Seatbelt Ticket

Discussion in 'LEO Encounters' started by Aleksfoxtrot, May 26, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aleksfoxtrot

Aleksfoxtrot Active Member

Got pulled over for not wearing seatbelt. Was concealed carrying. Didn't notify, wasn't an issue.
    The issue is he wrote me a ticket. And everything is totally blank except the court date. He signed it, but it isn't legible. I don't even know what officer pulled me over. His name, isn't on the ticket. My name or address or license number isn't on the ticket. It's all blank. Even the charges section is blank.
    Can I get it dropped?

2. Nemo

Nemo Man of Myth and Legend

I guess he forgot the sheet of carbon paper between the 2 pages.

Nemo

3. Aleksfoxtrot

His signature barely came through and mine barely came through. But NOTHING else is written. Except court date. I don't mind paying fines when I did something wrong. I hate revenue grabbing seatbelt fines though. They don't keep anyone safe it's just about money. The cop was nice enough. Didn't have a problem with him.

4. CoffeeMate

CoffeeMate Junior Butt Warmer

Take the citation number circled at the top and use the phone number circled in the middle, and see what happens.

5. a_springfield

a_springfield Well-Known Member

Are they on electronic tickets and just using the paper ones for info instead of a printer.

6. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

You might be able to delay the case but you're not going to escape a prosecution and ultimately a conviction if the cop or the Solicitor wants to see this prosecuted.
    If you show up in court on the right day and time this combined with the fact that you signed the back of the ticket and acknowledged it is probably going to be sufficient for a judge to rule that you understand what you're charged with.
    I remember reading a Supreme Court of Georgia opinion from the 1940s that basically said a ticket on a misdemeanor only needs to give you the court date and absolutely no other information is necessary; as long as you are told when to come to court that is where you will learn the nature of the charge against you .

But this probably doesn't apply to modern universal tickets summons accusations, because those have to be issued in accordance with Georgia law. Georgia statutory law, O.C.G.A., does not give any details about what must be in a ticket or how it is issued. All of that is left up to the rules of the department of public safety. As a matter of administrative law.

If a cop issues you a ticket that is legally void because it is not filled out enough to satisfy the departments administrative rules, you may avoid being prosecuted on that particular ticket --however the cop could just write you another one.
    Also the traffic solicitor could write a formal accusation. (in other states this is called an information).

7. MedicOxford

MedicOxford New Member

It woulda been funny if a motorcycle cop wrote you for not wearing your seatbelt...

8. Aleksfoxtrot

Ha-ha. Yes it would.

9. xd45packer

xd45packer Member

Had that happen once in Kennesaw... daggone hypocrites. :lol:

10. Tom S.

Tom S. Member

Haven't had a seatbelt ticket in years . . .

I thought the fine was something like $15 and you just paid it at the courthouse and moved on. Is a ticket written like this to REQUIRE that you show up for a court date? That seems like a waste of government resources for something that was designed just to raise revenue. Next thing you know SWAT teams will be responding to seat belt stops in armored vehicles.
    Tom

11. Aleksfoxtrot

Ha-ha. No I can pay it online or ever the phone. Purely revenue. And they know no one is going to miss out on work over 15$.

12. TITAN308

TITAN308 :) :) :)

Edit: NM, read a reply wrong.

13. AtlPhilip

AtlPhilip Proud GCO member.

Demand a jury trial. Bring in volumes and volumes of evidence concerning seatbelts. Drag it on for a couple of weeks. Be sure to challenge a couple of the jurors during the trial, have them removed, alternate seated, etcetera. Make sure your closing arguments last at least 3 days.

14. MRD

MRD Member

Can you be charged with court costs requesting a jury trial over a seat belt violation? If not,demand one.

15. WGTactical

WGTactical Member

Insurance companies use the vast resources that we pay in the form of premiums to lobby for many laws including the ones regarding seat belts, and these laws are often considered tools for the police to conduct a traffic stop...not so much for the seat belt infraction as an opportunity to fish for something even greater. So the next time you mail off your insurance premium, remember that part of that money will be used to help restrict your opportunities to make poor decisions :wink:

16. moe mensale

moe mensale Well-Known Member

Seat belt laws, helmet laws, Affordable Care Act, etc, etc are nothing more than industry lobbyists and the pols joining forces to pass laws that make money for the specific industry but more importantly set precedents that the state has the right to dictate its citizens' actions thereby chipping away at individual freedoms over time.

17. Aleksfoxtrot

Hmmm and the GOVERNMENT requires insurance to drive on the roads we pay for as well. Interesting link. Wow they're just making money all around aren't they?

18. WGTactical

WGTactical Member

Requirements and laws always follow the act of diminishing personal responsibility. Definitely the foundation that these crazy HOA's that everyone is complaining about are built on.

19. AtlPhilip

AtlPhilip Proud GCO member.

Which is unethical behavior unbecoming of a peace officer.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.