September Shotgun Shoot

Discussion in 'GENERAL EVENTS' started by gunsmoker, Aug 23, 2019.

1. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

Does anyone want to get together at a shotgun range south of Dawsonville (about 40 miles due north of Atlanta) on dome Saturday in September and bust some clays?

I'm thinking of this place, which I've shot at once before, last fall.
    https://etowahvalleysportingclays.com/

The cost for a round of 25 thrown targets is $11.

this range is only for shooting clays with sporting shotguns using small bird shot or trap loads. No pistol grip shotguns allowed per the Board of Directors of this gun club. I assume they also frown on the open carry of handguns.

But, if you can live with their rules, this can be a lot of fun some morning in September when it's not so hot. The place opens at 8 AM and if we actually start shooting by nine the temperature is likely to only be in the high 60s or low 70s.

You do not need a special gun to shoot skeet ---a cylinder or improved cylinder bore shotgun will work fine. Especially for beginners. If your aim is a little bit off, then a wide pattern is desirable.

But they do rent shotguns there for $20; they have over-unders and they have a semiautomatics in 12 and 20 gauge. Up to two people can share the rental of one shotgun.

2. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

3. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

I will answer after my appointment with my surgeon on the 5th. I have been cleared for pistols and small caliber rifles. I have not asked about shotguns.

4. moe mensale

moe mensale Well-Known Member

https://etowahvalleysportingclays.com/rules-and-safety/
    Are they saying you're not allowed to have your handgun in your vehicle anywhere on their property or just at the shooting stations?

All my shotguns violate their rules and I don't own a fancy shoot'n shirt like the guy in the safety video. Y'all have fun though! :cheers:

5. RedDawnTheMusical

RedDawnTheMusical Well-Known Member

I've shot there several times. I suspect that they would object to someone open carrying a pistol, but they certainly don't screen anybody. You could easily carry concealed or have a pistol in your car.

As for shooting there, it is a lot of fun. I've shot sporting clays there and had a great time every time.

6. moe mensale

Their rule appears to be more inclusive.

Did you have a handgun in your vehicle or on you when you shot there?

7. RedDawnTheMusical

While not admitting to violating any specific private property/club rules at Etowah Valley, I can assure I carry everywhere.

8. gunsmoker

So the governing authority of this club seems like a bunch of Fudds who push Fuddism through their range rules.

Unless a bunch of gung-ho urban armchair commando types want to buy 50+ acres of land an hour north of Atlanta and get the appropriate licenses and zoning approvals to open their own shotgun range in the area...

... I say shooting sporting shotguns at Fuddland Range is better than not shooting at all, or shooting stationary paper targets at your local indoor gun range.

Adam5 likes this.
  9. moe mensale

Mr. Fudd's club. Mr. Fudd's rules. I don't have any problems with that. Trap shooting has never appealed to me. Others love it. That's not an issue.

But I do have an issue if their rules disallow me to have a handgun in my vehicle while it's on their property. That's what their rule seems to suggest. It's ambiguous. They want my money while at the same time I risk the potential of being trespassed? Am I supposed to just leave my handgun at home? Perhaps they should clarify what they mean.

Creekside, where I shoot, doesn't allow handguns on the range with the exception of the pistol range, of course. However, your carry gun can be left in your vehicle if you're not shooting it. It's clearly spelled out in the rules.

10. gunsmoker

I really don't think anybody at the club--- the management, the staff, or your other customers that you'll be shooting alongside --- care about what guns you keep in your vehicle.

They probably came up with that stupid rule to appease their insurance company rather than argue with them about it or shop around for a liability insurer that
    isn't run by busybody dickheads.

11. gunsmoker

If you allow people--from the general public who are not members of the gun club --to carry pistols at a shotgun range, I guarantee you at least once in a while some idiot would try to break a clay with a handgun bullet.

Here's an exhibition shooter doing it with a Browning Buck Mark .22 pistol. (Hey, I have one of those....)

12. kristensdaddy

kristensdaddy Member

Good grief, they're not Fudds, they run a shotgun range not a pistol range. I've shot at skeet, trap and sporting clubs all over the southeast and they all say no pistols. The reason is that the safety zone for a shotgun is much shorter than that of a handgun. They are trying to prevent some FOOL from shooting a handgun on a shotgun range where it is UNSAFE. They are not trying to infringe on your rights.

Separate paranoia from practicality.

hma153 and Adam5 like this.
  13. RedDawnTheMusical

Agreed. They and their insurance company just don't want someone doing something stupid. You could have a rocket launcher in your car and no one is going to car.
    Even then, good luck with it. Etowah valley has struggled with people that move into the area complaining to Dawson County officials about the noise and the County tried to terminate the lease on the land and was successful until reversed in the GA Court of Appeals, but I don't think that ended the litigation. The short of it is that the owners of Etowah have been dealing with litigation and complaints for years and somehow have hung in there. I gladly go there and support their operations with my $.

14. gunsmoker

So, who is interested in getting together there as a small group?

I hear one "maybe" so far.

15. moe mensale

In all honesty, probably not. But a rule shouldn't be ambiguous. Say what you mean.

Assuming that's the case here. Creekside doesn't seem to have an ambiguity or liability issue.

16. moe mensale

You're preaching to the choir. The question is where don't they want handguns? On the range itself (quite acceptable) or in your vehicle in the parking lot (not acceptable). It's not paranoia, it's ambiguity.

17. gunsmoker

I think they ARE Fudds, based on the "long barreled, conventionally-stocked sporting shotguns only" rule.

Nonetheless, I have such a gun and I will very much enjoy using it up there at Fuddland range!

18. Craftsman

Craftsman Well-Known Member

Definitely interested. Looks to be closer that the one on the opposite end of my own county. Plus I don't expect that one to survive the transition to city ownership.

19. Deepocean

Deepocean Member

Depends on the Saturday but I'm always up for busting some clays. Etowah's course is fairly challenging but a lot of fun. The folks there do a really good job.

20. gunsmoker

I wasn't thinking of running a whole sporting clays course --just one or two rounds of skeet. Not even 5-stand. You just stand in one place and the birds come out either from your left or right, at an unknown (until you see it) angle.