Semi-auto myths of the layperson

Discussion in 'Firearm Related' started by Mrs_Esterhouse, Jun 17, 2016.

1. Mrs_Esterhouse

Mrs_Esterhouse Swollen Member

I've been asking a lot of gun laypersons about what their thoughts and perceptions of the AR15 are. By far the most prevalent myth is the belief AR15s are full-auto like a Tommy gun. Two people said they thought ARs weren't full-auto but were capable of 3-shot bursts.

I've been very effective at combating this myth by explaining AR15s shoot at the same speed as a standard Glock handgun—no faster, no slower.

I explain 3-shot and full-auto have been outlawed since Regan's 1986 ban, and they are surprised to hear that. I've asked why they thought AR15s were full auto or 3-shot burst capable. The most common response was they heard the term semi-auto and thought since it had the word 'auto' in it that meant automatic like a Tommy gun or 3-shot burst gun.

If you have some, post your accounts/interactions here so we can compare our findings. I'm guessing yours will be very similar to mine. Remember, gun laypersons, not gun owners. These people seem to get almost all of their gun information from media outlets and are generally very misinformed.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2016
  2. Mrs_Esterhouse

I think the goal by those wanting to implement another AWB is to market to the public that full-auto is still legal and a new AWB will put an end to full-auto guns once and for all. The reality is they will be banning semi-autos, and most of the public does not understand the difference.

Even explaining that semi-auto is one shot per pull of the trigger doesn't seem to click with people. I think we gun owners wrongly think they understand that. It only seems to make sense when you say: just like a Glock handgun. I think their minds are trying to visualize what one-pull-one-shot means, and it gets foggy for some reason.

3. AzB

AzB Well-Known Member

As the owner of full auto weapons, I'm pretty surprised to hear that I'm an outlaw.

Az

4. Mrs_Esterhouse

Yours are post '86?

5. AzB

AzB Well-Known Member

No, I understand the law. I was poking fun.

Az

6. CoffeeMate

CoffeeMate Junior Butt Warmer

"...it fires only as quickly as you can pull the trigger..." registers as "...the sooner you can pull the trigger the sooner it starts spraying a wall of bullets..."

(As in it won't start firing until you pull the trigger unless it is broken in which case it will start firing all on its own)

Another one... "...the difference between full auto and semi auto is one aims itself..."

7. CoffeeMate

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rGpykAX1fo[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRQqieimwLQ[/ame]

8. CoffeeMate

You see, those heat seeking bullets are why you have to bring some cold beer. It's for thermal camouflage, otherwise the bullet will circle back like a Road Runner cartoon.

9. moe mensale

moe mensale Well-Known Member

Are Ms. McCarthy and Ms. Edington having a runoff for "Stupidest Anti-Gun Person" of the year?

10. moe mensale

moe mensale Well-Known Member

Myth - The AR in AR15 stands for Assault Rifle. :righton: