Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,261368,00.html

WASHINGTON â€" U.S. Capitol Police arrested a top aide to Sen. Jim Webb on Monday after he tried to enter the a Senate office building carrying a loaded pistol and two fully loaded magazines.

Phillip Thompson sent a bag through the X-ray machine at Russell Senate Office Building, where Webb's office is located. It detected the weapon and Capitol Police say they determined that Thompson didn't have a license to carry the gun in Washington, D.C. Thompson was arrested and charged with carrying a pistol without a license and possession of an unregistered firearm and unregistered ammunition.

"To our knowledge, this incident was an oversight by the senator’s aide. Phillip Thompson is a former Marine, a long-term friend and trusted employee of the senator. We are still awaiting facts," Webb Communications Director Jessica Smith said in a statement.

Thompson, a former military reporter based in Virginia, joined the senator's staff after Webb was elected to office in November. He travels frequently with the senator.

Handguns are illegal in Washington, D.C., but nearby Virginia allows residents to carry concealed handguns.

Webb told The Richmond Times Dispatch in December that he considers himself a "strong Second Amendment person" but said he does not carry a gun to work.

"I don't carry personally regularly. I shoot regularly. I like to have the option to carry, which is why I keep the permit," he said. "I value the opportunity to be able to protect myself, depending on situations. But no, I don't walk around with a weapon on me all of the time," he told the newspaper.

·
Registered
5,798 Posts
Handguns are illegal?

Didn't the DC appeals court just strike that down?

·
68,974 Posts
Rammstein said:
Handguns are illegal?

Didn't the DC appeals court just strike that down?
Only as it pertains to carry inside the home.

·
68,974 Posts
pro2am said:

WASHINGTON â€" U.S. Capitol Police arrested a top aide to Sen. Jim Webb on Monday after he tried to enter the a Senate office building carrying a loaded pistol and two fully loaded magazines.

Phillip Thompson sent a bag through the X-ray machine at Russell Senate Office Building, where Webb's office is located. It detected the weapon and Capitol Police say they determined that Thompson didn't have a license to carry the gun in Washington, D.C. Thompson was arrested and charged with carrying a pistol without a license and possession of an unregistered firearm and unregistered ammunition.
I bet that was a long and difficult determination. :roll:

·
68,974 Posts
pro2am said:

Webb told The Richmond Times Dispatch in December that he considers himself a "strong Second Amendment person" but said he does not carry a gun to work.
Well, seeing as how that would violate the law, that is a pretty smart answer, there, Senator.

·
Registered
5,798 Posts
Latest news is that the gun is Webb's. Webb was going to the airport and forgot he had it with him and passed it off to the aid. The aid "spaced" and brought it back with him.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Wouldn't the DC license be a moot point, since it is a federal building anyway?

·
Premium Member
8,460 Posts
lsu_nonleg said:
Wouldn't the DC license be a moot point, since it is a federal building anyway?
For the Capitol police, probably. However, since it had to be carried onto the property through DC, they could inform the locals of the infraction.

·
Registered
5,798 Posts
foshizzle said:
Now let's see what happens to him compared to if any of us had made the same "mistake" at the capitol building.
You don't have connections. He does. The only day he is going to spend in jail is tonight.

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Updated...

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,261583,00.html

Webb Denies He Gave Aide Gun That Led to Arrest

Tuesday, March 27, 2007
AP

Sen. Jim Webb, whose aide was arrested Monday for carrying a handgun into a Senate office building, gave the Democratic response to President Bush's State of the Union address in January.

WASHINGTON â€" Virginia Sen. Jim Webb said Tuesday he did not give to his aide the gun that led to the aide's arrest in a Senate office building. Webb did not say whether it was his gun.

Phillip Thompson is awaiting arraignment in D.C. Superior Court after being arrested Monday for trying to enter the Russell Senate Office Building, where Webb's office is located, carrying a loaded pistol and two fully loaded magazines.

The judge will determine whether Thompson, 45, will have to pay bail to get out of jail, and will set a date for a preliminary hearing. Thompson spent the night in a D.C. jail after U.S. Capitol Police determined Monday that he did not have a permit to carry a gun in Washington, D.C., where only law enforcement officials are allowed to carry handguns.

He is charged with carrying a pistol without a license and possession of an unregistered firearm and unregistered ammunition. According to the court docket, Monday was Thompson's birthday.

A senior Democratic aide said Monday evening that Thompson forgot that he had the weapon when he sent the senator's bag through the X-ray machine at the office building. The aide said Webb gave the bag that contained the gun to Thompson when the aide drove the senator to the airport.

Webb said he has been in New Orleans since Friday and returned Monday night. He denied that he gave the weapon to Thompson.

"We had three cars on Friday that were being moved about because of my trip, and that is probably a reason that this inadvertent situation developed. And that's really the extent to which I think I should be discussing. That's really all I can say," he said, adding that he couldn't talk about the case because of the legal proceedings and his desire not to prejudice the situation.

But Webb did shoot down rumors that he carries a gun in the Capitol complex.

"I believe that it's important â€" it's important for me, personally, and for a lot of people in the situation that I'm in, to be able to defend myself and my family," Webb said. "Since 9/11 for people who are in government I think in general there has been an agreement that it's a more dangerous time. Again, I'm not going to comment, again, with great specificity about how I defend myself, but I do feel that I have that right."

Thompson, a former military reporter based in Virginia, joined the senator's staff at the beginning of Webb's Senate campaign. Webb was elected to office in November. Thompson travels frequently with the senator.

Asked what support the senator was giving to his aide, Webb told FOX News, "We're doing all we can."

"I want to emphasize, first of all, that Phillip Thompson is a long-time friend. He's a fine individual. ... I have a tremendous amount of respect for him," Webb told reporters. "I think this is one of those very unfortunate situations where, completely inadvertently, he took the weapon into the Senate yesterday."

Handguns are illegal in Washington, D.C., but nearby Virginia allows residents to carry concealed handguns. Capitol Police rules allow members and their employees to bring a weapon onto Capitol grounds if it is unloaded and securely wrapped. In this case, it was allegedly neither.

Webb said he is a big supporter of the constitutional right to bear arms and thinks Virginia's concealed handgun law is a "fair law."

"Everyone here knows that I am a strong supporter of the Second Amendment, that I have had a permit to carry a weapon in Virginia for a long time," he said.

·
68,974 Posts
Re: Updated...

foxnews said:
Capitol Police rules allow members and their employees to bring a weapon onto Capitol grounds if it is unloaded and securely wrapped.
Really? Why?

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Re: Updated...

Malum Prohibitum said:
foxnews said:
Capitol Police rules allow members and their employees to bring a weapon onto Capitol grounds if it is unloaded and securely wrapped.
Really? Why?
Hmmm. Very interesting, since there is no way to get to Capitol grounds without committing a felony. Do they parachute in and land on top of the dome so they don't violate D.C.s LAW AGAINST PISTOLS?, or maybe they use a transporter like on Star Trek. :x

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I know this is getting to be old news, but I thought the commentary was good on this one.

From OpinionJournal.com

...Webb, who describes himself as a Second Amendment advocate, has a concealed weapon permit in Virginia, but that's no good in the District of Columbia, whose antigun laws are among the nation's most restrictive. Apparently, though, Webb is permitted to have a gun at the Capitol, under certain circumstances:

Any senator who has a gun permit and wants to bring a gun onto congressional property must unload the gun and make sure it is "securely wrapped," [Sgt. Kimberly] Schneider said. In this case, the problem was that the gun was loaded and that Thompson was not registered to have it, she said.
To which Taranto commented:

So members of Congress are allowed to carry guns on Capitol Hill whereas law-abiding citizens are not? Wasn't Newt Gingrich supposed to have made congressmen live by the same rules as the rest of us?

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
He is charged with carrying a pistol without a license and possession of an unregistered firearm and unregistered ammunition
Unregistered ammunition :shock: :?:

How do you register ammo, I have never seen any type of serial number on mine :wink:

·
Registered
5,798 Posts
Tinkerhell said:
Just wait, there's going to be RFID tags in the head of each round soon....
And when that happens I'll have my big strong magnet handy.

·
68,974 Posts
When an aide to Sen. James Webb, D-Va., was arrested in the Capitol for possession of his boss' loaded handgun and two extra clips, it wasn't the first time a Democratic senator found himself caught violating the anti-gun laws of the District of Columbia.

There's an amazing story about Sen. Ted Kennedy in a similar predicament two decades ago.

Yes, that Ted Kennedy â€" the one who has sponsored laws to take guns out of the hands of ordinary citizens but thinks . . .
This story involves submachine guns.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts