Shaving questions

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by sunnymw, Oct 9, 2016.

1. sunnymw

sunnymw Active Member

Okay, Christmas shopping for a 20 year old. Active duty army. Travels a lot. Photo below of what he currently totes around.

So, I'm looking for a waterproof container for the soap? And he loves the razor so I'll likely replace it with an identical one because deployment was rough on the faux finish. And probably a brush that comes with a case.

Aaaaaand a stylish case to hold all that. Something MOLLE style or maybe a small hard case like a Pelican box where I can cut out the foam... I WAS searching for all inclusive kits, but it ain't happening.

So, ye experts that actually remove fuzz from your faces, please advise.

[​IMG]

2. Archangel

Archangel Moderator Staff Member

What kind of razor is that?

I have a similar kit, but that razor looks cool.

I keep mine in a standard leather shaving kit, I leave the soap out till it dries. I would assume though he won't have the luxury of doing that.

3. Mstr-Chris

Mstr-Chris Well-Known Member

Check out https://www.classicshaving.com . There are travel brushes that retract. There is a travel section under Sets & Kits. Over the years I've used various razors. Safety, straight, etc.

4. sunnymw

sunnymw Active Member

It's a Harry's, made with his initials.

5. hma153

hma153 Uninvited Guest

Snugpak ResponsePak. Decent size bag for all his toiletries (14"W x 8.5"H x 5.5"D).

[​IMG]

For soap, Proraso Shaving Soap in a Jar. Travels well.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 9, 2016
  6. sunnymw

sunnymw Active Member

7. AtlPhilip

AtlPhilip Proud GCO member.

8. sunnymw

sunnymw Active Member

Okay, so here's where I'm at

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And probably maybe the pelican case, but still undecided on the case part.

9. phaed

phaed Active Member

has he tried a safety razor? he's already going old school on the soap and brush; might as well go all the way. oh, and some truefitt & hill pre-shave oil and some witch hazel with aloe are the perfect complements to that. witch hazel is cheap. the oil is expensive, but that little bottle will last a surprisingly long time. that's what all i use, granted it's no longer ruggedized for the field.

10. gsusnake

gsusnake Token Liberal Hippie

Truefitt & Hill is the BOMB preshave oil. Their beard oil and cologne are awesome too.

11. Wheedle

Wheedle Active Member

I have been using a Merkur classic for about 6 years now, and I will not go back to modern razors. Nothing but a straight razor shave gets as close. All this new fangled crap doesn't even come close.

12. phaed

phaed Active Member

same here. i now prefer them (use a Merkur Futur). initially, it was because those fancy disposable blades got so expensive. D/E blades cost nothing in comparison, but now i actually prefer them. it's different, and requires more care and a slower pace, but produces better results. it's a relaxing ritual now.

i tried a straight razor too, but my beard's too thick, or i'm just not good enough with the blade or something. i couldn't figure it out.

13. mog

mog Active Member

Safety razor's for the win! Merkur here too. Get him to try one!

14. Wheedle

Wheedle Active Member

I have to admit, I like the 'ritual' also. I'm discovering that I enjoy things that require a method or ritual more as I get older. Finicky cars, motorcycles, single-malt scotch, small-batch bourbon, good cigars. I even enjoy cleaning after a trip to the range.

As for straight razors, I have a proclivity for injuring myself in unique ways... so I don't trust myself with a straight razor.

15. Mstr-Chris

Mstr-Chris Well-Known Member

16. phaed

phaed Active Member

i've got one of those also, it's too light for me. i prefer a heavy one like the futur. it makes quick movements less likely, and lets gravity apply the force instead of your hand. the futur is also adjustable, that one isn't without adding wobble and rotation. the futur is also easier to change blades on, not that that is that big of a deal. the one you chose is easier to grip, though. my one gripe about the futur is that it's slippery smooth.

17. rmodel65

rmodel65 Yukon Cornelius

+1 on the merkur they have a turbo 2.3!

[​IMG]

18. Wheedle

Wheedle Active Member

19. SgtRock

SgtRock Member

Self-Identify as a Sikh in the NEW action army...problem solved...

[​IMG]