Self Defense Laws?

Discussion in 'GA Laws and Politics' started by thebugman, Jan 5, 2006.

1. thebugman

thebugman New Member

Does Georgia have anything like this?

I was hoping some of you legal types would be familiar enough with the Codes to know.

2. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

3. jrm

jrm Sledgehammer

Nor I either. But, I must say I like the idea. The costs of defending oneself against a murder charge could be crippling. Not to mention the fact that it is highly likely that a murder defendant would lose his or her job (due to pre-trial incarceration, even if not for the stigma of being a "murderer.") District attorneys tend to be cavalier about charging, probably on the theory that most people have some level of culpability and will accept a plea bargain. This system is harsh, however, on the actually innocent.

4. Guest

Guest Guest

State Law

Hey Guys,

This is my first post. I'm new to handguns. In fact, I just applied for a conceiled weapons permit today in Dekalb County. I understand I'll receive my license in six months. Tucker Gun referred me to your site. VERY INFORMATIVE! Thanks for taking the time.

My questions are: What constitutes 'self defense' and when can lethal force legally be used? Is their a specfic link to Georgia's definition? After hours of research, I know where I can and can't carry my handgun, I just don't know WHEN I can use it to protect myself or protect others in life threatening danger. Kind Regards.

5. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

6. Guest

Guest Guest

Thanks! I'll take a look. regards..

7. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

You might also want to look in the Current Bills section for two current proposals in the General Assembly to change those Code sections.

:wink: