Secessionists meeting in Tennessee; Chattanooga

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by adcurt, Oct 3, 2007.

1. adcurt

adcurt New Member

Personally I think secession is a really bad idea for a state. As a member of the Republic you are supported and strong. Alone, you would probably become a 3rd world country in about 10 years. What will Vermont trade for fuel? Maple syrup?

Best line from the story reveals the near-sightedness of some people:
    '"What is remarkable and really astounding about this situation is we see people and institutions who are supposedly on the progressive left rubbing shoulders with bona fide white supremacists," Potok said.'

Am I the only person in the room who realizes that the Far-Left is quite possibly the most racist group on the planet?

2. VolGrad

VolGrad Tactical Statistician

I didn't know there was such a thing.

3. adcurt

adcurt New Member

Well, no - you see there are "bona fide" white supremacists, and then there are the un-certified ones. If you're "bona fide" then you have an official stamp on your White Power card.

Of course, there's also a less active category, the "weekend" white supremacists. Those guys just don't have their hearts into it...

4. goldshellback

goldshellback New Member

adcurt wrote: "Am I the only person in the room who realizes that the Far-Left is quite possibly the most racist group on the planet?"

I never did NOT believe that, but you voicing it and reading the article certinaly puts it in your face......ya just haveta read between the sheets

5. JiG

JiG Awaiting censure

They want to secede from the US and join Canada.

Upon making up the USA, it was known that if a state didn't like it's decision to be in the union, it was free to leave....

Then came Dishonest Abe. (If you think Abe was one of the greatest presidents... you obviously went to a government school)

6. tace

tace New Member

Actually, I would welcome TN leaving the US. Can we then deport some ppl there who were originally born in TN but are polluting the air of other states now?

/ don't ask, this is a story for when I have a beer in hand.

7. USMC - Retired

USMC - Retired Active Member

Come on now! VOLGRAD's not THAT bad....

8. VolGrad

That's what I was thinking. You can't make that kind of blanket statement without providing some justification. If you wanna say, just say it. LOL.

9. adcurt

adcurt New Member

Well there's no question there. Theoretically they can do what they want. I just think that they benefit more by being a part of the Union than by standing alone... no matter how much they dislike Dub'ya...

Lincoln was an ass-hat... I would miss TN though. I just love, love those hillbillies...

10. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

That's incorrect.

Putting aside the precedent that the civil war gave us regarding states seceding...

The US Constitution was a compact ratified by the People in their respective states. So, to dissolve the original compact all parties involved [arguably all fifty states now; at the very least the original thirteen colonies] must agree to let that state free of the compact. A state cannot just up an leave.

11. VolGrad

Do I hear banjos?

I always think it is funny to hear folks from one southern state making fun of folks from another southern state, like there is any difference between the two. I am not picking on you adcurt, I don't even know where you are from. I just think the whole concept is funny, in general.

:rotfl2:

Even better when @$$holes from "up North" move "down here" and make fun of us. To them I say, "You sir, are free to leave. You were not invited and are not being held against your will. Now let me be so kind as to help you pack."

12. adcurt

adcurt New Member

Oh, I'm just ribbing you, too. :) ...Given the choice, I'll stand with a TN hillbilly against a Carpetbagger. Any time. Any day.

Just not so close I can still smell the 'coon stink. But I'll definitely be there... with the windows rolled up and, like, honking the horn and stuff... totally supporting you...

13. VolGrad

:rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2:

Thanks for the support.

14. Thorsen

Thorsen New Member

Ramm beat me to it, but if you think that the states are free to secede if they desire then you are the one who might need to refresh yourself on history.

Abe Lincoln was correct in fighting to keep the union and I am glad that the north won the war .... for many reasons. A southern victory would have been disasterous for the world as a whole and especially so for the country that we have become.

As to what I think of Abe as a president, I think even a casual reading of his life history both prior to and after becoming president would lead most people to attach the qualifier "honest" to his name. He was a great man before he ever became a great president and I agree with most historians who rank him as the second greatest president the US has ever had (I would put Washington as first and my favorite twentieth century president, Theodore Roosevelt, as third).

15. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

+1 Thorsen

Additionally, anyone who actually defends the south being able to secede must at some point defend the right of southerners to own and subjugate other human beings. The issue of slavery can never be divorced from the reasons why the south tried to take their toys and go home. Anyone who does not believe that...I have a great speech for you to read.

16. viper32cm

viper32cm New Member

LOL, the really ironic thing about this entire article is that VT has better carry laws than TN.

Anyway, these guys in the article almost get the concept of Federalism. State's should have WAY more rights than they do today. Unfortunately, they seem to have misapplied their anger.

And don't think just because the Souther Poverty Law Center says that a group is racist, that group is racist. Racist is probably 2nd only to fascist as a weasel word to describe somebody certain groups don't like.

People should be fighting for more states rights period, end of story. None of the presidential candidates except for some of the Republicans really understand that concept.

17. adcurt

adcurt New Member

Yes. That's exactly what I thought when I read the article. They have a 'take my toys and go' mentality instead of working for change. It's immature of them in my opinion and not really a good plan for success, long term.

18. JiG

JiG Awaiting censure

I'll get this one first then head back to the other one.

Give me that great speech. The south did NOT secede over slavery. That's a myth. Slavery wasn't brought into the equation until well into the war. There were many southerners who didn't want slavery either. Robert E. Lee is one of them.

Second, why did we have to fight to end slavery when worldwide, slavery was ending without conflict?

19. JiG

JiG Awaiting censure

All of the founding documents-the articles of confederation, declaration of independence, the treaty with great britain, and the Constitution, refer to the states as "free and independent" The founders construed them as being free and independent of any other state, including the federal government which they created as their agent. The states delegated certain narrowly defined and enumerated powers to the federal government but preserved sovereignty for themselves.

The Constitution was created by a voluntary association of states and 3 of them, New York, Rhode Island, and Virginia, explicitly reserved the right to withdraw from the union should the federal government ever abuse their liberties. Since all states have equal rights under the Constitution, and no state given more rights than any other, the fact that this contingency was accepted by all other states implies that this right of secession was naturally assumed to be enjoyed by all states. The citizens of the states did not create "a new nation" with the Constitution, they created a compact or confederacy of states.

20. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

No sir, it was always about slavery.

Below is the speech from Alexander H. Stephens, the Vice President of the Confederacy. The speech was made on 21 March 1861 in Savannah, Georgia. I left out the beginning of the speech as it generally deals with the Confederacy's grievance with tariffs and such.

Any emphasis is mine.

It was about slavery.

I will address your other post after I get back from class.