Selling a car without current tag or insurance.

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by carnut, Sep 4, 2018.

1. carnut

carnut Member

I have a car that's been garaged a year, no insurance or current tag. It it possible to for a buyer to legally test drive it and/or take it somewhere for a mechanical inspection. I know I'd never buy something I can't test drive..
    edit.. It's in GA.

2. Wegahe

Wegahe NRA Instructor

It's possible for a buyer to test drive it but not legally. It's illegal to put a vehicle on the streets without a valid registration and/or insurance. Depending on the age the vehicle can't be transferred without current emissions either. It can be taken for mechanical and/or emissions inspection via wrecker service or on a tow dolly that can be rented at U-Haul. Even driving it in a parking lot without insurance is risky as anything can happen. Murphy's Law states that if it can go wrong it will.

3. Scout706

Scout706 Well-Known Member

FTFY

Not so fun fact: IF the buyer is required to have emissions certification, the SELLER is responsible for any required repairs. Please don't argue, just go to any shop and read the Federal poster they have about this. When I sold the wife's car, I had an emissions test done though it is not required in my county. A selling point.

4. John )

John ) Member

There is NO law saying the seller is required to make repairs. The law is. If a vehicle is sold in a county that requires Ga. State Emissions to a buyer living in a county requiring emissions. The seller must show the vehicle has passed a Georgia emissions inspection within the last year. You can be fined for braking the law but there is no requirement to fix the vehicle. Fine is only a few dollars for the 1st offense and increases every offense after.

5. John )

John ) Member

Some counties will give you a temporary drive tag to get repairs or to get an inspection. But it is at their discretion. YOU MUST HAVE INSURANCE ! Your insurance agent may work with you. Get a binder in your hand before anyone drives the vehicle.

6. Scout706

Scout706 Well-Known Member

I was wrong.

from the website http://www.cleanairforce.com/motorists/frequently-asked-questions/

"If you buy a used vehicle that will be registered in a covered county,* sellers located within the 13-county testing area must ensure the vehicle has a passing Georgia vehicle emissions inspection at the time of sale. A Georgia Vehicle Emission Inspection Report (VIR) can be used for the initial registration and one registration renewal if still valid.

*Cherokee, Clayton, Cobb, Coweta, DeKalb, Douglas, Fayette, Forsyth, Fulton, Gwinnett, Henry, Paulding and Rockdale.

Sellers are not required to provide the buyer with a hard copy of the VIR. The VIR will be on record electronically at the tag office. Buyers can view a summary of the VIR online.

To file a complaint against a seller (located within the 13-county testing area) for failing to have a passing emissions test at the time of sale, go to the Forms and Applications section and complete the Used Vehicle Sale Complaint Form. . ."

Maybe they changed it since 2012. Apologies.

7. carnut

carnut Member

Thanks for all the replies, not exactly what I'd like to hear, but that's what it is.. The car is 24 years old, in showroom condition and always garaged. Due to it's, and my age (and low annual mileage) it has been emission exempt for quite a few years. I think I'll keep it covered up a few more months. On it's 25 birthday (2019) it becomes exempt from emission testing, I'll get it back on the road and then address selling it.

8. atlsrt44

atlsrt44 Well-Known Member

I would put insurance on it before letting anyone test drive it. Liability at least to protect you.

9. kristensdaddy

kristensdaddy Member

8 posts and no one asks what model of car it is?

GoDores likes this.
  10. Wegahe

Wegahe NRA Instructor

Because it doesn't really matter...

11. GoDores

GoDores Like a Boss

I too would like to know what the low mileage, showroom condition 1994 model car is.

Scout706 likes this.
  12. carnut

carnut Member

I left this part out since it's only of interest to a few auto buffs.. But since you asked....
    It's a 1994 Camaro Z28, Purchased used in 1998 with 46K miles, currently 76K miles on the body (a lot less mileage on parts of the power train). Body and interior are like new condition. And from the outside it looks completely stock except for the 12 inch wide tires on the rear and quad exhaust tips. Underneath the stock exterior, the engine, transmission, rear end and exhaust are highly modified and the PCM is custom tuned. I also installed a (Firebird Trans Am) performance button that alters shift points and tranny pressure when needed. Plus a USB cable wired to connect to a laptop with software for monitoring sensors, actuators and also used to alter the tune. You can see why emission inspection gets tricky on this one. It's technically an off road vehicle due to the modifications. I also have a bench top PCM test cable w/power supply I built, so you can design test tunes on the spare PCM and then swap it into the car. This may have something to do with my forum ID.

13. kristensdaddy

kristensdaddy Member

Thanks for answering the obvious question some of us had. (1968 Chevelle owner here)

Seems that the emissions issue goes away if the vehicle is sold outside of metro Atlanta. Out where I live in Morgan county, visible smoke from the exhaust is a way of life.....

14. GoDores

GoDores Like a Boss

:righton:

I agree you're better off waiting until next year when you're emissions exempt to sell. I assume blue book is probably about equal to the scrap value of the metal, so you have to find the right buyer to sell it for the real value, and you eliminate too many potential buyers by not being able to sell in the metro Atlanta counties. A newer car could be towed to and from an emissions place, but a '94 should be OBD1 and those need to be driven enough to get the cats hot before they can pass.