Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After getting the dog's yearly checkup and vaccinations, I figured we'd go for a walk. I googled the nearest park and Shakerag park came up.

After walking around a bit, I looked at the map kiosk to locate the nature trail. I walked off in that direction and as we were walking along the paved jogging track, we got passed by a bunch of middle schoolers jogging along with no adult supervision. As we got closer to the playing fields (that you have to pass to get to the nature trail) I see a sign that says the park is closed to the public during school hours on school days (it was 11am) and that it's considered school property at those times. About that time the coach goes riding by on his golf cart giving me a funny look.

I was sure glad I was not open carrying. I'm not sure of the legality of carrying there since it's apparently part time school property, but I'm sure there would have been yelling and handcuffs involved, and a good chance at my dog being shot. I stopped and read the park rules at the sign posted at the entrance, (yep, I'm the guy that does that) and it didn't say anything about this situation. You actually have to be well into the park to see the signs pertaining to it's dual usage. There is a small section of the park at the entrance that is not dual use, and always public, but it's maybe 10-15% of the entire park.

Also, I don't understand how they can use non school funds to build a public park that is only useable to the public when school is out.

This just seems wrong on several levels.

Az

·
American
3,289 Posts
Have to agree with you that it seems wrong to co-opt a public park for limited use on a regular basis. The other issue is that there is apparently a lack of signage indicating such until you're already on the property that they consider school grounds. Funny, but most places the School Board and County Commissioners (who run the parks) usually are at odds with each other and do not cooperate particularly well.

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
How do s the preemption work if it is a public park used by or even on the school property? If public (non school) funds built it all is that then a conflict of tax dollars.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts