns unless holstered"
would mean nothing to a guy carrying-in an uncased long gun that he wants to pawn, sell, or buy some accessory for?

He'd look at the sign and think, "this only applies to pistols, because only pistols get holstered."

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
gunsmoker said:
Maybe because a sign that says "No loaded guns unless holstered"
would mean nothing to a guy carrying-in an uncased long gun that he wants to pawn, sell, or buy some accessory for?

He'd look at the sign and think, "this only applies to pistols, because only pistols get holstered."
:righton: I don't unload when I go in. The guys there and even the gals know it. Just like any where else, if you're Ocing in there, there's no reason to touch that weapon PERIOD. If you need to pull it, go back to your car, empty the round and mag and go back in (ive done this as well). The sign is for idiots, not for people who know their weapons and aren't clueless, such as this guy in his car ;) They know how we work guys come'on. They're just like us, but trying to prevent some idiot from carrying a weapon in thinking it was unloaded. Gotta admit you think about it when ya see it don't ya?

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
I frequent a gun store/range in Savannah. Their sign on the door states: All guns must be unloaded before entering store...No exceptions. I do not unload my CC gun. They don't know I have it & I'm not about to handle it until I'm at my station in the range, if then. I won't frequent a gun store that disarms me each time I walk in their store.

They put the sign up because several month's ago they had a negligent discharge when a customer came into the store and handed the store employee a gun, & then told him it was loaded. The employee was attempting to unload the gun when it went off. The bullet travelled through the gun display case & struck the customer in the leg . First, I would never hand a loaded gun to someone else & then ask them to unload my gun. Second, I would never take someone else's gun & then try to unload it when I'm not familiar with it.

I don't know if any law suits were filed, but many factors contributed to the shooting. Each one in and of itself could be construed as minor, but when added together they became major. The owner never should have handed off a loaded pistol & then asked the other person to unload his gun. The employee should never have tried to unload a gun he wasn't familiar with. The gun should have been aimed some place safe when attempting to unload it, not at the customer's leg. I'm sure there are more factors than I'm listing here, but you get the picture. A gun owner/handler must be totally safe every second of every day. Any little insignificant mis-step can be fatal (although none of these factors WERE insignificant).

1 - 14 of 14 Posts