Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
7,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, Sportsfans! (This is not a slam on all my friends who pointed this out to me last night, I just want to do a little research as it would be a real bummer for things to go wrong.)

I am flying to Oregon in May to see my parents and to drive back a gifted car from them to Georgia, where it will be registered. The prospects of doing that whole trip unarmed bother me. I will not be checking any baggage, and therefore cannot place one of my treasured carry items into luggage and submit to the TSA.

I am going to send all my clothes and travel items via UPS (NOT USPS) to my parents a few days in advance of my arrival there. I shall carry-onboard minimal clothing and I shall carry my diabetic supplies.

Now, the heart of the question.... My friends (you know who you are) told me that I can simply and securely place my carry item into that box I am sending and send it to myself at my destination. Since there is no transfer, and it is not addressed to anyone but me, it "meets" me at my destination, legally. No transfer through an FFL is required.

Can somebody point me to some sort of official link to this scenario, and its legality?

I know I have no reciprocity with Oregon, and cannot attain that. OC is legal, but not in some locations. I am able to posess and maintain a weapon under Oregon law.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
Honestly I don't know any links to prove this , but I personally have broken a gun down into parts and shipped into a box with cloths but I also put those parts separate from each other (scatter ) them through out that box . I never had a issue with UPS.com

·
Registered
7,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I understand that "what is not prohibited, is legal".

·
Registered
37 Posts
Match10 said:
OK, Sportsfans! (This is not a slam on all my friends who pointed this out to me last night, I just want to do a little research as it would be a real bummer for things to go wrong.)

I am flying to Oregon in May to see my parents and to drive back a gifted car from them to Georgia, where it will be registered. The prospects of doing that whole trip unarmed bother me. I will not be checking any baggage, and therefore cannot place one of my treasured carry items into luggage and submit to the TSA.

I am going to send all my clothes and travel items via UPS (NOT USPS) to my parents a few days in advance of my arrival there. I shall carry-onboard minimal clothing and I shall carry my diabetic supplies.

Now, the heart of the question.... My friends (you know who you are) told me that I can simply and securely place my carry item into that box I am sending and send it to myself at my destination. Since there is no transfer, and it is not addressed to anyone but me, it "meets" me at my destination, legally. No transfer through an FFL is required.

Can somebody point me to some sort of official link to this scenario, and its legality?

I know I have no reciprocity with Oregon, and cannot attain that. OC is legal, but not in some locations. I am able to posess and maintain a weapon under Oregon law.
Well it's not exactly what you're asking for, but when they say checked luggage that can also include a firearms case. So unless you're going to get charged extra for checking a case(which sounds like you might be) you can just check a hard case with the weapon inside as your checked baggage.

Now, for UPS: You can ship the handgun, but it HAS to be next-day air, and it HAS to be signed for, and you can't mark it as a firearm. Just pack it up, next day air it and mail it c/o yourself at your folks address. Oh, forgot to mention, but it also has to be dropped off at a real UPS store, and not mailboxes etc or something along those lines.
http://www.ups.com/content/us/en/resour ... ng+firearm

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/unlicen ... ms-carrier

and the ATF quote: Q: May a nonlicensee ship firearms interstate for his or her use in hunting or other lawful activity?
Yes. A person may ship a firearm to himself or herself in care of another person in the State where he or she intends to hunt or engage in any other lawful activity. The package should be addressed to the owner. Persons other than the owner should not open the package and take possession of the firearm.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
I agree with you trying to have some type link to maybe print out to keep with you to protect you but honestly I have searched for this and nothing comes up . But what I do and never have problem don't mean you won't . But I don't see a problem if that gun is broken down into parts , now it's just that parts .

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
tarka said:
Match10 said:

Well it's not exactly what you're asking for, but when they say checked luggage that can also include a firearms case. So unless you're going to get charged extra for checking a case(which sounds like you might be) you can just check a hard case with the weapon inside as your checked baggage.

Now, for UPS: You can ship the handgun, but it HAS to be next-day air, and it HAS to be signed for, and you can't mark it as a firearm. Just pack it up, next day air it and mail it c/o yourself at your folks address. Oh, forgot to mention, but it also has to be dropped off at a real UPS store, and not mailboxes etc or something along those lines.
http://www.ups.com/content/us/en/resour ... ng+firearm
You can't carry the weapon on your person while entering the aircraft so being that it would be in this small gun case I wouldn't trust leaving that floating around underneath .

·
Under Scrutiny
19,386 Posts
Q: May a nonlicensee ship firearms interstate for his or her use in hunting or other lawful activity?
Yes. A person may ship a firearm to himself or herself in care of another person in the State where he or she intends to hunt or engage in any other lawful activity. The package should be addressed to the owner. Persons other than the owner should not open the package and take possession of the firearm.
http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/unlicen ... g-firearms

·
Under Scrutiny
19,386 Posts
Q: May a nonlicensee ship a firearm by common or contract carrier?
A nonlicensee may ship a firearm by a common or contract carrier to a resident of his or her own State or to a licensee in any State. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun. In addition, Federal law requires that the carrier be notified that the shipment contains a firearm and prohibits common or contract carriers from requiring or causing any label to be placed on any package indicating that it contains a firearm.

[18 U.S.C. 922(a)(2)(A), 922(a) (3), 922(a)(5) and 922(e), 27 CFR 478.31 and 478.30]
Same link as above.

·
Registered
7,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
tarka said:
Now, for UPS: You can ship the handgun, but it HAS to be next-day air, and it HAS to be signed for....
Not true. I have, and will continue to ship my firearms as legal, and not how UPS would insist. Those are UPS regs, not law. I understand they may not agree, but I really do not care.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Tech5 said:
You can't carry the weapon on your person while entering the aircraft so being that it would be in this small gun case I wouldn't trust leaving that floating around underneath .
Yeah it is liable to get lost, I was just listing it as an option, alternative being strapping it into a rifle case and loading up on the foam.

·
Registered
7,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
mountainpass said:
Q: May a nonlicensee ship firearms interstate for his or her use in hunting or other lawful activity?
Perfect! Thank you!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Match10 said:
tarka said:
Now, for UPS: You can ship the handgun, but it HAS to be next-day air, and it HAS to be signed for....
Not true. I have, and will continue to ship my firearms as legal, and not how UPS would insist. Those are UPS regs, not law. I understand they may not agree, but I really do not care.
Well you asked for the stipulations and I listed the legal stipulations from the ATF as well as the private considerations asked by UPS... apparently I wasting my time since you're an expert.

They're a private business, and they have their rules, much like it's perfectly legal to carry with a permit, but private business owners can ask you to leave. Ship it how you wish risk arriving in oregon with your firearm in limbo waiting for your signature in GA to reclaim possession since they denied to transport it. 99.99997% chance it won't happen, but you're dealing with a private corporation and their rules, if you don't like them you take the chances or look elsewhere.

·
Registered
7,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
tarka said:
Well you asked for the stipulations and I listed the legal stipulations from the ATF as well as the private considerations asked by UPS... apparently I wasting my time since you're an expert.

They're a private business, and they have their rules, much like it's perfectly legal to carry with a permit, but private business owners can ask you to leave. Ship it how you wish risk arriving in oregon with your firearm in limbo waiting for your signature in GA to reclaim possession since they denied to transport it. 99.99997% chance it won't happen, but you're dealing with a private corporation and their rules, if you don't like them you take the chances or look elsewhere.
Correct. I asked about the law. I did not ask about UPS' requirements. But thank you.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Match10 said:
tarka said:

Correct. I asked about the law. I did not ask about UPS' requirements. But thank you.
Just pack and wrap it tight and go about business as usual then, like I said worst they'll probably do is deny shipment should they, through some act of god, find out whats in the box.

I'd still take it directly to UPS though. Mailboxes etc leaves their UPS/FedEx stuff laying around in boxes in the middle of the storefront.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
mountainpass said:
I know who to ask next time I want a LINK

GOOD JOB!!! :righton: :righton: :righton:

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
Match10 said:
tarka said:

Well he did try to help you so at least give him credit where credit is due ....

Also don't forget to take your
Georgiacarry.org card!!!

·
Registered
7,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Oh, I did get more help than I asked, and that is great. (I thought I did say "Thank you") I fully understand shipping through UPS, as I know from being a former shipping person what they are. I wanted to legalities of this from the ATF. I never considered I could ship myself my own firearms at t my destination.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Bottom line is that you probably can't make it work legally with UPS. It is legal to ship a handgun to yourself through a common carrier as long as you declare the handgun. The receiver is the handgun, so taking it apart does not help you. UPS requires you use their overnight service if you declare a handgun. I have heard that even though federal law permits mailing to yourself, that UPS will often not process a declared handgun that is not addressed to an FFL. Even if you do convince them to accept it, the cost will be high to send your clothes and handgun overnight.

·
Registered
7,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
It's probably going to be easier to convince my father that he should allow me to borrow one of his various items..... Though I can/could simply take the box with my jacket, jeans, shorts, and shirts up to the Customer Service counter in Acworth and simply tell them it is a handgun, among clothing, send it overnight, and meet it there. It's probably still going to be cheaper and less of a hassle than trying to carry luggage! I'm not sending all my aclothes for this week and a half's trip, just some.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts