1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
68,893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.eastvalleytribune.com/story/89748

May 15, 2007
Senate president’s firearms decision puts lawmakers ahead of Capital workers

Tribune Editorial

Arizona Senate President Tim Bee, R-Tucson, has endorsed an unfair and discriminatory policy about the possession of guns within the Senate building that favors the Second Amendment rights of his colleagues but not the other people who work at their side every day.

There have been rumors for years at the state Capitol that some lawmakers carry concealed weapons into the hallways of the Senate and House despite policies that require everyone to surrender any guns at the front door unless they are active law enforcement officers. Those stories went unconfirmed, and in some cases were called outright lies, until last week when Sen. Karen Johnson, R-Mesa, told Capitol Media Services that she carries a .22 caliber revolver each day in her purse, which she leaves in her Senate office while she works in and around the Capitol.

Questioned about Johnson’s actions, Bee told Capitol Media Services said he believes lawmakers have been armed at least since 1994, when Arizona approved carrying concealed weapons with a special permit. But Bee essentially described legislative leaders as avoiding the question of whether lawmakers should comply with the rules, because no lawmakers had actually admitted to bringing their guns with them.

Now that someone has asked, and Johnson has told, Bee apparently has decided he will grant senators permission to carry weapons. As Capitol Media Services reported Saturday, state law gives operators of public buildings this option, as long as storage lockers are provided for those who are told they can’t carry a gun inside.

We can grasp the logic of forcing visitors to the House and Senate to temporarily give up their weapons. The Legislature has remained quite open to the public, despite its statewide prominence, but that probably would be impossible to maintain without a strict weapons policy.

But how can Bee justify allowing lawmakers to carry weapons for personal protection, but deny that right to its staff members who often work late-night hours and especially to its security guards, many of whom are retired police officers? Arizonans are supposed to be represented in the Legislature by fellow citizens, not a body of officials which can claim special privileges and treats unavailable to anyone else.

The House apparently understands this, as Speaker Jim Weiers intends to continue its long-standing policy of not providing his colleagues any general exception to its weapons ban, Capitol Media Services reported. We can debate whether that places House members at some higher risk while they are at work. But at least no one is suggesting these lawmakers are entitled to special gun rights denied to everyone else.
Advertise on this siteAds by Google
Tennessee Gun Laws
A handbook on Tennessee gun laws written by a Tennessee attorney
www.harrislawoffice.com

Firearm Safes
Top Quality Gun Safes In All Shapes & Types. No Tax - Free Shipping!
www.PatriotSafe.com

Rare Colored Diamonds
The Ultimate Security Blanket-Total Privacy With Double Digit Returns.
www.FancyColoredDiamonds.ca

CongressNow
Policy by Roll Call & GalleryWatch Sign up for a free trial.
www.congressnow.com

Reader comments (2)
This site does not necessarily agree with comments posted below. Responsibility lies solely with the comment author.

One
No weapons in the government buildings except for law enforcement officers on official duties. If a law enforcement officer is visiting a legislator, his/her weapons must be locked up. Only those patrolling the buildings should be authorized to carry weapons within the secured areas.

Rules should apply to all or none. The approval of weapons for the state senators is a slap on the face of everyone working in the building that is not a state senator. Suggest removal of this comment May 15, 2007
TeapotTempest
". . . especially to its security guards, many of whom are retired police officers. . . "

I guess this editorial writer is privy to the private employment records of the Legislature. I would be curious to know how many "many" is, and how do they know? Suggest removal of this comment May 15, 2007
Add your comment
Add your comments, but follow these guidelines:
Stay on topic.
No personal attacks, racial slurs or insults; no obscene, vulgar, lewd or threatening comments.
Do not mimic another’s identity.
Report abusive comments for review.
Name
Homepage
Comment

By submitting this form, you agree to this site's terms of service, including providing true information.

Ads by Google
Top Notch Gun Instruction
in a "no boot camp" setting on
www.FrontSight.com

Search Yellow Pages:

·
68,893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
http://ktar.com/?nid=6&sid=480461
Lawmakers Carry Concealed Weapons into State Senate

May 14th, 2007 @ 2:06pm by Doug Ramsey/KTAR
Lawmakers defend a policy that lets them carry guns into the state senate.
The sign out front says "no weapons allowed," but at least two state senators, both women, bring concealed guns with them to work every day.

"I do think there's a difference between people that work in a building day after day after day and just the general public that walks in and out," said State Senator Karen Johnson.

"I don't think it's a double standard at all," Johnson said. "I think there is a sign out on the front that says the public cannot carry into this building."

Johnson said she worries about safety, especially when leaving at night.

"It's quite a security thing," Johnson said. "I really encourage, especially women, to get a CCW permit because I think it's the best protection you can have."

Senate President Tim Bee said he has the authority under law to make the policy.

"We have had no instances with members, and I have no concerns about either of our senators that are currently carrying with their concealed carried weapons permits to be able to continue to do so," Bee said.

"When you're talking about the employees of a building and visitors of a building so there is a difference," Bee said.

"I have no intention of changing that policy. We've had no problem with it," Bee said. "Our members oftentimes stay here late at night. We have limited security here."

Several house members also have concealed weapons permits, but are not allowed to bring weapons into their building.

Over in the house, Speaker Jim Weiers doesn't allow weapons at all.

·
Romans 10:13
4,638 Posts
#-o

1 - 5 of 5 Posts