Self-Defense Ammunition

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by ptsmith24, Oct 14, 2007.

1. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

2. Jmark

Jmark Active Member

10 Gauge

Yow. Load your 10 gauge with whatever the hell you want.

:lol:

3. merlock

merlock Active Member

Interesting read.

4. viper32cm

viper32cm New Member

I found this article early last year and it helped me determine what loadings I wanted to get for the set of defensive pistols I later bought that summer. I don't think the article has been updated sense then, but not that all that much has changed.

I'm not sure if I agree with his statement that birdshot is good enough for home defense. Birdshot is for the birds in my mind.

http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot22.htm

5. Thorsen

Thorsen New Member

Birdshot is most definitely not good enough for home defense. For him to make that claim, I would have to take pretty much everything else he says with one hell of a large grain of salt.

6. budder

budder Moderator Staff Member

Thorsen, you clearly did not read the article. After a few paragraphs, you'll realize that he's talking out of his ass.

7. viper32cm

viper32cm New Member

While it's not the pinnacle of gun scholarship not everything in there is worthless.

Anyway it seems that there is curious lack of recognition for the gold dot, XTP/TAP, and the Winchester Ranger.

The guy seems to really like Cor-bon loads, which I can't fault him for. And his statement about 125 grain .357 being pretty much the "it" when it comes to stopping power is, from what I understand, an item of absolute truth.

So like I said, not all bad.

8. moga

moga New Member

I've read the article before, but after reading your recollection of what he wrote, I had to go back and check, because I recall reading the opposite message.

Sure enough, he says that "As we have shown time and time again, birdshot is for little birds, not for bad guys. It makes a nasty, shallow wound, but is not a good stopper."

Then, he admonishes "Never use birdshot against goblins. Use plated 00 Buckshot."

I'm unsure of how you got the impression that he advocated bird shot for HD?

9. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Birdshot is ok if you are really, really close. I have seen an entire cranium evacuated as a result of birdshot. In addition to that, it was fatal. :lol:

10. budder

budder Moderator Staff Member

moga, he's talking about the first article. The guy recommends birdshot for HD, or for any distances <20-30 feet.

viper, while not everything is worthless, there is so much bad or mis- information there that the article is not worth reading.

11. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

It's an opinion. Who says you have to agree?

12. MrMorden

MrMorden New Member

Agreed...when I was a cop our standard shotgun load was #4 buckshot, which is pretty small compared to 00.

13. Breadfan63

Breadfan63 New Member

I tend to put less stock in what people say when they state their opinion as fact ie. X grain load by Y brand is THE BEST load for this caliber. If he actually had proof that he tested EVERY SINGLE load available, then maybe he could say that. As far as stopping power goes (which I think is ridiculous because I'm not sure how you quantify stopping power) has he shot someone with each of these loads? I read somewhere that most fatal shootings are with .32 caliber and smaller (I have nothing to back that up and I dont remember where I saw it...just one of those things that stuck with me).....I have no reason not to believe it, since small guns are the ones that get carried the most. But, like anything else out there....if it's on the net..IT HAS to be true. :D

There's some good info in there though. He obviously knows more about ballistics than I do.. My advice to everyone..... If the threat isn't neutralized with one shot then KEEP SHOOTING! :D[/b]

14. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

This one was not my opinion.

15. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

How is it stating opinion as fact? It should automatically be taken as opinion. It shouldn't have to say "In my opinion...". That should be implied.

16. Breadfan63

Breadfan63 New Member

Just an example. Sometimes companies grease the palms of reviewers to sway their opinion.

I do automatically assume any article about firearms or guitars (two of my hobbies) is all opinion; however, inexperienced shooters may not know any better. That's all.

17. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

Well, at least it would give beginners a starting point. If their gun doesn't like it, then they'll join GPDO to ask about it and then join GCO.

18. Breadfan63

Breadfan63 New Member

Agreed. The guy knows his stuff....I just like proof when people put information out there like that. Just me being a PITA as usual. :D

19. boom boom

boom boom Guest