Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
A Typical Cat
1,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So anyone here ever sell a firearm on consignment or any dealers on the site that could speak to this? My question is what is considered a reasonable fee to the shop? 50 bucks? Say the shop sells the item for as much as they can, give me what I was asking for and pocket the difference? I figured 50 bucks was more than reasonable to kick back for the item. I would like to see it sell for 450 and 50 back to the shop. The shop says they sell guns at 50 bucks profit all day long and that it is not too attractive to them for just the 50. I am of course skeptical of that statement. After all was said and done I think they may try and sell the item for as much as they can and pocket the difference of the 400 I asked to have back from them. Does that sound like standard practice? It does not seem quite kosher to me if they sell it for more than 450 and keep anything above 400. But what do I know? Please edumacate me if ya can.

·
Super Moderator
7,120 Posts
I haven't sold a gun on consignment since I've been in Georgia, but the shop I used to work in back in WI took 15% off the top. That was many, many moons ago though.

·
A Typical Cat
1,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
A Typical Cat
1,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Adam5 said:
Most dealers that sell on consignment get between 15% and 25% of the selling price.
Thanks Adam5, makes me feel more than ok with the 11% I offered then. Still that sounds more than fair and I feel that has to be at least right around if not more than the profit they are making off selling their own firearms. If a shop is making 15-25% profit all day on firearms then I need to open a shop quick like. :)

·
Super Moderator
7,120 Posts
futureusr said:
If a shop is making 15-25% profit all day on firearms then I need to open a shop quick like. :)
While that might sound like a lot, it's really not.

When you figure out what it costs to run a brick and mortar store, pay employees, stock items, you need to sell an awful lot of guns to turn a profit. The money is in the accessories and the ranges. Then with the range you need to calculate the enormous cost of insurance.

·
I'm kind of a big deal
5,243 Posts
Archangel said:
futureusr said:
If a shop is making 15-25% profit all day on firearms then I need to open a shop quick like. :)
While that might sound like a lot, it's really not.

When you figure out what it costs to run a brick and mortar store, pay employees, stock items, you need to sell an awful lot of guns to turn a profit. The money is in the accessories and the ranges. Then with the range you need to calculate the enormous cost of insurance.
:exactly:

·
A Typical Cat
1,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Registered
541 Posts
Good luck with the sale, whatever route you choose. Hope you are pgrading or some such, not leaving yourself disarmed.

Outdoor Trader does not have a minimum posting requirement as this site does. (Both sites are great places) That forum is just a sales forum, not intended to provide any information. Still think you could sell it yourself and save paying the commission. Put that money into your pocket

If you want to send me the information on what you have to sell and asking price, I can shop it around a few places tosee if there is interest.

·
Registered
757 Posts
i have tried to do consignment before at dixie ammo dump. the guns never sold but if i remember correctly the dealer only wanted $25 if it sold. I thought that was pretty good.

·
A Typical Cat
1,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That is mighty friendly of ya trucklvr. Thanks! I will PM you the details as I figure responding with it here would violate the spirit of the minimum posting rules for the classifieds forum.

No worries, I am still aptly armed with a Sig P226R for open carry and my Sig P239 for concealed.

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
futureusr said:
That is mighty friendly of ya trucklvr. Thanks! I will PM you the details as I figure responding with it here would violate the spirit of the minimum posting rules for the classifieds forum.

No worries, I am still aptly armed with a Sig P226R for open carry and my Sig P239 for concealed.
You can do it yourself now! shows you have 58 post currently!

2.1 - Minimum Requirement for Buyers/Sellers/Traders: Before being allowed to originate an advertisement or buy/sell/trade topic on the forum, Buyer/Seller/Trader must have at least 50 quality posts (quality means constructive posts, not posts which have only a simple emoticon, "+1" or other easy to post responses) OR been a member for 3 months. If you do not meet either requirement, the topic will deleted and you will be notified. If your post count is found to be made up of non-quality posts, the 3 month minimum will be imposed.

·
Clueless
3,707 Posts
Something to keep in mind while selling consignment. When I put a gun of mine up for consignment. I was told that if someone were to put it on layaway(if your store offers it) that the gun would be tied up in the layaway until the person pays in full or goes over the 90 days.

The store I went to asked what you would take for the gun and then added 10% to the price.

·
Seasteading Aficionado
44,896 Posts
futureusr said:
Thanks trucklvr but apparently I am not yet welcome to sell anything on GPDO :(
Sure you are, you have the applicable amount of posts to be able to buy and sell here. Go ahead, go for it. I promise you it will be a good experience here.

We've got a bunch of good people on this website.

·
A Typical Cat
1,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
EJR914 said:
futureusr said:
Thanks trucklvr but apparently I am not yet welcome to sell anything on GPDO :(
Sure you are, you have the applicable amount of posts to be able to buy and sell here. Go ahead, go for it. I promise you it will be a good experience here.

We've got a bunch of good people on this website.
Thanks all! I made the unwelcome comment when I first posted the firearm in the forum classifieds and was quickly trounced on for my error. I now qualify but already have the firearm sold.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts