Self Defense for Pistol Defense

Discussion in 'Training' started by Ga_Regul8r, Aug 28, 2010.

1. Ga_Regul8r

Ga_Regul8r Member

I ran across a man from VA that was into one of those types of self defense (Judo I think), and he was also a handgun carrier. I asked him which discipline would be best suited for preventing someone from taking a pistol off your side. I think he recommended akido, but I'm not sure. Does anyone out there have any recommendations or suggestions? I know a good retention holster is step one, but since this is the training section, I thought I'd keep the conversation geared towards that rather than hardware. Thanks for your help.

2. Ga_Regul8r

Ga_Regul8r Member

I ran across a man from VA that was into one of those types of self defense (Judo I think), and he was also a handgun carrier. I asked him which discipline would be best suited for preventing someone from taking a pistol off your side. I think he recommended akido, but I'm not sure. Does anyone out there have any recommendations or suggestions? I know a good retention holster is step one, but since this is the training section, I thought I'd keep the conversation geared towards that rather than hardware. Thanks for your help.

3. samman23

samman23 New Member

I've heard it said that there are not superior martial arts but there are superior martial artists.

that said I heard that Krav Maga has a curriculum that deals with weapons.

4. samman23

samman23 New Member

I've heard it said that there are not superior martial arts but there are superior martial artists.

that said I heard that Krav Maga has a curriculum that deals with weapons.

5. CountryGun

CountryGun New Member

A good elbow to the kisser, in whatever discipline you choose, is still the best first strike. I prefer "back alley"!

I do not use retention holsters, except for maybe an occasional thumb break. I have a custom made leather holster that I dare anyone to draw from but me. I can't shake the pistol out of it, and the angle of draw has to be perfect, or it's not coming out. (KesterFarms.com)

6. CountryGun

CountryGun New Member

A good elbow to the kisser, in whatever discipline you choose, is still the best first strike. I prefer "back alley"!

I do not use retention holsters, except for maybe an occasional thumb break. I have a custom made leather holster that I dare anyone to draw from but me. I can't shake the pistol out of it, and the angle of draw has to be perfect, or it's not coming out. (KesterFarms.com)

7. Ga_Regul8r

Ga_Regul8r Member

KM looks more like it's geared toward offenders with guns rather than defending your own. Granted, it will help get it back if it's used against you, if it's not too late.

8. Ga_Regul8r

Ga_Regul8r Member

KM looks more like it's geared toward offenders with guns rather than defending your own. Granted, it will help get it back if it's used against you, if it's not too late.

9. mpc

mpc New Member

While there may be techniques is any flavor of martial arts, Aikido wouldn't be the system I'd pick, though in principle, it might have an ever so slight advantage over judo (for this application - for actual fighting, give me judo any day). Judo/jujutsu is a lot of grappling and in close fighting. Not where you want to be to prevent this type of thing. You want to keep distance between your firearm and your opponent. Any type of kick boxing or even regular boxing would be a better choice. With distance you have the option of actually drawing your firearm, fleeing or classic fisticuffs.

10. mpc

mpc New Member

While there may be techniques is any flavor of martial arts, Aikido wouldn't be the system I'd pick, though in principle, it might have an ever so slight advantage over judo (for this application - for actual fighting, give me judo any day). Judo/jujutsu is a lot of grappling and in close fighting. Not where you want to be to prevent this type of thing. You want to keep distance between your firearm and your opponent. Any type of kick boxing or even regular boxing would be a better choice. With distance you have the option of actually drawing your firearm, fleeing or classic fisticuffs.

11. Phil1979

Phil1979 Member Georgia Carry

If they do get a grip on your gun, you'll want to get a hand on there too, to keep them from drawing it.

Wrist and grip strength are critical in a gun retainment situation like that. Check out this page for strength training products. No, I'm not affiliated with them in any way.

http://ironmind-store.com/Crushed-to-Du ... rtments/7/

12. Phil1979

Phil1979 Member Georgia Carry

If they do get a grip on your gun, you'll want to get a hand on there too, to keep them from drawing it.

Wrist and grip strength are critical in a gun retainment situation like that. Check out this page for strength training products. No, I'm not affiliated with them in any way.

http://ironmind-store.com/Crushed-to-Du ... rtments/7/

13. pyromaster

pyromaster Member

Most advanced firearms classes will go over this and do a few drills on weapon retention.

14. pyromaster

pyromaster Member

Most advanced firearms classes will go over this and do a few drills on weapon retention.

15. guitarded_1

guitarded_1 New Member

Though it's not usually taught to civilians, KM has a fantastic LE curriculum that focuses thoroughly on weapons retention.

16. Deek

Deek Active Member

Fight dirty man. Punch throats, kick jewels, gouge eyes, front stomp knees... whatever hurts the most the quickest.

There is no duty of honor or whatever in fighting off someone who is trying to steal your firearm.

17. Scott 40s&w

Scott 40s&w Member

That is why you carry a knife. Slice the wrist, forearm, throat /face.
    Make them bleed any way possible.

18. samman23

samman23 New Member

Scott, you had that gun rassling class that I wish I had attended. Did yall cover any gun retention or mainly gun disarms?

19. BigBangThry

BigBangThry New Member

Krav Magra is a great choice. i can recommend a place in atlanta if interested..teaches classes based on type of weapon (knife, gun, sword) encounter and situation (1-10 people trying to attack you)

20. Scott 40s&w

Scott 40s&w Member

Yes we did cover a couple of options for gun retentention both in the holster and out of the holster. The method depends on where the attack comes from. The first drill involved a holstered gun where you trap the gun in the holster and use your entire core to defeat the grip he has on your gun. Not really a strike method but leverage based.