Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner

Shipping firearm through UPS?

2K views 11 replies 10 participants last post by  tmoore912 
#1 ·
I'm having to send my little P32 back to Kel-Tec for some issues. I received an email back from them saying what I needed to do etc.. Only problem is there aren't any specific requirements listed on shipping it to them.
I've shipped faulty ammo to Speer through UPS at one point and had to write certain things on the box as warnings or what not. Do I need to do certain things like this for sending them my pistol? Again, Kel-Tec didn't say to but I was wondering..
Also had to take the Ammo to the local hub to ship it, is this the case as well?

Thanks in advacne :)

#7 ·
I chose to let my local FFL dealer ship my handgun back to the factory for me, since FFL dealers can ship handguns through the U.S. Mail (really cheap) and private individuals like me would have to use a private shipping company like UPS, and they insist that handguns go "next day air" (expensive!) for security reasons.

But today when I went to pick up my now-repaired handgun from my dealer, they made me fill out a form 4473 and I had to either show my GFL or go through the instant background check! For my own gun that I brought to them a few weeks ago.
(I know pawn shops have to run a background check before returning a gun to a customer, but I didn't pawn the pistol. I let them ship it to the factory for repairs for me.)

I wasn't expecting that.

#8 ·
gunsmoker said:
I chose to let my local FFL dealer ship my handgun back to the factory for me, since FFL dealers can ship handguns through the U.S. Mail (really cheap) and private individuals like me would have to use a private shipping company like UPS, and they insist that handguns go "next day air" (expensive!) for security reasons.

But today when I went to pick up my now-repaired handgun from my dealer, they made me fill out a form 4473 and I had to either show my GFL or go through the instant background check! For my own gun that I brought to them a few weeks ago.
(I know pawn shops have to run a background check before returning a gun to a customer, but I didn't pawn the pistol. I let them ship it to the factory for repairs for me.)

I wasn't expecting that.
That seems strange that they made you fill out another 4473. My S&W MP15-22 had extraction issues when I first bought it and I took it back to Academy Sports to let them handle the shipping since I had purchased it there. They called me when it came in and just walked me to the front door with it when I picked it up.

#10 ·
gunsmoker said:

I wasn't expecting that.
So, is this a newer dealer, or someone well established? Usual guy or new employee?

What it sounds like to me is instead of taking the gun and shipping it, they actually received the firearm into their inventory before shipping it off. Why they would do that I don't know.

#11 ·
To re-surface this.. I'm going to be traveling to Komifornia later this month, I was out there last year but had to drive. I'm flying out this time.

I've flown with my weapon plenty of times, and is not biggy but still makes me nervous about them losing it/stealing whatever.

Is LAX gonna hassle me more than say the Atlanta airport, or South Dakota?
I have the ability to be at the loading dock and receive the shipment/sign myself (get them all the time while on the job for other stuff). Should I just send it to myself?

#12 ·
Cagleicious said:
To re-surface this.. I'm going to be traveling to Komifornia later this month, I was out there last year but had to drive. I'm flying out this time.

I've flown with my weapon plenty of times, and is not biggy but still makes me nervous about them losing it/stealing whatever.quote]

viewtopic.php?f=26&t=55741

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.