Georgia Packing banner

21 - 22 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
13,513 Posts
I am not up on current sex offender laws. Is this action by the Effingham County Sheriff authorized under current Georgia law?
This appears to be a statewide program overseen by the Georgia Department of Community Supervision. Whether it's authorized by law, I don't know.

https://dcs.georgia.gov/press-releases/2019-10-30/dcs-enhances-public-safety
Each year, DCS works to provide an increased level of supervision on Halloween for our high-risk sex offender population. To mitigate risk and preserve public safety, proactive initiatives have been developed across the state that will provide maximum supervision which ultimately focuses on our core mission of protecting the public during Halloween.

·
Lawyer and Gun Activist
28,018 Posts
I suppose parolees, and probationers, can be made to show up for an appointment for a face- to-face meeting with their (or another) P/O officer. If a bunch of such meetings are all scheduled to happen at the local jail, on Halloween night, but nobody is actually in custody or put in handcuffs or locked in a cell, but instead they just have a group chat session with pizza and ice tea and Cokes in a meeting room... that's not violating anybody's constitutional rights.

21 - 22 of 22 Posts