Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Lawyer and Gun Activist
28,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Check out this video of an action pistol match on an outdoor range.
They used a lot of barricades to block the shooter's view of what targets were coming up.
The shooter could only see the targets as he made his way through the maze of barrels, walls (bed sheets hung over wooden frames), and cardboard targets / no shoots.

Well, after this guy has already fired dozens of shots and looks more than halfway through the course, he finds some other shooter on the course, patching holes in one of the targets!

That other guy had been downrange the whole time !!!

But he couldn't be seen due to all the junk, all the obstacles and barriers, set up for this match.

http://www.military.com/video/guns/pistols/close-call-at-the-gun-range/4138170467001

·
Proud GCO member.
7,960 Posts
WOW! Failures on multiple levels. Very fortunate someone wasn't shot.

·
Ninjaneering Computers
2,662 Posts
At all the USPSA matches I've shot, the RSO always walks to the back of the bay and comes forward as the targets are taped, clearing the bay of any other shooters. This was a clear failure of the RSO to perform his duties. And dang lucky for the guy doing the patching.

·
Ninjaneering Computers
2,662 Posts
What no red and blue flags to mark the range hot or cold?
Not generally at these kinds of matches. In fact, I've never seen that at a match.
I'll bet that shooter and the guy pasting the targets felt physically ill afterward.
I'd be done for the day. Probably longer than that.

·
Cumberland County, Maine
1,310 Posts
Everytime I went to a match the RSO is screaming their ass off for everyone to get behind the line of fire while walking through the whole maze.

·
Proud GCO member.
7,960 Posts
I've seen this happen at a rocketry event where mistakes can also be fatal. A large rocket was ignited while being connected (i.e. looking down the business end). The only saving grace was that an engine takes about a 1-2 seconds to come up to pressure and the flyer heard the igniter pop and dove out of the way.

The cause: No one stepped up to relieve an exhausted RSO and he failed to shut the entire event down and walk away. In our case, we were as much to blame as he was.

Complacency is a killer and Range safety is everyone's job.

·
Registered
14,962 Posts
The guy downrange doing the patching was participating in a "Stress Under Fire" course. :panic:

Reactions: GAfella
1 - 11 of 11 Posts