Sex offenders locked down, in the dark for Halloween

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by Adam5, Oct 31, 2007.

1. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/10/31/halloween.offenders/index.html

2. viper32cm

viper32cm New Member

Wouldn't it be more effective just to shoot them or make the eunuchs. I mean it's quite clear that sex offender is the most despised criminal in the US.

3. pro2am

pro2am New Member

So, because a person has to register as a sex offender...including the 17 year old that was caught having sex with his 15 year old girlfriend, they ALL are subject to this police action on Halloween?

Just playing devils advocate here...or in this case maybe its angels advocate...whatever.

I'm all for strict laws for molesters, rapists etc., but right now it seems that there are a small percentage of "sex offenders" out there that got caught doing what, in all likelihood, we all did at a certain age and are paying a huge price for the rest of their lives, AND they're lumped into the category of rapist and child molesters.

Kind of like you're a felon if you put your gun under the seat of your car and forget your GFL. You are equal to a murderer or burglar or {insert your felony here} when you do that and you will always be treated as such.

:soapbox:

4. Macktee

Macktee New Member

The problem, as I see it, is not all sex offenders are equal...

There are some who have raped strangers. Some have abused children. Some have had consensual sex with other teenagers. Some kissed another second grader.

Unfortunately, the law treats them all the same.

Sexual predators should be treated harshly and kept on a very short leash. Many (perhaps most?), sex offenders should not be lumped in with those scumbags.

Like many, many, many, many laws in this country, sanity should prevail.

:screwy: :screwy: :screwy: :screwy: :screwy:

But, we all know it won't!!!

Write your congressperson.

:rant:

5. AeroShooter

AeroShooter Active Member

It doesn't stop there Macktee... I recall one story about a jogger who had been locked out of a park bathroom so he walked into the tree line to urinate. He was arrested by police, who had locked the bathroom as part of a sting to catch homosexuals by forcing them into the woodline. He was charged with indecent exposure (though he didn't expose himself to anyone) and had thought to just pay the fine to make the nuisance go away until he learned he'd have to register as a sex offender for the rest of his life... $10K later he had cleared his name.

The sex offender laws should be re-written to properly deal with crimes accordingly.

6. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

How is peeing in the woods homosexual? I'm missing something...

7. VolGrad

VolGrad Tactical Statistician

We already had this discussion about sex offender registries a few weeks ago. I am too lazy to look up the thread to link it. Either way, I checked my sex offender maps online in the area we trick-or-treating before we left.

8. jeepsterwannabe

jeepsterwannabe New Member

this story sounds familiar....
    rmember the movie Something about Mary,.... the scene Ben Stiller at the highway rest stop...

9. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

locking public restrooms

So if the Minneapolis airport would have locked their mens' room shut, Senator Craig would have had to solicit sex in elevators and telephone booths? Hmm... at least then we'd probably have security camera film of the incident.

10. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

Now, several Sheriffs across Georgia have printed standardized "No Trick Or Treating Here" signs, that SAY this sign is from the Sheriff. The Sheriff is making registered sex offenders have these signs in their yards, on their private property.
    And the Sheriffs are being sued over it. Not only because this is extra punishment (public shaming, a scarlet letter) but it violates private property rights, AND free speech per the 1st Amendment (the government can't force you to speak, even if what they're demanding you say is "true.") Butts county is one where the Sheriff has been sued in federal court over this.

https://www.news-daily.com/news/no-...cle_63be3f8a-0115-5e8d-ba09-a7913af6aba3.html

MY COMMENT:

VolGrad used the long-existing law regarding a sex offender registry to look out for his family's safety. Is it too damned much to expect the same of other parents who worry (or pretend to be worried, just to have something to talk about, to add some drama into their lives)? Parents, do your job. The State of Georgia gave you the tool (free, online, database of sex offenders). If you think there's a risk, LEARN where the risk is and AVOID IT. Do your "due diligence."

11. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Now THAT is how you find an on topic post instead of starting a new one and having multiple threads on the same subject! :righton:

MaricopaKid and gunsmoker like this.
  12. MaricopaKid

MaricopaKid Member

Ed, of course you think like a moderator. I was thinking, "Where in the hell have all you guys been hiding?"

13. moe mensale

moe mensale Well-Known Member

If the signs are going on private property, why can't the owner just remove them? If someone sticks a "Hillary 2020" sign on my lawn, it isn't going to stay up too long.

14. OWM

OWM Well-Known Member

Why Not.

15. moe mensale

moe mensale Well-Known Member

Because I can always use more target backers. :lol:

16. OWM

OWM Well-Known Member

They do work well for that.

17. phantoms

phantoms Senior Mumbler

Effingham Co. Sheriff’s Office to round-up sex offenders on Halloween night

18. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

I am not up on current sex offender laws. Is this action by the Effingham County Sheriff authorized under current Georgia law?

UPDATE: Last year's news stories clarify that this is for those on probation/parole.

19. Clark

Clark Active Member

I know that they can be randomly searched, but randomly locked up in absence of even a suspected violation?

Regardless, this is going too far. True predators...well they don't even need to be among us, if they're that bad, keep them locked up. But why does the guy who sexted his GF in high school need to be kept away from kids? Why does the guy who peed at a tree in a park with no kids around need to be kept away from kids? Going to something more extreme, why does the guy who raped a drunk girl at a party need to be kept away from kids and not just any woman? Does child abuse put someone on the sex offender registry? If not, why not? After all, the sex offender registry is really just a "keep away from children" registry since the only places it keeps people away from are places that children are likely to be at.