Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.rapidcityjournal.com/news/ar ... 03286.html
The House State Affairs Committee unanimously approved the rule change that will strike a requirement that permit holders be U.S. citizens, as opposed to legal residents.

Monday's vote came just days after a federal judge ruled in favor of Wayne Smith, a Sioux Falls resident and British national, who was denied a permit in Minnehaha County.

The American Civil Liberties Union in South Dakota sued the state on Smith's behalf, arguing that the law violated the Fourteenth Amendment's protection clause in his case.

·
Registered
8,421 Posts
:woohoo:

And ACLU? I wonder if they could get on an equal protection bent regarding may-issue states.

·
Banned
9,358 Posts
Don't know if I like this or not!

·
Member Georgia Carry
11,725 Posts
That's good news. If you're here legally, you should enjoy the same right of self-defense as citizens. Even if a person is here illegally, I would not vote to convict them of a gun crime if they carried one for, or used one in self-defense.

·
Registered
7,594 Posts
I believe it sets good precedent for legal residents, and brings 2A and the rest of the COTUS to the forefront! For that matter, I'd like to see a defense of an "illegal" immigrant's right to defend himself, and I hate what illegals do to this country! Could you imagine the "spin" from such an endeavor?

·
Registered
15,974 Posts
Savvy Jack said:
Don't know if I like this or not!
Why? If you are a legal resident you can own property here. Own a business here. Buy guns here. Work here. Have a family here. Join the military here.

Why shouldn't such a person be able to defend themselves (and family)?

Fyi, such people CAN currently obtain a GWL.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
When I first got my GFL (as it was then) I was a green card holder.

·
Registered
15,974 Posts
They CAN also get NFA devices.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts