Sheepdogs in 1755

Discussion in 'Firearm Related' started by Rugerer, Oct 4, 2010.

1. Rugerer

Rugerer GeePeeDoHolic

I picked up a new book on a whim from a Christian bookstore: The Portable Patriot.

It has a nice collection of various letters, speeches, and documents that illuminate American history.

The following struck me as the Sheepdog story set in 1755.

RELIGION AND PATROTISM, The Constituents of a Good SOLDIER.
    A SERMON Preached to Captain Overton's Independent Company of Volunteers, raised in Hanover County, Virginia, August 17, 1755
    by Samuel Davies, A.M. Minister of the Gospel there.

http://openlibrary.org/books/OL6621008M ... od_soldier

Later in the pamphlet, he refers to an instance of "some Sparks of this Martial Fire" with a footnote:

George Washington was famous before he got famous. :)

2. gruntpain1775

gruntpain1775 New Member

General Washington was a bad dude. He was not afraid to get into it, and scrap with whomever. He did a lot of withdrawling during the Revolution, but that was more of an effort to starve and tire the other side and preserve his Army than it was a sign of cowardice. He used what is called Fabien tactics. Lot's of stories too of him brushing shot from his wig after a battle,Coat full of bullet holes...never so much a scratch on the man.

3. EJR914

EJR914 Cheezburger Operator

4. Rugerer

Rugerer GeePeeDoHolic

I got 13 hours of audio book for His Excellency: George Washington I'm hoping to listen to again on my upcoming trip.

5. Rugerer

Rugerer GeePeeDoHolic

Washington: A Life, p. 124

Dauntless, that's him. :)

6. Rugerer

Rugerer GeePeeDoHolic

It has been said that a “special Providence watches over children, drunkards, and the United States.â€

Ibid, p. 281.