Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there...

I am selling a vehicle. (Posted in classifieds on the GPO forum)

Looking for some advice, as I have never sold a vehicle (other than to a dealer) before.

If any of you buy and sell used cars and have been through the process, I would really appreciate your response.

Obviously, I will meet in a public place and not at my home.

A few questions I have are:

1) What type of payment should I take? I will ask for cash of course, but should I accept a Cashiers Check or Money Order? I have heard about scams on that.

2) When the prospective buyer wants to test drive, do I ride with them? Hold on to their license? Not sure the process here.

3) What kind of bill of sale do I use? Do I put on the bill, "As is - No Warranty - No Returns"

4) What if buyer wants to take to a mechanic? Do I ride with them? I just don't want anyone running off with my car.

5) Should I have someone with me when meeting with the buyer?

Anything else I need to know?

Thanks so much in advance for your feedback!

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
My .02, or how I'd deal with it.

1. Cash, or if they want to pay with a cashiers check, go to the bank with the buyer and watch the check be cleared by your bank.

2. Definitely go with them, unless you have some other reason to trust them (friend, etc).

3. Yes, bill of sale with "as is, no warranty" language will be fine.

4. Offer to take the car to a mechanic of your own, or drive the vehicle yourself to the mechanic the buyer would like to look over the car.

5. Depends on how safe you feel about the situation, imo. On the one hand, safety in numbers, on the other hand, no need to bring another "victim" with you.... If you yourself are armed, I'd say no need to bring another person.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
I've sold a few cars around Atlanta. First, don't assume everyone is a thief. 90% of the people I've ever had test drive were women looking for cars for their kids. Just something about used goes hand in hand.

Sounds like you know the answer to most of your questions already. A bank check has always been fine with me. If you have a concern about it, meet for delivery at the bank cutting the check and get your cash directly from them. No scam check there.

I always talk on the phone and I ask lots of questions about who will be driving it and what other cars they have looked at. Just be real personable. It sets the buyer at ease and at the same time helps weed out if it is a BS contact or not.

I always ride on yet drives with them so I can answer questions about the car. If they do a test drive and like it, then I will let them take the car to a mechanic with 2 conditions. I take a photo of their license with my camera phone and that I hold the keys to the car they drove while they are gone.

Always do a BoS, always say it's sold as is and that they accept full responsibility for everything from the sale forward.

Hope that helps. Everyone I've ever had the pleasure of meeting while selling cars and bikes were great people. Just be smart, know that they don't want to be ripped off just as bad as you don't want to be ripped off, and be honest and open about everything. Everyone will walk away happy.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts