Shaolin monk throws needle through glass (in slo mo)

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by Xiclotl, Jan 27, 2011.

1. CountryGun

CountryGun New Member

That is one very thin piece of glass. It's much like the cover-glass used over a microscope slide. IDK Impressive at first, but this is going to trigger another physics debate. I can hardly wait! :popcorn: I think anyone who can throw a baseball could repeat it, with the same thin glass. There's an awful lot of energy on the point of that needle at impact. That's what enables you to get through a car window with the pointed tool.

Interesting video, but it needs some Kung Fu music.

2. pwrlifter12

pwrlifter12 New Member

Please do repeat it. Be sure to film it too.

3. CountryGun

CountryGun New Member

I will, if I can get my arm that high, and find glass that thin. :lol:

4. Fallschirmjäger

Fallschirmjäger I watch the watchers

If you define "needle" as something with enough mass, (and that wasn't your typical darning needle) and define "pane" as something thin enough, then anything is possible.

The video is playing on your expectations of what a needle and a pane of glass are. You are using the expectations from the needles and glass you see around you; that's not necessarily what is in the video.

5. Fallschirmjäger

- Freeze-frame your way from 1:14 to 1:16 and look at that needle. Compare its length to the width of his hand. Now think about the needles you use for sewing at home, how do they compare? If you held one at more than arm's length away would it be that prominent?

I'm impressed... but I'm definitely not awed.

6. cpelliott

cpelliott New Member

Does he have a license to carry that needle?

7. JeF4y

JeF4y New Member

And how many can he carry at once? :lol:

8. Xiclotl

Xiclotl Active Member

No high capacity needle magazines! If only one fool imitates Jet Li in "Kiss of the Dragon" the results would be catastrophic. :lol:
    [​IMG]

9. EJR914

EJR914 Cheezburger Operator

That's actually a dart, and if I'm not mistaken, in Kung Fu folk lore, such darts were dipped in different type poisons and used to kill enemies silently. Most of the time they were blown out of a tube, making it a blow dart gun and a projectile.

Since I'm pretty sure I could not replicate that stunt, I'm impressed.

I think the most amazing thing about this is making sure the dart tip perfectly struck the glass. Any deflection in X or Y axis would have made the dart smack the glass and not go through it. The concentration and physical coordination to do such a thing are indeed spectacular.

10. CountryGun

CountryGun New Member

Exactly! 1:16 is the best. That thing is a spike! The glass is also thinner than what we normally expect. I'm not even convinced it's glass. What if it were the sugar-glass used in movies? I'm reasonably sure that others can reproduce this "feat" given the same materials.

There once was a monk who, on a talk show, demonstrated his ability to walk on eggs without breaking them. Then the host did the same thing.

11. Fallschirmjäger

Big needle, almost a spike
    Thin glass, I found a 12x12 pane of glass online that's .05" thick .... 1/20th of an inch
    Proximity, his hand is about 8-10 inches or less from the glass at the point of release.

It's not trickery; as it does happen, but it doesn't happen like you perceive.

12. pml

pml Active Member

If he was a lefty, big $$$ in baseball.

13. jmathis84

jmathis84 New Member

Say what you want its still pretty cool. Monks can do crazy stuff.

14. Ken1961

Ken1961 Dei Gratia

I've seen some strange things, first hand, that were supposed to be attributed to "chi". Including a gentleman, who, through personal study, could literally tap a 2" thick concrete slab with his palm and break it. I chose the slab. I couldn't do it without a full force iron palm strike. He actually tapped it. Lightly. Even my instructor at the time was amazed. He didn't believe in "Chi".

Maybe it was all "technique". Maybe it was chi. In any case it worked for him. It worked for the monk.

I've sought out and seen weird stuff. I like doing that.

As always, you be the judge.

15. EJR914

EJR914 Cheezburger Operator

I'm sorry if you do not believe that Shaolin Monks are bad mothers, take a look at this Shaolin Monk take on another martial artist from a different discipline.

He doesn't lay a finger on him...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QP5TgxWaZrs

If you can take on a black belts charging you, trying to kick you at the same time, let me know. I'd like to come train with you. :D

16. CountryGun

CountryGun New Member

I'm not discounting the skills of the Shaolin. I never meant to infer that. What I am saying is that that driving a nail through thin glass is not that impressive.
    The video's cool. Thanks!

17. bdee

bdee انا باتمان

It's all fun and games until someone gets an eye poked out. :shattered: