Setting off store sensor?

Discussion in 'General GWL Questions' started by 70755, Oct 11, 2010.

1. 70755

70755 Guest

I am very new to actually trying CC. This past weekend while at Home Depot I did a self checkout of some light bulbs and a few other items. No issues. As I was walking out the door the shoplifting sensors you walk through set off for some reason. (no, I did not shoplift anything... :^) ) The attending cashier monitor waved me on no problem. But as this was my first time CCing a big box store like that, I was wondering was that related to my carrying, or just a coincidence?

2. hma153

hma153 Uninvited Guest

3. a_springfield

a_springfield Well-Known Member

check your cloths and shoes they probably have a sensor on them.

4. RedDawnTheMusical

RedDawnTheMusical Well-Known Member

Likely the self checkout simply missed one ofnthe tags. Whatever it was, it definitely wasn't your firearm.

5. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

The detectors are set off by an RFID tag that is attached to one of the items you purchased. It appears that you did not deactivate one of them when scanning them at the register.

6. 70755

70755 Guest

That is how I thought they worked (RFID or equivalent), but just wanted to make sure.

7. BirdMan

BirdMan Active Member

I've always suspected that the attendants at the door (e.g., at Wal-mart) can and do set off the alarm when they profile someone they want to look through someone's bag and check their receipt. I don't know if it happens or if I'm paranoid, but I'd be fascinated to know if it's true.

8. Fallschirmjäger

Fallschirmjäger I watch the watchers

I know that if you activate a tone tracer -
    [​IMG]

that it will set off the security sensors at Rich's/Macy's, etc.
    Funny to see people that suddenly break into a dead run as they walk through. :lol: :lol: :lol:

9. EmergencyNrse

EmergencyNrse Member

It is not up to the purchaser to deactivate the security tags.
    FYI- you have NO OBLIGATION to stop if the alarm sounds.

The cashier not deactivating the tag is not a problem of yours
    and they cannot detain you. They do and they are guilty of
    violating your civil rights.
    They need more probable cause than the alarms to hold you
    against your will.
    ... just keep on walking.

10. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Have you carefully researched Georgia law on this issue, or are you just giving an unsubstantiated opinion?

11. NTA

NTA Well-Known Member

12. Xiclotl

Xiclotl Active Member

As Bilbo, I mean Keepitreal fled, he heard Gollum cry, "Thief, thief, thief! Baggins! We hates it, we hates it, we hates it for ever!"

:lol:

13. RedDawnTheMusical

I see where their liabilities for false arrest/detainment are mitigated if they have probable cause to stop me as established by O.C.G.A. 51-7-60. However, I don't see what legal penalty I face for failing to yield to their arrest or detainment. My policy has always been not to stop, since I know I didn't do anything wrong. I consider it the responsibility of the store to ensure that their RFID or other theft deterrent systems are operating properly and not burden me with the inconvenience of validating these systems' operations.

14. ookoshi

ookoshi Moderator

It does mean they are justified in blocking your car in and preventing you from leaving though. If nothing else they could detain you long enough for the police to show up whether you consented or not.

15. AEKDB

AEKDB New Member

Are you sure?

16. RedDawnTheMusical

That'll be the day. I would like to see it though; I usually take up three or four spaces with my F350 extended bed, extended cab dually, just in case some parks close on one side and I have trouble getting out...

17. ookoshi

ookoshi Moderator

Based on what I've read in OCGA § 51-7-60 and Mitchell v. Walmart Stores, Inc., it sure seems like it. But I am not a lawyer, so keep that in mind.

They may not be successful, but it doesn't mean they can't try :).

18. Malum Prohibitum

What's "reasonable" if you decide to resist physically and try to leave?

19. Malum Prohibitum