SHIPPING A GUN ????

Discussion in 'General GWL Questions' started by chainsaw123, Oct 16, 2007.

1. chainsaw123

chainsaw123 GPDO Supporter

I am not needing to ship one but the question just came to me. If I had to ship a gun to a non FFL person, could I ship it without a firing pin and send the pin seperately? You would be shipping a non functioning weapon as parts and the second package would just be parts. So, can you send any weapon this way?

thanks

2. budder

budder Moderator Staff Member

No matter how you break it down, the receiver is still considered a firearm.

3. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

Ditto

+1 to above. Generally, the part of a gun that has the serial number stanped on it is the "firearm" for federal law purposes. There's no requirement that it be a working and functional firearm. Now if you weld the breech closed and cut the frame with a torch and saw through the chamber with a hacksaw, then maybe you have made it a non-firearm, but certainly just removing the firing pin won't do it.

P.S. To discourage theft of working firearms, and to keep my guns from being intercepted in transit and traded on the black market where they may one day be used in a crime, I normally ship the receiver / frame with an FFL dealer and then just mail the other parts seperately, on my own. That way unless the criminals intercept BOTH packages and re-assemble the weapon, they only steal a bunch of various parts that are worthless to them.

4. Macktee

Macktee New Member

I was informed, by the nice people at Hi-Point, that I can ship firearms without any special license or paperwork as an individual to another individual, or any of the various types of FFL holders.

If I had an FFL or C&R license, apparently, there are considerations.

They also said not to state the contents of the package to be a pistol, rifle or whatever, but simply call it "machined parts" or something similar. I chose to call it a "paper punch"... The primary reason for that was to prevent UPS for insisting on next-day delivery or giving the USPS people the vapors!

Doug at Bullseye gave me essentially the same info. He said two non-licensed individuals can ship firearms to each other, but an FFL holder can only ship to another FFL. Strange...

:screwy:

5. ls1ssdavid

ls1ssdavid New Member

I also heard something similar to this from a buddy of mine. He stated that an individual could ship a firearm in the mail to him or herself without going threw a FFL. The only requirement was the name of the sender and reciver was the same. :shock:

6. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

If it goes across state lines or is shipped in state, it must go through a FFL.

7. budder

Nope. You can ship long guns to yourself. You can even ship it to someone else if they are temporarily holding it for you (the owner of the house you're staying at on a hunting trip, for example).

8. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

Oh, ok. But, it better go to yourself and not just be addressed that way for a sale...That would probably create all kinda trouble.

9. budder

Oh, definitely. What those guys at Hi-Point told Macktee could get someone in a lot of trouble.

10. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

Probably both with the ATF and for mail fraud.

11. ls1ssdavid

ls1ssdavid New Member

I do believe it's now the BATF. Make's it more offical sounding I guess :roll: .

12. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

Yea, BATFE, I think. I guess for now, people still know what ATF is. I guess the E was added for explosives and the B for bureau so that you can just say it as one word, or some crap.